Need input for building a Walk-In Humidor

edameff

Once she is complete, all of my FOH family has a standing invitation to come and share some of my smokes, maybe we can have El Presidente come down and film a video review from the room. Push him guys!! The only problem is that I maintain an absolute "No non-Cuban's allowed in the humidor", but didn't think this through since I am Bulgarian, not Cuban. Now every time I want a cigar, my good buddy Pepe Gonzales has to come over and take one out...he was born in Havana.:surprised:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello to all, yes I am back after a long sabbatical. Due to work, personal issues, but most importantly building my smoking parlor and humidor I now have some unveiling to do. I have spent close to

Anyone who lives in a town with both Punta (as in La Punta) and Gorda (as in Coronas Gordas) and smokes Cuban cigars, who likes my ideas and would build me a shrine of EL's is a "sonofabitch" who, I h

WOW! I'm amazed, it looks better than the average cigar lounge.... You should be very proud of your hard work and dedication!

Can't wait to see the final result. Your humidor seems extremely well stocked :)

TropDoc...this is simply awesome...so awesome that I don't even have words to describe how awesome your smoking parlor is. Enjoy it man...it appears to be well earned.

• 8 years later...
On 1/20/2011 at 8:03 PM, PigFish said:

I am gonna' toss some ideas at you Doc.

I would likely prepare the walls with DensGlass or greenboard. I would use no taping material that could mold in the future. I would likely ventilate the DensGlass to open space and then use a Tyvek vapor barrier, inverted, or permeable side in and seal the Tyvek with tape. I would fir an open space between the Tyvek and the finished surface. The finished surface would not be a laminate of any kind (plywood) unless it was marine grade which would likely defeat the other substrate work.

I would use Spanish Cedar and in planks perpendicular to the furring, at least 1/4 inch think, 3/8th would be better and rabbit the edges for either a T&G or shiplap configuration. I would use a quality stainless deck screw to attach the lumber or if you must a SS finish nail.

I would finish by using a double paned, exterior grade 1 3/4", multi-light door, probably mahogany in a Q-lon fitted exterior jamb with a Q-lon threshold. Finish with a deadbolt and lever, with no finish applied to the interior surfaces.

In a nutshell; my years of building chilled humidors leads me to believe that sealed refrigerated units have inherent flaws. A controlled uni-directional evaporation is desirable. The smell of cedar to overcome any mildew, ammonia or unwanted odors is a must.

Best of luck with the project... I am envious as I wish was building this one myself.

Oh... While I use CMT monitors myself, the use of a data-logging process controller would be better!!! -Ray

Why Tyvek instead of a traditional (non-breathable) vapor barrier plastic? 

And how should the Spanish cedar be installed over the Tyvek? Is it ok to puncture the Tyvek with nails/screws?