Havana Trip Suggestions

I just booked a one week all-inclusive in Varadero, and I'm in the process of organizing (in conjunction with a known-around-the-web guide 'Jorge') an overnight stay in Havana. I'll be traveling with the wife and son so "cigar time" will be limited to likely a trip to a factory (Partagas from what I gather) and maybe a store.

For those who have been to Havana, or are familiar with its offerings - if you were going to Havana what would you seek out / try / buy?

Too bad you won't have much time to see the real Cuba. A taxi from Varadero to Matanzas & a ride on the old electric train to Casablanca, then ferry across the harbor to old Havana is a great experience.

If you're going to Partagas factory, go early before it gets too crowded. You'll be right by Bario Chino & the Capitolo- well worth seeing. Then to relax, have a coffee in the lobby of hotel Parque Central. They also have a small but very interesting & comfortable cigar store up the stairway.

Oh- check out John Lennon's statue too.

A trip to the San Cristobal cemetary is cool - kind of dark and morbid maybe, but the ornate nature of the place, the artistry and carvings, make it an amazing experience. Understanding the history of it makes it that much more intriguing too.

Be sure to check out Old Havana, and the restoration work that they're doing there. The architecture is a wonderment.

If you like rum, go on a rum factory tour (Fundacion Havana Club museum), not too far from the cathedral and other old city attractions.

Where are you staying in Varadero?

I just booked a one week all-inclusive in Varadero, and I'm in the process of organizing (in conjunction with a known-around-the-web guide 'Jorge') an overnight stay in Havana. I'll be traveling with the wife and son so "cigar time" will be limited to likely a trip to a factory (Partagas from what I gather) and maybe a store.

For those who have been to Havana, or are familiar with its offerings - if you were going to Havana what would you seek out / try / buy?

For one day I would simply walk...walk...and walk old Havana (Havana Vieja) and along the Malecon. I still set aside at least one day to do that every time I go.

Lunch/dinner El Templete (opposite shipping terminal at bottom of Old havana. Your guide will find it). Some of the best food in Cuba (that is a very low bar !LOL!).

Purchase? Cigars at Partagas or Rum (Santiago 11)

At night...head to the show "Tropicana" or Parisien cabaret at Hotel Nacional. Enjoy drinks on the verandas and gardens of the Nacional pre show. Perfect.

Enjoy!

Rob

Definitely go to the Partagas factory. A suggestion is to use Google maps to get a feel of where the factory is. I was in Havana in July and was surprised at the shape the city was in. Of course there is some rundown areas, but a good bit was in better shape than I expected. Take some pens and other trinkets to give away to the locals as they will be asking. I took a big hand full of pens they were gone in about 15mins. I regret not have more time there as one day was not enough. Go to the National hotel, need place over looking the bay.

Thanks for all the pointers guys ;) I made contact with the local guide and had a volley of emails exchanged to arrive at the following:

Sept 17th

1- Take www.viazul.com Bus to Havana.

2- My tour guide (if not myself) would be waiting at Viazul first stop in Old Havana to guide you to the private house booked. Check-in and leave your things.

3- You will need to go straight to the Cigar factory ASAP as being Friday they offer their last tour no later than 1.00 PM. NO tours offered on Saturdays.

4- After your cigar factory tour go for a guided walking tour of Old Havana & Centro. This tour will be at your own pace (re: I understand what is having your boy around). We shall cover a lot more than what you ambition to enjoy, no worries.

5- Enjoy the late afternoon OYO.

6- I would make arrangements for a vintage car to pick you up to take you to dinner with a short ride around sunset along the Malecon.

7- I would make a reservation at one of the best private restaurants (re: paladares) in Havana. As per your kid I would suggest “La Fontana”

8- I could arrange for a taxi ride back home after you finish your dinner. Your call

Sept 18th:

1- Start from a guided vehicle tour of rest of Havana which would take you to the sites you have mentioned below (not reachable walking) like Coppelia, Revolution Square, etc.

2- Rest of the time OYO. (on your own)

3- I could arrange for a taxi to pick you up at your house to take you to Viazul Station.

-------

We're very excited to be staying at a casa and having a fair amount of "on your own" time to just chill out and have drinks and meet locals.

How are single cigars priced at Partagas - ie. is there a premium? though i read somewhere that they the same price as if buying box?

Two things that are a must at night is the canonazo at 9pm and the 90 foot Jesus. The fort El Morro shoots off canons with all the traditional spanish uniformed soldiers at 9pm every night. You can stand as close to them as you want and take pics. The fort overlooks the city and the port entrance to Havana. There is a museum there as well. Then taxi to the 90 foot Jesus which is just further up and has an even greater view of the city at night. There are kiosks in both places for drinks and light food. Certainly a great place to enjoy a cigar. John

Two things that are a must at night is the canonazo at 9pm and the 90 foot Jesus. The fort El Morro shoots off canons with all the traditional spanish uniformed soldiers at 9pm every night. You can stand as close to them as you want and take pics. The fort overlooks the city and the port entrance to Havana. There is a museum there as well. Then taxi to the 90 foot Jesus which is just further up and has an even greater view of the city at night. There are kiosks in both places for drinks and light food. Certainly a great place to enjoy a cigar. John

Great suggestion John.

I am ware of the fact you have a youngster with you or I would have suggest El Gato Tuerto for some fantastic music (12-4am ) just down from the Nacional. If you do go, ask for Elvis. See how my watch is going. get a drink on me :lol:

Be sure to check out Old Havana, and the restoration work that they're doing there. The architecture is a wonderment.

Where are you staying in Varadero?

We'll definitely wander Old Havana, as we did last year when I was in Cuba to photograph a wedding.

We're staying at the Blau in Varadero. Have you been? Last year we stayed at IBV.

Awesome suggestion, John. I've seen pictures of this, and have heard great things about it, but I've just never had the chance to stay there to see it myself - my wife always wanted to do something conflicting.

We'll definitely wander Old Havana, as we did last year when I was in Cuba to photograph a wedding.

We're staying at the Blau in Varadero. Have you been? Last year we stayed at IBV.

No, I haven't been to the Blau. Been to the Palma Real and then the Cuatro Palmas - looking at staying at the Iberostar Tainos maybe for this November's trip.

And, I don't know about the Tropicana. Me and my wife, and others that I've talked to, we've seemed to find it very passe and outdated - yes, it's a tradicion, and whatnot, but it just seems very kitsch and almost uncomfortable (hard for me to describe). But, the show at the Nacional is apparently very cool - I've heard that you either like one or the other better. So, when my wife and I go back this November with friends, that's the one we're going to check out.

And I must make a mental note for El Morro - don't want to miss that this year!

We did see the Tropicana show last year when we did the resort-organized overnight trip to Havana. We enjoyed the show (I enjoyed the drinks more) but wouldn't repeat. Definitely going to aim to check out Johns suggestions - sounds fantastic...thanks so much!

I have heard several times that even at Partagas Factory store, buying singles can be taking the chance of getting fakes.

That's possible, not sure about that, but you could buy fresh custom rolled cigars from La China and be pretty sure to get the real thing! :rolleyes:

Yeah, at the Partagas factory, as well as at La Corona I've found too, things get super crazy. You never know when there's potentially some sleight-of-hand going on maybe, with a clerk maybe trying to make a few extra bucks (yes, we all wish they were 100% upstanding, but it can and does happen).

If you're going to buy some singles to sample, then I recommend the LCDH stores actually, not the factory stores. Especially not when things are super busy.

At the factory stores, I only buy sealed 3-packs of tubos (a 3 pack is better to try than singles anyways, IMO), or full and sealed boxes. Not individual stuff.

Either the LCDH at the Melia Cohiba, or the LCDH in Varadero are best. I usually get all my stuff from LCDH Varadero - less muss and fuss.

I would agree with the above,the best cigars I had from Cuba were from LCDH,usually from the Hotel Sevilla.Which is worth checking out in itself,it's next to the ballet school.It's the hotel where graham Greene wrote Our man in Havanna

If anyone wants to sell you a cigar,it's a fake!

The musee de beaux art has great examples of Cuban art.

Most of all check out the Cuban sunset!

Sounds like a great trip you have planned! I, personally would have recommended your entire stay in the Havana/Pinar region. I am not a fan of Varadero. IMO, the resorts and beaches are average for the Caribbean. I have used Jorge as a guide in Havana and him and his staff are top notch. You will not be disappointed with his service. Have fun!

I like hitting up LCDH in the Partagas and LCDH Quinta Ave. where Carlos Robaina is the manager. To eat I recommend La palenque, they have excellent roasted pork mmm. Another great spot is El Ajibe and Los nardos which is in front of the capitolio. A must do is a two day trip to Pinar del Rio to see the tobacco growing process. In La Habana Vieja check out Plaza Vieja, they have great food, brewery, and excellent coffee shop. Shopping hit the Feria for art and Cuban souvenirs. Party at Macumba, La Casa de Musica, Habana Cafe....

Yeah, at the Partagas factory, as well as at La Corona I've found too, things get super crazy. You never know when there's potentially some sleight-of-hand going on maybe, with a clerk maybe trying to make a few extra bucks (yes, we all wish they were 100% upstanding, but it can and does happen).

If you're going to buy some singles to sample, then I recommend the LCDH stores actually, not the factory stores. Especially not when things are super busy.

At the factory stores, I only buy sealed 3-packs of tubos (a 3 pack is better to try than singles anyways, IMO), or full and sealed boxes. Not individual stuff.

Either the LCDH at the Melia Cohiba, or the LCDH in Varadero are best. I usually get all my stuff from LCDH Varadero - less muss and fuss.

when buying from the LCDH stores, are the prices the same as the partagas factory?

i'm heading to varadero as well but not sure if i'm heading into the city or anything.. staying at the iberostar laguna azul....

if anyone has gone there and know about the cigar shop there let me know... thanks!

Sounds like a great trip you have planned! I, personally would have recommended your entire stay in the Havana/Pinar region. I am not a fan of Varadero. IMO, the resorts and beaches are average for the Caribbean. I have used Jorge as a guide in Havana and him and his staff are top notch. You will not be disappointed with his service. Have fun!

agree 100% re whole trip in havana & pinar BUT this is a family trip with a 5 yr old and wife who like the beach and just want some down time from my normally chaotic schedule. i'm not a fan of resorts period, to be honest.

great to hear another confirmation about Jorge. thanks!

I like hitting up LCDH in the Partagas and LCDH Quinta Ave. where Carlos Robaina is the manager. To eat I recommend La palenque, they have excellent roasted pork mmm. Another great spot is El Ajibe and Los nardos which is in front of the capitolio. A must do is a two day trip to Pinar del Rio to see the tobacco growing process. In La Habana Vieja check out Plaza Vieja, they have great food, brewery, and excellent coffee shop. Shopping hit the Feria for art and Cuban souvenirs. Party at Macumba, La Casa de Musica, Habana Cafe....

i did make it out to Pinar del Rio when I was in Cuba last year and it was fantastic to visit a farm and have a tour with the owner and learn about his processing. The tour was only a day long though so I'm hoping to get back there and Havana with a friend for 5 or 6 days next summer and just absorb those places.

when buying from the LCDH stores, are the prices the same as the partagas factory?

i'm heading to varadero as well but not sure if i'm heading into the city or anything.. staying at the iberostar laguna azul....

if anyone has gone there and know about the cigar shop there let me know... thanks!

Yeah, the prices are/should generally be the same. The factory stores are not like we think of in the developed world when we think "factory stores", ie - "outlet stores". There's not really a price difference - they're set by the State, and its all supposed to be the same within the LCDH's, whether at the factory or in Varadero. That said, there could be a variance of a CUC (peso) or two, especially once you start looking at singles and 3-/5-packs, depending on the clerks.

If you're not planning on going into Havana, just go into the Varadero "downtown" and go to the LCDH store there, right across the street from the Cuatro Palmas resort. If you're at the Laguna, take the all-day-pay double-decker tour bus; cheaper than taking a coco taxi back and forth to just do the bus.

Be sure to go right next door to the LCDH in Varadero for the La Casa Del Ron, the rum shop. They do lots of tasty samples, and help you pick out the good stuff. It's also fun to ride the rolling ladder! :D

agree 100% re whole trip in havana & pinar BUT this is a family trip with a 5 yr old and wife who like the beach and just want some down time from my normally chaotic schedule. i'm not a fan of resorts period, to be honest.

great to hear another confirmation about Jorge. thanks!

i did make it out to Pinar del Rio when I was in Cuba last year and it was fantastic to visit a farm and have a tour with the owner and learn about his processing. The tour was only a day long though so I'm hoping to get back there and Havana with a friend for 5 or 6 days next summer and just absorb those places.

Agree with all these statements.

I too, when we go, it's more to make sure the wife is happy. Just me going to Cuba, and the opportunity to have an hour to myself going into the LCDH and stocking up, is worth the whole week. That's all I really need and want - anything else is bonus time. I've had the chance to do some serious cigar touring (factories, farms, etc.), for a little bit here and there on the different trips. But, I know that if I focused too heavily on cigar stuff for me, it would get annoying/boring to my wife, and I don't want that - I want her to be EXTREMELY happy and enjoyable with the time we spend there, that way, it's easier for me to talk her into a trip back again next time we're thinking vacation.

I'll wait for a FOH trip to focus all my time over multiple days on stuff in Pinar, factories, blending, etc., etc.