FREESTYLE CIGAR REVEIW

Being new to the concept of letting cigars "rest" before smoking them, I have been pacing around the house waiting for my first shipment of CC to get over their jet lag before firing one up.

The wife and I came home for the ABC store last night with a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof Bourbon, and couldn't wait any longer to try one of my new Partagas P No 1's. These are the smokes that Lisa offered in the three and five packs form the beautiful porcelain collector jar. I opted for the three pack to be added to an order of D No4's that I had coming.

I had to wait for the temp to drop below 90f to go out on the back porch for my smoke. I lite up around 20:00 about an hour after dark. My first glass of rare breed was cut to about normal bottle strength with bottled water, and my little pyramid was brought to life with my old worn table top lighter with no effort at all.

Right away it took off burning smooth and even and produced delicious amounts of thick heavy smoke. My wife has been sniffing around my humidor for a week getting intoxicated by the rich earthy smells from the brown beauties that where resting on the top shelf, and the billowing clouds of smoke did not disappoint her at all.

I smoke CC when I am traveling abroad with the military, so my wife doesn't have the opportunity to be around while I am enjoying them, but she was instantly drawn into the smoke. She found the aroma to very enjoyable and noticable different then non CC.

I found the first third of the cigar to have a very easy draw, not loose, very well made, and a very light smoke flavor. I have read others remark that some of the Partags cigars have a sort of cigarette flavor when they are young, and I do not disagree with this interpretation. The amount of smoke was rich and delicious, but the flavor was not there.

By this point, I was not adding as much water to the bourbon as the effects of the first pour where starting to fortify my tolerance for the stuff. With less water I was able to detect a strong clove flavor form the rich caramel profile. At about this time, my cigar was starting to develop some new flavor as well.

Some where in the mix I was detecting a little American black walnut flavor, but am not sure if it was the cigar, the bourbon, or the combination of the two. Where ever the flavor was coming from, I wasn't mad at it!

Just at the beginning of the last third of the cigar, I ran into a burn issue. I think it may have been caused by my ceiling fan that was set quite high as it was still a bit warm outside. Right after I ashed, I started having difficulty keeping it going. I would draw and get a bit of cool smoke. I chugged on it a couple of times in an effort to revive the burn, but did not have much luck.

An inspection of the business end of the affair revealed a glowing cherry, but it was not having the desired effect on the sweet end. Just as I was considering putting the fire to it, she took off and started burning well again. In hind sight, I think I should have let it go out and relight instead of trying to puff past the dead spot, and prevent the small amount of tongue bite that I inflicted in my self.

With just over an inch or so left to smoke, I was drinking the Old Bird at barrel strength, and let the partagas die between puffs. All things in moderation, including moderation, but the Turkey may not have been the best choice to drink while doing my first review! Not only did the 108.2 proof impair my ability to properly gauge the cigar, but its larger then life Oak and caramel profile with a ginger bread spice background completely over powered the little flavor of this excellent constructed young cigar.

In conclusion, I would say that I was able to apply what I have learned on FOH about the importance of resting and aging CC's. Every aspect of this cigars construction was excellent, but the flavor that I have come to expect from this brand was not there...yet. I look forward to aging these sticks and trying on again in about six months... if they last that long!

Doc

P.S.

I got the series wrong on the title. it is a No. 1, not a No. 4!

post-7055-1284907499.jpg

While it almost always proves prudent to rest cigars before smoking them I could never master the will power. Unless you are talking rare or discontinued cigars... smokem' raw, you can always buy another! You just need to get a leg up here to start your own private stock and off you go.

Nice review mate. And as a pertinent side note; God bless you and your family for your service to your country. Freedom isn't free and the highest price paid is by those that serve in the military. If I could only change that risk and price to those that lead countries, I would bottle it, send it overnight to every capitol city in the world!!! Cheers mate! -Piggy

Right, it is the No. 1! I just edited my post, but can't change the title.

Thanks for the tips about building an inventory. I'm thinking about doing a review of the bourbon in the ANAS thread.

I appreciate the support!

Semper Fi,

Doc

It's the Serie P No. 1 right? I also got a 3-pack that I'm hoping to get into soon and hopefully write my first review.

I look forward to reading it soon! Enjoy!

Doc

Fine review DocG,

Never good to drink alone , Good thing you had a Wild Turkey around . :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. :lol:

The wild turkey wasn't the only thing in the straw; I had the wife with me as well. It seems she has come to use my cigar smoke like my... well, read the quote below.

I am enjoying some more (the turkey and the wife) as I reply to your post. I am smoking a Monte No 1 that I bought in Germany a year ago. Lots of leather in this one...

Doc