Pinar del Rio Sublimes

Edit 3/1/2011: When i originally wrote this review, i was very sure that these cigars were Robaina padrinos (cigars that come from the Vegas Robaina in Cuba, from leaf grown there, and rolled there). Now, after receiving a lot of feedback from readers who have been to the farm, and personally received cigars from the Alejandro Robaina (e.g. the Flying Cigar), i’m not as sure as before. Their experience (with photos) show that the padrinos have a much lighter wrapper, though the size and the unfinished foot do match the padrino profile. Let me say that, despite the doubt, this in no way alters the review of cigar i had — which i will now rename to its proper commercial name, the PdR Sublimes — it is the best cigar i’ve had in 2010.

Looks like i’ll have to wait a bit longer to smoke cigar i can be sure fulfills the promise made to me by Alejandro Robaina.

After a year of smoking some great cigars, providence would have it that i would smoke my best cigar of the year on the very last day, just hours before the new year arrived. After receiving it a few weeks ago, i was always planning to smoke it on New Year’s Eve — it’s a special occasion smoke. And now that the moment has passed, i feel that the 1 stick i had was certainly not enough. I’ll have to order more.

But, i’m getting ahead of myself. Every good cigar comes with a good story, and this one is no different. The story starts 5 years ago.

That’s night, Alejandro Robaina and his grandson, Hiroshi, visited Kuala Lumpur, and for one night only, graced a local divan/restaurant. It was a fantastic night, and despite his age, the charisma emanating from this man was as thick as butter; you could cut through it with a knife. There were good cigars going around, the finger food was tasty, and the company was excellent. It was as though the creme de la creme of the nation’s cigar community had turned up to honor the man.

Despite the mad rush for his attention, i was fortunate enough to spend 5 minutes with him, all to myself. In that short time, he asked me, “How do you like Vegas Robaina cigars?” I answered, “They are very nice, but i know that the tobacco that goes in them doesn’t always come from your farm.” We were talking through a translator. He chuckled at my answer, and as a goodbye, he said, “Then one day you shall come to my farm in Cuba, and i’ll give you a cigar that comes from my fields, 100%”.

Over the years since, i’ve found out that these mystical cigars do exist, and are given as gifts to friends of the Robaina family. I’ve spent a lot of time imagining the day when the Robaina promise would be made good. As fate would have it, i would indeed smoke one of these cigars, called Robaina Padrinos, or Robaina farm-rolled cigars, but via a roundabout way. These cigars have recently found their way off the island, and are now commercially available in very limited qualities.

padrino-2.jpg

padrino-4.jpg

padrino-11.jpg

padrino-17.jpg

Full pics and the rest of the review on my blog.

One of my favorite cigars. I was fortunate enough to pick up a bundle from the farm last Jan and I'm hoping to get my hands on more in Feb. They are an awesome cigar!

When i originally wrote this review, i was very sure that these cigars were Robaina padrinos (cigars that come from the Vegas Robaina in Cuba, from leaf grown there, and rolled there). Now, after receiving a lot of feedback from readers who have been to the farm, and personally received cigars from the Alejandro Robaina (e.g. the Flying Cigar), i’m not as sure as before. Their experience (with photos) show that the padrinos have a much lighter wrapper, though the size and the unfinished foot do match the padrino profile. Let me say that, despite the doubt, this in no way alters the review of cigar i had — which i will now rename to its proper commercial name, the PdR Sublimes — it is the best cigar i’ve had in 2010.

Looks like i’ll have to wait a bit longer to smoke cigar i can be sure fulfills the promise made to me by Alejandro Robaina.