When I've overhumidified my cigars

cigcars

:( Well, I've made the mistake again that I've done thru the years, and that is to overhumidify my smokes so they have that almost sour-minty aroma instead of lovely cedar and havana scent. In you guys' opinion, are the cigars a lost cause forever after this happens...or can they be brought back to reasonable taste and aroma again? Thanks for your help, guys :thumbsup:

What's the physical condition of the cigars? Are they bloated? Cracked? Moldy? Post some photos. I've had a few sticks take on too much moisture but I dry boxed them, rehumidified them slowly and they were saved. Not familiar with the aroma you mention.

I agree that if they are not soggy, bring them back down relatively slowly, and it shouldn't be a big deal. I look at it this way - before my cigars ever

get to me, they've probably gone through any number of climate changes and are usually none the worse for wear.

On a side note, recently I was thinking about whether it might actually be better for cigars to be subjected to variances in climate versus one which

is completely static. Not dramatic or abrupt changes, but being allowed to breathe, if you will.

***Hey, thanks, guys - thanks a lot! I'm off to take the humidifiers out of there right now. Any recommendation on how long they should be dry boxed? And no, they are not split, cracked, moldy or so on. They are still very in-tact, just not with that wonderful maple and raisins aroma permeating. Kind of like the nose biting scent of your laundry just after the spin cycle. That's about the best I can do to describe the odor of obviously over moist handmade smokes! :thumbsup:

I would monitor the humidor with my digital hygrometer watching the RH% slowly until it falls into the 65ish% range. Get some beads and they pretty well take care of the humidor on their own.

I am another that thinks your cigars will be just fine. Remember, tobacco is wet to be worked and goes through various stages of wet and dry in its life before they get to your house. Mold and mildew is the problem. No mold and mildew... don't worry about it. The only problem that I see you having is if the cigars have been saturated at a high humidity point all the way through. If that is the case you may have some waiting to bring them back to smoking condition, or should I say, optimum smoking condition.

I would not shock them but I would consider perhaps 5 RH percent less than what you normally store at for a period of time in order to leach the excess water out of them. I have cigars that I keep in the 50's and I think that they smoke better as a result. The rest is up to your tastes. The main issue is not to fret; best of luck. -Piggy

Thank you guys so much. I feel MUCH better now! And this is a learning experience for me. As the years have passed, there was either humidification levels I felt was not enough - figuring they should be springy to the touch. But now that I've gotten used to that wonderful aroma coming from my humidors with that nice touch - I will now definitely watch their becoming TOO moist. Again - Thanks! :yes::love: