Cabernet Sauvignon - Blended or Straight

Colt45

Had a bottle of 1997 Ferrari Carano Tresor - a California Bordeaux blend - with dinner tonight. Very enjoyable and well made.

While I've surely enjoyed pure cabernet, it came to me while drinking that I think I prefer cab blended with other grapes

over straight cab. Thinking out loud, but would be interested in any thoughts.

Had a bottle of 1997 Ferrari Carano Tresor - a California Bordeaux blend - with dinner tonight. Very enjoyable and well made.

While I've surely enjoyed pure cabernet, it came to me while drinking that I think I prefer cab blended with other grapes

over straight cab. Thinking out loud, but would be interested in any thoughts.

colt, traditionally cab was blended with the other bordeaux varieties - merlot, malbec, cab franc, petit verdot etc - for various reasons, not least because in dodgy years, as these varieties ripen at different times, one might be crap but there was the insurance of others (actually, i think that there is still more merlot planted in bordeaux than cab).

also, because the structure of cab sauv is strong front and back but dips sometimes, in the mid palate. hence, it was called the doughnut wine - hole in the middle. so othyer varieties blended in to fill the wine out and make it a little more seamless and balanced.

in australia, we did not have sufficient merlot etc planted in the early days to fill the role of blender but there was plenty of shiraz and it has worked remarkably well. merlot etc is often, though not always, used now.

in california and australia, as a gross generalisation, there is less need for other varieties to be blended into cab (perhaps the climate produces grapes that need it less) but it is still very often done as it can add extra dimensions.

in the end, i'd look at each wine individually but no doubt many great wines are the blended ones.

I much prefer my Cabernet wines blended. I think that Merlot and Cab Franc (in particular) temper some of the Cab qualities that I dislike. For a reference, one of my favorite Cab blends is Ridge Montebello. I also buy a lot of Merlot-based Bordeaux.

I like my Syrah blends.... but not with Cabernet. No offense to those liking this style .... I just find this combination too forward.

It's not that I "dislike" cab on it's own, I've just come to realize I do generally prefer it blended, and enjoy the, as Ken mentioned, added dimension it can bring.

I have enjoyed some great Cab / Shiraz - Penfolds Bin 389 is a fave, but I do also really love syrah with grenache.

colt, traditionally cab was blended with the other bordeaux varieties - merlot, malbec, cab franc, petit verdot etc - for various reasons, not least because in dodgy years, as these varieties ripen at different times, one might be crap but there was the insurance of others (actually, i think that there is still more merlot planted in bordeaux than cab).

also, because the structure of cab sauv is strong front and back but dips sometimes, in the mid palate. hence, it was called the doughnut wine - hole in the middle. so othyer varieties blended in to fill the wine out and make it a little more seamless and balanced.

in australia, we did not have sufficient merlot etc planted in the early days to fill the role of blender but there was plenty of shiraz and it has worked remarkably well. merlot etc is often, though not always, used now.

in california and australia, as a gross generalisation, there is less need for other varieties to be blended into cab (perhaps the climate produces grapes that need it less) but it is still very often done as it can add extra dimensions.

in the end, i'd look at each wine individually but no doubt many great wines are the blended ones.

KG, you are da man!

• 1 month later...

I liked Napa Cabernets, but the best ones are too expensive. The Mondavi Napa Cab in a good year (2006 or 2007) is a tasty wine. Usually my cabs are in Bordeaux blends. My favorite single grape wine is a good malbec from Argentina. Have to be picky though, as plenty of swill is produced there too.

I believe there are no generalizations here, I like good examples of both options. Trying to keep one option it would be like trying to suggest who is the best economist or doctor in the world... there is no such thing, there are several extraordinary examples of doctors and economists.

Having said that, different grape varieties have different qualities. If you want to do an extraordinary painting (with talent) you will have more chances to accomplish your paint having the complete palette of colors in your hand, than having a couple or just one.

Am I making sense or the season has me writing in cryptic parables?? :(

There are some very enjoyable Cab Sauv blends coming out of Italy as well. In particular, a Nero D'Avola/Cab Sauv blend from Montalto. It'sunder $10 a bottle as well. I'm drinking them from a 2009 vintage. These are ready to drink IMO. Though I might cellar a half dozen and see how they age.

Am I making sense or the season has me writing in cryptic parables?? :)

Yes! :lol3:

I agree it's best not to limit one's choices. One thing I like is a producer who does the best they can with a given harvest, and doesn't try to stick with a single

formula just for the sake of doing so, and at the expense of overall quality.

For instance if the Chilean cabernet is not great one year, perhaps you use a little more good malbec, or vice-versa, etc.

There are some very enjoyable Cab Sauv blends coming out of Italy as well......

There are some who consider some of Italy's cab blends (and other non traditional blends) as some of their finest and / or most important wines. I like

nero d'avola but have yet to try it blended.

On a side note, I've been on a bit of a Veneto ripasso kick as of late - Masi Campofiorin, Allegrini Palazzo del Torre, Bussola Ca del Laito.