Art's Councils are apparently the same all over the world!

Among the recent works funded by Arts Council England was a "painting" consisting of a blank canvas, for which artist Agnieszka Kurant was paid the equivalent of about $2,300 and on which she intends to paint something in the future. Rounding out her exhibition were a "sculpture" that was not really present and a "movie" that had been shot with no film in the camera. [The Sun (London), 12-2-2010]

My girlfriend and I have been increasingly dissatisfied with the exhibits at our local art gallery. So much of the art on display seems to have been chosen through identity politics and a rather ham-fisted take on liberal post-modernism, yet the gallery has a rather extensive and diverse collection in its possession that it rarely, if ever, shows nowadays. We have jokingly discussed creating some "art" like the stuff they display (much of which is done with the skill of an enthusiastic 8th grader) and writing up a submission package filled with the most pretentious clap trap we can think of to see if we can land an exhibit.

Hey, this is my tax money at work, who says I can't have some fun with it? I'll just say it's "performance art."

My girlfriend and I have been increasingly dissatisfied with the exhibits at our local art gallery. So much of the art on display seems to have been chosen through identity politics and a rather ham-fisted take on liberal post-modernism, yet the gallery has a rather extensive and diverse collection in its possession that it rarely, if ever, shows nowadays. We have jokingly discussed creating some "art" like the stuff they display (much of which is done with the skill of an enthusiastic 8th grader) and writing up a submission package filled with the most pretentious clap trap we can think of to see if we can land an exhibit.

Hey, this is my tax money at work, who says I can't have some fun with it? I'll just say it's "performance art."

They have an art gallery in Barrie?

*I'm thinking an old Hammer film with favorites Christopher Lee and Michael Gough (the usual delicious villains) with Gough as a starving artist and Lee as a stiff, overbearing art critic. Lee always downed and insulted poor Gough's work. Then he was shown an abstract painting that he praised and praised. Then Michael Gough brought out the artist for all to see and it was a chimpanzee, thoroughly embarrassing the critic in front of the viewers by their uproarious laughter. Christopher Lee had to do his thing to Michael Gough then. He spared the chimp.