Padron 1926 Figurado

In my limited experience, Padrons don't age well. If I'm not mistaken, Jose Padron makes it a point that his cigars are intended to be smoked "right from the truck". The Anniversary series was disappointing, especially for the price.

But then, so did almost all CCs I've smoked to date. I decided not to bother with the trouble of getting CCs. I'm going to see if my box of Punch del Punch or HDM Epi #1 will finally yield a satisfying stick in a few years, but other than that - not worth the trouble.

One can find an NC for any palette, IMHO, if only bothered to experiment. In cigars, expensive RARELY means great. I do understand that NCs are expensive and difficult to get in the rest of the world.

I must say the Punch del Punch and HDM Epi 1 are two interesting selections. Both renowned for needing some age.

A great Monte 4 or current Magnum 46 would deliver far more utility fresh.

I have had some great NC's but I wonder if in the main the great years are behind them. The original LGC Wavel Maduro's, Original Borhani's, Original SLR were excellent cigars. All went to crap (talk about lack of consistency).

Padron holds the line in terms of quality and consistency. You may like or dislike their marketing/pricing but you can't argue that they deliver just what they promise....everytime. On the other end of the spectrum Opus....with out doubt the most disappoining cigars I have ever tried (around 30 of them over 10 years). Pure marketing drivel (IMHO).

Tatuaje, I have had some good ones and plenty of trash. Torano hasn't made a decent cigar in years. CAO/Patel/Perdomo leave me cold. La Flor Dominicana I quite enjoy for a one trick ligero pony. Davidoff, La Perla, Puros Indios, Ghurka, .......blech. Ashton VSG were far better 5 years ago than they are today, don't know why.

There is a sameness which isn't difficult to see why when the incestuous relationships are looked at (contract rolling).

Not one non Cuban cigar delivers complexity or change as far as I have seen over the years and that is their key challenge if they really want to challenge the markets of Europe/Middle East and Asia. They have all tried over the past 10 years to crack those markets and invariably have failed dismally. Few people purchase twice (Padron/Davidoff and to a lesser extent Newman/Fuente are the exceptions).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it's the same thing you have, but I just bought a couple of Padron 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro (the perfecto shape) for $30 USD each. They were awful. Started out way too peppery - like smoking a habanero pepper. The spice eventually mellowed out a bit, but the nicotine buzz was so strong my head started to spin. Neither one of us could finish the cigars beyond half-way.

I typically like medium-to-strong cigars, but this one was over-the-top for me. I'll never buy one again, especially at that price...

I have had some great NC's but I wonder if in the main the great years are behind them. The original LGC Wavel Maduro's, Original Borhani's, Original SLR were excellent cigars. All went to crap (talk about lack of consistency).

Padron holds the line in terms of quality and consistency. You may like or dislike their marketing/pricing but you can't argue that they deliver just what they promise....everytime. On the other end of the spectrum Opus....with out doubt the most disappoining cigars I have ever tried (around 30 of them over 10 years). Pure marketing drivel (IMHO).

Tatuaje, I have had some good ones and plenty of trash. Torano hasn't made a decent cigar in years. CAO/Patel/Perdomo leave me cold. La Flor Dominicana I quite enjoy for a one trick ligero pony. Davidoff, La Perla, Puros Indios, Ghurka, .......blech. Ashton VSG were far better 5 years ago than they are today, don't know why.

There is a sameness which isn't difficult to see why when the incestuous relationships are looked at (contract rolling).

The sameness from the contract rolling is the problem......

It is hard to get consistent quality and blending from South America. They often like to try and substitute things hoping you wont notice, and most of the time when quality control is not done, it happens very easily.

The late Tatuajes have been somewhat disappointing, where the new production broadleaf offerings seem to be not as flavorful as the previous limited release due to materials offerings. I believe the wrappers changed not long ago, and what made them good make them subdued now.

As far as the premium Padrons, I dont go for them much, as I feel as though the cigar never satisfies for the price.

Dominicans as a whole leave me feeling cheated. There is something they are lacking that I find diminishes the experience. I had a 4 year old Opus the other day. Was nothing like the hype machine has put out there.

Tabacalera Tropical is doing some good things in Honduras right now with Nicaraguan leaf. The Illusione Le Matin... I am in love. Such a sweetness from the cold draw that continues through the cigar, diminishing, then coming back out again... sweet turns into coffee... wonderful. I am anticipating trying the Casa Fernandez once it warms up this weekend. I quite enjoyed the Arsenio from 2009, I am hoping the Aganorsa Leaf holds up well.

I will try and track down an Illusione Le Matin.

Many will not know I have actually distributed here in Oz for NC makers in the past. In the end I gave up doing so due predominantly to inconsistency of flavour. Excluding the major independents (Padron/Fuente) the rest change factories, contractors, blends as often as I change my jackets (every two years). In the mid to late 90's Tony Borhani had something special going on. He reached celebrity status and everything fell apart (cigar wise) due to demand/growth. Puros Indios had a good thing going and fell apart. Alec Bradley had a good thing going and fell apart. The list is almost endless.

I have always been a critic of HSA when they screw up (and God knows they do). However after 10 thousand cuban cigars plus in the past decade I get brilliance enough times to keep me excited.

In the mid to late 90's Tony Borhani had something special going on.

Yes he did, and since we are bringing up memories of the 90s NC cigars, the General Cigar people should be put in a Turkish prison for what they did the the La Gloria Cubana line after they bought EPC El Credito .

I see the same trend in CC that I saw in NC. All the tobacco from regular production cigars that made them so rock solid and consistent got repackaged and marketed into "premium" lines, i.e. AF green bands and DC --> Opus X, Padron 1964 ---> 1926 and 40th, 80th, 44/45/46 ect.

Does anybody wonder where all the tobacco went that was used for all the discontinued lines? :D

I guess I should count myself lucky that I got saved from the dark side and I'm not chasing all that exorbitantly priced F/N product.

Ok, rant over.

Yes he did, and since we are bringing up memories of the 90s NC cigars, the General Cigar people should be put in a Turkish prison for what they did the the La Gloria Cubana line after they bought EPC El Credito .

I see the same trend in CC that I saw in NC. All the tobacco from regular production cigars that made them so rock solid and consistent got repackaged and marketed into "premium" lines, i.e. AF green bands and DC --> Opus X, Padron 1964 ---> 1926 and 40th, 80th, 44/45/46 ect.

You said it brother. That little shop in miami produced gold.

Tatuaje were also awesome when they first hit the market.

I seem to be one of the few here in the US who finds Padrons to be vastly overrated. I used to like the Anniversarios years ago when they were first introduced -- and I still try one every now and then -- but have not had one I've enjoyed in years. And the prices are just ridiculous. If I'm going to smoke a Nicaraguan cigar I'll take a Tatuaje or some of the other Pepin-Garcia smokes.

I must say the Punch del Punch and HDM Epi 1 are two interesting selections. Both renowned for needing some age.

I was afraid of you saying exactly that.

A great Monte 4 or current Magnum 46 would deliver far more utility fresh.

I'm not touching Montecristo with the 10 foot pole. From the 10 #4 I smoked, including fiver of I've got from Czars, every one was horrible. Monte 2's where meh. At $12 stick, I can't see how is this any value at all.

I must say I was really looking into getting a box of Magnum 46, but since my last attempt at obtaining a box of Partagas D4 failed, I'm wary of going the length of obtaining CCs again.

I have had some great NC's but I wonder if in the main the great years are behind them.

Most people say the exact opposite. Many people believe we are experiencing the golden age of NC. Most are most excited of the future possibilities of blending cuban tobacco with nicaraguan etc.

I am far from doubting experiences of people on this board, especially not the Prez's :) . My only reliable point of reference is MY personal experience, which seems to be the exact opposite of peoples' on this board. Just last week I smoked my 'one a month' Punch from my box, followed by Padilla Dominus PC, with the latter being far more satisfying than the former (I like Dominus in corona gorda far better, btw). I find my favorites' consistency be almost 100%, as long as they get one week rest in my humidor after arriving.

Well, at least guys on Dog Watch Cigar Radio seem to mirror my own experience with CCs :P

I was afraid of you saying exactly that.

I'm not touching Montecristo with the 10 foot pole. From the 10 #4 I smoked, including fiver of I've got from Czars, every one was horrible. Monte 2's where meh. At $12 stick, I can't see how is this any value at all.

I must say I was really looking into getting a box of Magnum 46, but since my last attempt at obtaining a box of Partagas D4 failed, I'm wary of going the length of obtaining CCs again.

Most people say the exact opposite. Many people believe we are experiencing the golden age of NC. Most are most excited of the future possibilities of blending cuban tobacco with nicaraguan etc.

I am far from doubting experiences of people on this board, especially not the Prez's :) . My only reliable point of reference is MY personal experience, which seems to be the exact opposite of peoples' on this board. Just last week I smoked my 'one a month' Punch from my box, followed by Padilla Dominus PC, with the latter being far more satisfying than the former (I like Dominus in corona gorda far better, btw). I find my favorites' consistency be almost 100%, as long as they get one week rest in my humidor after arriving.

Well, at least guys on Dog Watch Cigar Radio seem to mirror my own experience with CCs :P

While I might be a kind-of-a "rag" when it comes to things I don't like, or disagree with, I find these comments disappointing. While this is a primarily Cuban cigar board and I typically speak my rather harsh rhetoric for non-Cuban cigars and move on; I truly hate to see this happen.

I am hard on cigars, not just non-Cuban cigars but all cigars. I trash anything that I see wrong in the industry and the product as a consumer has a right to. I am H SA harshest critic on this board. Anyone care to strip me of the title? Go right ahead.

I stepped in here not to give you grief amigo but just to slap you around a bit. Why? Because as a Christian sees the athiest as missing God's greatest gift, I see you missing out on the best cigars in the world because you chose the wrong cigars to sample. Whether I call them wrong, or you call them wrong is of little consequence. There is no real wrong in it other than the fact that you did not find the CC superior to what you have been smoking. I am not saying that it can't happen, or there is something wrong with you as a result, I am just saying that you are actually contrary to a lot of empirical evidence as many people see it. I can see where you would give up. I can see where you would say, "Piggy it is not your business or affair," but my point is not to control you but to ask you to give CC's another chance, one cigar lover to another.

You chose to try some of the most overrated and overproduced cigars in the CC line. While you could have been disappointed because they are not you your liking, you may very well have been disappointed because you got some shitty cigars!!! You see I am not judging your tastes, but I am judging the quality of the CC's you chose.

I would ask you to have Rob choose you some singles. Let him choose some for you, from stock that he has sampled and will vouch for. Have him pick a few thinner ring cigars, some different PC's and when it comes to the more popular cigars, let him pick a few that he thinks are superior today. That is all that I ask. Give'm a fair shot! I think you will change your mind. -Last Chance Piggy

Because as a Christian ... my point is not to control you but to ask you to give CC's another chance, one cigar lover to another.

I may, at some point in the future. Right now, I'm not sure I want to bother and spend the money. I got my box of La Traviata Animado's this months, plus, the ammo needs its own monthly allotment. This IDPA habit is not cheap either :P

BTW, I'm Jewish, not quite atheist :)

You chose to try some of the most overrated and overproduced cigars in the CC line. While you could have been disappointed because they are not you your liking, you may very well have been disappointed because you got some shitty cigars!!! You see I am not judging your tastes, but I am judging the quality of the CC's you chose.

I would ask you to have Rob choose you some singles. Let him choose some for you, from stock that he has sampled and will vouch for. Have him pick a few thinner ring cigars, some different PC's and when it comes to the more popular cigars, let him pick a few that he thinks are superior today. That is all that I ask. Give'm a fair shot! I think you will change your mind. -Last Chance Piggy

Actually, I did. I got 2 "tasters" on advice from Lisa (November and December 09). That was the reason I've got my box of Punch.

3 Partagas Serie P No. 2 A/T, 3 Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2, 2 Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Des Dieux, 2 Vegas Robaina Famosos

3 Rafael Gonzalez Petite Coronas, 3 Bolivar Petite Coronas, 5 Diplomaticos No. 4, 3 Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Prince, 3 Cohiba Siglo II, 3 Partagas Shorts, 3 Por Larranaga Petite Coronas, 3 Ramon Allones Especially Selecte, 5 Montecristo No. 4, 3 Punch Petite Coronas Del Punch, 3 R&J Petit Coronas (this was a mistake made in packaging, so I got R&J free!)

I repeat again that I do not doubt experiences people on this board seem to have. But I have to go by MY experiences. YMMV, and does.

I may, at some point in the future. Right now, I'm not sure I want to bother and spend the money. I got my box of La Traviata Animado's this months, plus, the ammo needs its own monthly allotment. This IDPA habit is not cheap either :P

BTW, I'm Jewish, not quite atheist :P

Actually, I did. I got 2 "tasters" on advice from Lisa. That was the reason I've got my box of Punch.

From Szar: 3 Rafael Gonzalez Petite Coronas, 3 Bolivar Petite Coronas, 5 Diplomaticos No. 4, 3 Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Prince, 3 Cohiba Siglo II, 3 Partagas Shorts, 3 Por Larranaga Petite Coronas, 3 Ramon Allones Especially Selecte, 5 Montecristo No. 4, 3 Punch Petite Coronas Del Punch, 3 Rafael Gonzalez Petite Coronas,3 Partagas Serie P No. 2 A/T, 3 Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2, 2 Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Des Dieux, 2 Vegas Robaina Famosos.

I repeat again that I do not doubt experiences people on this board seem to have. But I have to go by MY experiences. YMMV, and does.

Never accused you of being an atheist mate!!! :) Looks like you got some smokes I would love in that mix... I guess if you don't like them then CC's are just not for you.

We do have something in common though. While I am not a member of IDPA I did actively shoot IPSC in the 80's and 90's. I know the ammo cost, especially today but I have used Dillon reloading equipment for... Jesus it must be over 30 years now! Hopefully you are a reloader.

Cheers brother, shoot safe, smoke what you like.

One of my bygone era comp pistols.

post-79-1293653367.jpg

Never accused you of being an atheist mate!!! :) Looks like you got some smokes I would love in that mix... I guess if you don't like them then CC's are just not for you.

We do have something in common though. While I am not a member of IDPA I did actively shoot IPSC in the 80's and 90's. I know the ammo cost, especially today but I have used Dillon reloading equipment for... Jesus it must be over 30 years now! Hopefully you are a reloader.

Cheers brother, shoot safe, smoke what you like.

One of my bygone era comp pistols.

Thanks, brother!

I hope I'll come across a CC that will blow my mind. I'm not holding my breath, though :P

Nice IPSC setup! Fortunately, I shoot 9mm, so ammo is easier on the wallet than that .45 sport machine you have there! Plus IDPA is more forgiving for using standard equipment. I just shoot my S&W M&P with APEX trigger. Talk about fun activity in the company of nice people!

Reloading is definitely something I will look into, just need to make sure my hobby will last and justify the high start-up costs.

Thanks, brother!

I hope I'll come across a CC that will blow my mind. I'm not holding my breath, though :D

Nice IPSC setup! Fortunately, I shoot 9mm, so ammo is easier on the wallet than that .45 sport machine you have there! Plus IDPA is more forgiving for using standard equipment. I just shoot my S&W M&P with APEX trigger. Talk about fun activity in the company of nice people!

Reloading is definitely something I will look into, just need to make sure my hobby will last and justify the high start-up costs.

This rig is a 38 Super Automatic. You're right about IPSC, you needed to make major or you were not competitive. 9's could not be loaded to SAAMI specs. and make major and were not allowed to be loaded to make the grade. I shot 45 ACP for a while as a novice but you needed to load 155 gr, really squatty SWC bullets to bring up the pressure and make the comps work. 45 ACP was not a good IPSC pistol choice either, low pressure, too fat a round. I have a pic of a really trick 10mm pistol I had made around here somewhere. That pistol shoots nice but the cartridge is too long and the action is not crisp like the 38 Super or a .40. The 10mm was built by the guy who invented the 40 SW but they were only a wildcat at the time and called the Centimeter wildcat; a cut down 10mm, reamed to fit, cut to about 45 length. Way too much work for the brass.

I could go on and on and threadjack gun history so I will quit now. You should look into Dillon. One of their Square Deal B machines for your 9 would probably save you a bundle. I was shooting around 3K rounds a week in my hay-day. No way could have shot that even with surplus rounds and my rent!

Cheers mate! -Piggy

I was shooting around 3K rounds a week in my hay-day. No way could have shot that even with surplus rounds and my rent!

OMG! 3K rounds of 38 Super a Week? Now I see how you think box of Cohibas is cheap :P:D

I'm not getting to 1K a month, thank god, in 9mm!

But enough of the thread-jack, mate. Cheers!

I myself quite enjoy the Padron line cigars and are pretty much the only NC's I enjoy albeit the price here is way more expensive than a good CC.

Slightly off topic, I tried an Oliva Series V Figarudo the other day which I quite enjoyed however whilst it was a smooth full bodied cigar, it was rather one dimensional. The great exception however was the price, it was only around $32 bucks which was great compared to the Padrons which are alot higher in price. :lifepreserver:

I myself quite enjoy the Padron line cigars and are pretty much the only NC's I enjoy albeit the price here is way more expensive than a good CC.

Slightly off topic, I tried an Oliva Series V Figarudo the other day which I quite enjoyed however whilst it was a smooth full bodied cigar, it was rather one dimensional. The great exception however was the price, it was only around $32 bucks which was great compared to the Padrons which are alot higher in price. :(

I think Oliva makes some very nice cigars. The Serie V is the best of the line though. Definitely a good smoke, and the beauty of Oliva here in the states is that their releases are all very affordable. There is a maduro version of the Serie V that comes out once a year as well. This is another non-CC that I always have on hand.

I think Oliva makes some very nice cigars. The Serie V is the best of the line though. Definitely a good smoke, and the beauty of Oliva here in the states is that their releases are all very affordable. There is a maduro version of the Serie V that comes out once a year as well. This is another non-CC that I always have on hand.

In the V line, I prefer the lancero, by far. Personally, I prefer the much overlooked Serie O, which is cheaper to boot: maduro robusto is lovely creamy dusty cocoa/chocolate cigar, while natural #4 is a nutty/coffee/tobacco flavour bomb (this one is quite strong, too). The consistency is astounding - never had a 'meh' one. Flavours are complex, but do not change much, which is no problem for me. I've had few O's with about 5 years of age on them: completely different cigar, very complex: starts with floral bouquet then evolves into chocolate/coffee/nuts you get from the younger Serie O.

Then again, I may be imagining things. Do I care? Absolutely not! I enjoy it, that all that matters :P

Having said that: $32 for a cigar? :(;):o I can't even imagine paying that much for ANY cigar. It will have to perform oral sex on me, at least, for that kind of money

Last third.

Has developed into a full bodied cigar with plenty of Ligero kick. It is out of whack in terms of nuance/balance. Intriguing but has missed the boat with overuse of Ligero in the back end.

Interesting observation Prez, I find the 1926 line very consistent from cigar to cigar, that is the best thing about Padrons. I do agree with you that the balance is off, with too much ligero overwhelming the palate.

Interesting observation Prez, I find the 1926 line very consistent from cigar to cigar, that is the best thing about Padrons. I do agree with you that the balance is off, with too much ligero overwhelming the palate.

I think that the 1964s are more balanced, the 26s are for those smokers looking for that extra kick.

The Oliva Series V Maduro is a legit NC cigar. I think it's the nicest cigar Oliva makes. The Masterblends are pretty good as well, but I'm not a big fan of box press cigars generally.

The Oliva Series V Maduro is a legit NC cigar. I think it's the nicest cigar Oliva makes. The Masterblends are pretty good as well, but I'm not a big fan of box press cigars generally.

Oliva, for a non cuban cigar, is a decent smoke. Though I limit myself or try to not smoke Nicaraguan cigars, I feel that it may throw my palet off kilter. I smoke cubans, the best smokes in the world....