Killer Calamari

After two Mexican fishermen were dragged from their boats and "chewed so badly that their bodies could not be identified by their own families," according to a Daily Express review of an August British TV documentary, warnings were issued along the Pacific coast about the northern migration of Humboldt squid. They grow to 8 feet long, weigh up to 100 pounds, travel up to 15 mph, have eight swim/hold tentacles -- and two "attack" tentacles that are studded with 40,000 or more razor-sharp "teeth"-like nubs that help each devour almost seven tons of fish a year. Furthermore, female Humboldts are capable of laying 30 million eggs. [Daily Express (London), 8-29-10]

post-4-1286925690.jpg

When I go long range fishing out of San Diego down off the coast of Baja, Mexico we come across these from time to time. They are spectacular, when you hook into one at night the fight is incredible but while your are fighting one, another 10 to 20 will rise up out of the depths, with their bodies flashing on and off and will attack the one on the jig hook. Then just as quickly they disappear into the dark. Very sureal.

The ocean is a freaky place indeed.

My greatest fear is being stranded in the middle of the ocean just floating in the blackness of the sea without land in sight.

It's cold, huge waves, and I am at the mercy of whatever creature lurks beneath! :rolleyes:

Giant squid, Goblin sharks, great whites and the many species yet to be discovered and Cryptozoo olagists find approximately 50 new species each year, are what freak me out.