iPad: Yay or Nay?

All:

To those of you who have an iPad or know of someone who does, what would you say the pros/cons are? I've done a good bit of research as well as have seen and read a ton of reviews, but I would like personal, real life feedback from present iPad users.

I realize the iPad is NOT a laptop 'replacement' by any means -- I would primarily be using it around my house (hanging out on the couch or in the bedroom) for browsing the web, reading books, and maybe a movie here and there. I also do NOT plan on buying the 3G service (WiFi only) and I'm looking at the base model (16GB).

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

I have the wi fii version and love it. Mind you I also have a desktop and laptop for work so I use it just as you describe. I play with it on my front porch each morning reading news etc while I smoke a cigar and mess around with it just lounging on my couch. Like you say, it is not a replacement by any means. Just a nice toy.

I have the wi fii version and love it. Mind you I also have a desktop and laptop for work so I use it just as you describe. I play with it on my front porch each morning reading news etc while I smoke a cigar and mess around with it just lounging on my couch. Like you say, it is not a replacement by any means. Just a nice toy.

Thanks for the reply.

Would you say the 16GB one would suffice?

The iPad rocks! Bought one for my wife's birthday. She is NOT a computer person by any means and she loves it! We have the WiFi version with 32GB (the Apple store ran out of the 16GB). She shops, surfs, emails, and watches shows on Netflicks in bed, on the sofa, and at the table. It has a great form factor that isn't a desktop, laptop, or iPhone - it fills a particular technical niche very nicely in our household. :D

16 gb is more than plenty unless you plan on storing a lot of movies. They are the space hogs. Pics, apps, and songs take up very little space.

Okay great. And no, I probably wouldn't be storing many movies, if any at all.

I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but eventually broke down and got one. It is very useful, for Netflix movies, news, or sitting out on the porch or patio while surfing FoH or buying cigars online. It is more than a toy than a computer, but it is a useful toy and one that you should be able to get a lot of use out of.

I bought one on launch and it gets used every day. Sofa companion, books, movies, email, apps, all from an instant on / instant off tablet. Where I live, I can even control my cable box with it. Family loves seeing pictures on it. But it's what I would call a consumer level product. Not to say it can't be used commercially, but it's limitations separates it from a laptop. No file system is a big downer. When you work with apps like the iWork suite all saved files are saved online.

I agree with the previous post. I def. doesnt replace a laptop... Just keep in mind that you are probably still going to be dumping money into it because all the good apps cost money... I bought the 3g version which I think is a good idea. Because the Ipad is about APPS! If you leave the house you cant use them.

I can see its uses but I ditched mine for a Fujitsu T900 Tablet (finger touch and play).

The Ipad simply had too many limitations for me. I found myself needing to take two computer devices wherever I went. I only wan to take one.

I can appreciate its strengths but just could not live with its weaknesses.

Get the new MacBook Air and have the extreme portability along with some serious computing power and a dedicated graphics card that plays movies beautifully. I don't like how you can't plug in peripherals to the Ipad and have to download everything.

Get the new MacBook Air and have the extreme portability along with some serious computing power and a dedicated graphics card that plays movies beautifully. I don't like how you can't plug in peripherals to the Ipad and have to download everything.

Yeah I saw those as well recently. I will definitely keep the Air in consideration.

Thanks for the replies all.

I am on this forum with the wifey s iPhone I love it but not being able to watch movies/ clips that are not QuickTime is a pain on the ass. The new sanding tablet looks hot but I don't have any experiance withit.

All:

To those of you who have an iPad or know of someone who does, what would you say the pros/cons are? I've done a good bit of research as well as have seen and read a ton of reviews, but I would like personal, real life feedback from present iPad users.

I realize the iPad is NOT a laptop 'replacement' by any means -- I would primarily be using it around my house (hanging out on the couch or in the bedroom) for browsing the web, reading books, and maybe a movie here and there. I also do NOT plan on buying the 3G service (WiFi only) and I'm looking at the base model (16GB).

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :innocent:

For the purpose that you are planning for it, its a DEFINITE BUY. Do so without second thoughts. It's an awesome MEDIA CONSUMPTION tool.

But just before you pull the trigger, consider also the MacBook Air. Same size, literally. Just as thin, just as light. Uses flash storage too so startup is just as fast. Comes with USB, a built-in camera, etc. A full fledged notebook in the same form factor as the iPad. I use it the exact same way you want to use an iPad for, and it works great. Don't have to bother with pesky touchscreen keyboard either (which i find annoying if i'm typing anything longer than a tweet).

For the purpose that you are planning for it, its a DEFINITE BUY. Do so without second thoughts. It's an awesome MEDIA CONSUMPTION tool.

But just before you pull the trigger, consider also the MacBook Air. Same size, literally. Just as thin, just as light. Uses flash storage too so startup is just as fast. Comes with USB, a built-in camera, etc. A full fledged notebook in the same form factor as the iPad. I use it the exact same way you want to use an iPad for, and it works great. Don't have to bother with pesky touchscreen keyboard either (which i find annoying if i'm typing anything longer than a tweet).

I will definitely keep that in mind -- thanks for the suggestion.. :thumbsup:

The iPad rocks! Bought one for my wife's birthday. She is NOT a computer person by any means and she loves it! We have the WiFi version with 32GB (the Apple store ran out of the 16GB). She shops, surfs, emails, and watches shows on Netflicks in bed, on the sofa, and at the table. It has a great form factor that isn't a desktop, laptop, or iPhone - it fills a particular technical niche very nicely in our household. :)

Did the exact same thing in October for my wife and she uses it exactly the same way.......

I have a 3G iPad and love it. I travel a lot for work and I have been using my iPad and leaving my laptop at home. The only time I wish I had had my computer is when I was in Canada on business and the hotel didn't have wireless. All they had was an Ethernet cable in the room. That was a bummer because I didn't have any way to get online. That's a rare occurrence because most places have wifi nowadays.