Christmas 2010 cigar review.......(Cohiba maduro 5 siglo 6 - unknown box code, likely recent production).

Background to this smoke:

Well with christmas been and gone I've decided to pull out a big gun maduro siglo 6. Cohiba is my favourite marca along with bolivar and increasingly partagas (thansk to shorts and 898). I also like the occasional padron maduro. I like the maduro profile although i struggle to describe it, something like a dark chocolate cement mix lol!!

On chrissy day I actually didn't have a habanos, but henry wintemans and king edwards !!! Thats what my uncles and cousins like so hey thats what i smoked. My great uncle smoked a pipe.

Let me paint a picture of an Australian christmas (well my version). It's too hot to have lunch so we sleep during the day then get up to go to my Aunbty's at 2 and start the beers/wine. We have a seafood and salad starter meal around 3. crayfish and prawns yum! Then we go for a swim in the pool (it was still 38 celcius at that stage). Then we have the annual cricket Xmas test match. these used to be fiery affairs but as we kids have got older (all 20's now) the game barely went half an hour, and I lost lol still good fun.

Around 6pm we had a lovely roast "lunch" with heaps of turkey, ham, duck and salads. good stuff.

then we sat around talking, had our cigars and then around 8pm had some lovely pavlova (an Aussie/Kiwi dessert dish - soooo good)

Anyway today was another very hot day so left my cigar till night. Pretty good so far...

1st:

creamy, bit of milk choclate, mild pepper through the nose and cream.

slightest hint of rum and raisin and also some darker maduro flavours.

bit of coffee and pepper on the tongue but suprisingly mild.

Body is barely touchin medium, actually below medium. It looks and feels like a "cartel cigar" but its a bit of a sheep in wolves clothing.

draw is perfect, and the bigger ring guage feels comfy, good smoke volume.

2nd -

more of the same. very much enjoying this. high quality tobacco, creamy and darker pepper at the same time. a bit more strength would be welcome though. also, at this stage, zero evolution and little complexity. its excellent but its not taking me on a journey....

3rd-

a little bit more strenght building through the nose, nice and creamy and peppery.

Can't see any resemblance to the cohiba siglo 6 really, maybe slightly grassy, and certainly creamy and nice tobacco.

burning very, very quickly but no hot harsh notes.

Final notes/score:

Well what a tasty smoke. great construction, draw and smoke was ON. nice maduro flavours and the mild to medium profile was a nice change from the normal heavy maduros. I find the secretos cohiba maduro a fuller smoke for sure. I liked the big size (normally a PC kind of guy).

Didn't "tell a story" but I'm no grinch over christmas so I'll give it a 91.

Merry XMAS and happy NY brothers and sisters of the leaf!

Dicko

post-5585-1293542595.jpg

post-5585-1293542663.jpg

Sounds like a great day, made me want to be there. Too much snow in NY for me. Thanks for the review.

Thanks mate. Yeah, there's a lot to be said for christmas in summer but a white christmas in New York is definitely on my 'bucket list'. One day.

Ah yes.. The Genios is a fine XMas cigar. :surprised: Nice review. I envy your weather. Smoking in the house is a non starter for me here in chilly Toronto. So all I can do is keep the humidors stable and crack the lids open for a whiff now and then until Spring arrives. :thumbsup:

Great review Dicko!

You are right in that the Genios has no correlation to the Siglo VI in terms of flavour.

Surprisingly a few years back we ran an experiment with cigar roller Yasmin where we removed the wrappers from the Genios and a Siglo VI....changed them over.

Well, the modified Genios tasted like a Siglo VI and the Siglo VI tasted like a Genios so two things came to mind.

1. the wrapper makes a huuuuuge difference here.

2. the core blend is very similar between both cigars.

We would need to replicate the thest a dozen or so times with different boxes to get a definitive ruling but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone!! Lol, Bundwallah I actually forgot it was called the "genios" ! Thanks for the season well wishes Dbone!

Rob, that's a very interesting experiment, pretty suprising to hear really, I never thought the wrapper would make all that much difference...

I guess the maduro wrapper changes things a lot but. Thanks for sharing boss.

Not meaning to be an own thread bump ***** but just smoking a Montecristo no 3 (corona size i believe, like a 42 rg about 5/6 inches long - imho the perfect size): mini review ensues:

Construction: toothy and dark, v oily. soz no pics cbf plus i have ancient camera.

Draw and burn: draw is perfffect, burn slightly off but no dramas there.

Smoke volume: special mention, huge volumes of smoke, matching the genios for smoke and gthat was generous. nice coating of coffee, cream and light white pepper

Flavours: pretty typical monte IMO, toast, roasted tobacco, coffee, cream, cocao, bit of pepper (black ground not chilli/bell pepper).

damn impressive for a sub 10USD$ smoke.

I know lot's of BOTL's dont rate this stogie but im mirin' this.

solid 88.

In other news moved my cigars from a plastic tupperware and a 50 ct wooden humidor (ebay stylz) to a 25L "eskyidor", the smokes are mcuh better for the change.

Also had an awesome day today if I may share. I know some of you guys (and ladies) are dealing with snow storms and stuff atm but today was perfect beach weather today in Perth, Western Australia. like 31 degrees celcius.

went down with a mate, bummed a lift of him in his "low-lux" (pimped up and lowered hilux lol normally don't like blokes running the low-lux but ill forgive my mate haha). whacked in the surf board but zero swell today, no chance to show off my woeful surfing abilility (think aussie cricket team on a board - total grommet).

walked down to the total dad area between the flags, think bucket hats and rashies everywhere. fortunately heaps of hotties started piling down. heaps of jailbait but (getting too old to perve now..damn! lol). no pics sorry gents.

the water was literally perfect and enjoyed a lovely swim or 3.

mate let slip his sisters thought i was hot, big mistake! reminided him constantly over the day. lol nah they are great girls, really down to earth and genuine.

later had lunch at nando's, destroyed a fiesta with my other mate who joined us. hot and rib sauce IMO opinion best combo. organised golf for tomorrow (again, total crab but will improve hopefully).

slept all arvo so probs will not get to sleep until early morning again :-/

I love the holidays!!! :P:P:)

lol at dumb ass story ^ :P