Greetings and Salutations

danclough

Hey everyone, I'm the FNG, Dan.

My cigar story probably unfolded like it did for a lot of other Americans. I had smoked cigars here and there and thought they were largely crappy tasting giving you that morning after ass breath, but a fun social activity. On vacation in Jamaica a couple winters ago, I dropped some coinage on 3 cubans that I chose randomly (hey, that one has a purdy label!) assuming they were just as crappy as anything else I'd ever smoked, but what the heck? A couple weeks after returning my brother, brother-in-law, and I lit them up with very low expectations, and I have to say the experience was nothing short of spiritual. We all took a couple of puffs and just sat there looking at each other in dumbfounded shock (we do this a lot). It was AMAZING. That cigar became my white whale for the better part of the next year, but I was never able to figure out what exactly we had smoked (I knew it was a Punch, but had removed the labels for fear of them being confiscated on the way back in). I've often thought about how much money I would have saved myself had I randomly picked 3 crappy Cubans instead of the ones I picked. :rolleyes:

My two-year cigar journey has brought me here...awesome site. I love the way you all have built the store and the forum.

Welcome to the forum Dan, you are very welcome.

Great introduction also. :)

So now that you enjoy a fine Cuban, what else have you tried and what kind of profile do you enjoy in a cigar?

Look forward to reading your posts and seeing you around on the forum. :peace:

Welcome to the forum Dan, you are very welcome.

Great introduction also. :P

So now that you enjoy a fine Cuban, what else have you tried and what kind of profile do you enjoy in a cigar?

Look forward to reading your posts and seeing you around on the forum. :P

I really enjoy a cigar with coffee/chocolate flavors or one that is nice and leathery. So based on the reviews I've seen, the Upmann 48 is right in my wheelhouse on the chocolatey side.

My favorites so far are Cohiba Robustos and Montecristo Sublimes 2k8, though I haven't had a lot of them. Montecristo No. 2's have also been a consistent good smoke for me. Last summer I got sampler of robustos that had I think 5 different brands in it. Unfortunately they come to me in the US sometimes with the bands removed, and I unpacked them all without thinking. I quickly realized that all the Cuban robustos are exactly the same size! I tried to separate them by color, but that wasn't an exact science. I really loved one in particular (had sort of a red wine flavor to it), but couldn't figure out which one it was for sure. The reviews I've read make think that it may have been the Partagas. I'm an idiot.

I really loved one in particular (had sort of a red wine flavor to it), but couldn't figure out which one it was for sure. The reviews I've read make think that it may have been the Partagas. I'm an idiot.

Sounds like a Partagas D4. Tinned Cherries perhaps?