Cohiba Lanceros vs Trinidad Fundadores

asmith

Back in 2005, I smoked a '98 Fundadore and '98 Lancero back-to-back. I usually prefer Cohibas, but in this case the Trinidad was the better smoke, primarily because of the stronger, richer flavors. I have some '06 Fundies that are just plain not ready. I've sampled my '06 Lanceros and they are already quite good. I'll stick to the '01s for now. Pure creme caramel.

I agree that the second half of the 01 Lanceros are not as good as the first half. They do get a little hotter and harsher in that last third. I have found these Lanceros require alot of patience and I am hoping that another 5-10 years will change that last half into flavors more in line with opening half. If that happens these will be something really special.

Thanks for the reviews!

At times like these cigars seem a bit trivial, my heart goes out to all who are suffering and I hope we don't lose Ken's deck.

I was wondering if you gave any thought as to which cigar you would smoke first?

I tend to smoke my cigars as I would drink wine, building in power as I go.

To me Trinidad has a heavier flavor profile than Cohiba. When I smoke a Cohiba I think of being able to smoke a piece of sugarcane, Trinidad has more coffee and chocolate notes that give me deeper flavors.

Do you think if you had smoked the Cohiba first you would have enjoyed the last third of it more, not having the Trinidad flavors lingering on your mind and palette?

Thanks for the reviews!

At times like these cigars seem a bit trivial, my heart goes out to all who are suffering and I hope we don't lose Ken's deck.

I was wondering if you gave any thought as to which cigar you would smoke first?

I tend to smoke my cigars as I would drink wine, building in power as I go.

To me Trinidad has a heavier flavor profile than Cohiba. When I smoke a Cohiba I think of being able to smoke a piece of sugarcane, Trinidad has more coffee and chocolate notes that give me deeper flavors.

Do you think if you had smoked the Cohiba first you would have enjoyed the last third of it more, not having the Trinidad flavors lingering on your mind and palette?

Good question.

In retrospect I would have smoked the Lancero first. I still believe I would have picked the fact that it lost its way in terms of delivering utility into the back end. I agree with Brian1 that it may just be a matter of time for the back section to be as good as the first.

• 3 months later...

Last weekend i Smoked a Lancero that had been aging in my humidor for 7 months it was excellent but i have t agree i would take half of the Fundadores and half Lancero but over all it was an amazing smoke!