Cohiba Cognac

Martell Unveils Cohiba Cognac in Hong Kong

www.Luxury-Insider.com

Current Affairs - The Definitive Luxury Blog

By William Stolerman

12/27/2010

Martell has unveiled a Cohiba Cognac in Hong Kong designed to pair seamlessly with Cohiba cigars.

The blend is made from exceptional eaux-de-vie which are aged between 40 and 50 years in oak casks. During this period they take on the wood’s rich notes as well as an amber hue, finishing with 43% alcohol volume – an ideal level for consuming with cigars.

The taste is rounded, smooth and almost sweet, before offering a touch of liquorice and a slightly nutty note.

Priced at HK$5,000, the cognac will be available from January and comes in a bottle depicting a typical Cuban tobacco field.

Is there any validity to the rumor that it was produced in affiliation with HSA?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'll try and dig up a pic.

Is there any validity to the rumor that it was produced in affiliation with HSA?

No rumour, must be authorized by HSA - see :

post-4742-1293615793.jpg

And the difference in the bottles is simply that the earlier producer was Bisquit, the new producer is Martell.

This is the Bisquit bottle :

post-4742-1293615849.jpg

Both the Cohiba 35 Aniv. A and the Bisquit were extraordinary.

post-4742-1293616195.jpg

Nino

Just me or do I remember seeing a Montecristo Cognac? or was that rum?

That is Montecristo Edmundo Dantes 15 yr old rum - presented at the 2007 Festival, produced in Santiago de Cuba, supposedly only 3000 bottles per year, around 100 € in Germany.

Excellent rum, we drank it while tasting the Robaina Padrinos and liked it very much.

post-4742-1293621262.jpg

Nino

Great thread Trimble and also some great news & photos from Nino. Here is my story about this great Cognac.

The first tasting I had of the Cohiba Cognac Extra made by "Bisquit"was in Feb. 1999 , at the first Festival del Habanos in Havana.

The first world tasting of this fantastic Cognac was at the Gala Dinner held at the end of the Festival and the cigar that was smoked at the Dinner was a unique cigar that has never again been presented to the public, the cigar was the Trinidad Robusto A, It was long as the Monty A and the ring gauge as a Robusto.

ANYWAY, To make a VERY long story short,when I got back from Cuba, I sent a letter to Jacque Rouvière , who was the Maître de Chai (cellar master) at Bisquit and asked him if it would be possible to organize an evening here in Nimes with our cigar club and 2 other cigar clubs from the south of France .

Monsieur Rouvière was very enthusiastic about the event. He said that he would be present and it would be a pleasure for him to have all the club members taste this great Cognac.

On that evening here in Nimes, Jacque Rouvière told us the story of how HSA was looking for a Cognac to paire with the Cohiba Robusto but this Cognac had to be a great Cognac, one that was truly exceptional.

So with this in mind,HSA created an International contest in 1998, with the few countries that made Cognac or Brandy in the world.

Not only did the winner have to create the very best, but they had to have the the aged reserves to make a decent production.

Bisquit presented the Jury with this exceptional cognac made up from 40 to 50 years old cognac to create the Cohiba Cognac blend and they won. The interesting thing was that Bisquit was only able to make 3.000 bottles a year of this blend and only for 9 years, after that, they could never make it again.

The new launching of the Cohiba Extra Cognac this last year is the house of MARTELL and also with a blend of 40 to 50 years old Cognac. I have no Idea on how many bottles Martell can make in the year or for how long but, you can be sure that it will also be very limited.

Here are a few pics. and the last few drops that remain from my 1999 bottle. A last salute to an exceptional Cognac.

post-3705-1293637034.jpg

post-3705-1293637292.jpg

post-3705-1293637409.jpg

post-3705-1293637494.jpg

post-3705-1293637566.jpg

post-3705-1293637636.jpg

post-3705-1293637698.jpg