Silica Gel pack

blasio17

I don't really see why you couldn't use them, and you shouldn't need to open the pack unless you intend to add water to them directly.

You might want to double check to see if they are of food grade. To stay on the cheap, I'd probably go with crystal cat litter.

That guy on eBay is overlooking a very important Key Market, by not displaying Cigar Humidity, in his item description. His loss.

These are on the expensive side. You can buy close to 5LB of Silica Odorless Kitty Litter for $10. Package it your self in a dust proof envelopes or containers and save yourself the equivalent of $140.

Problem with both kitty litter and silica gel is the one way direction in which they control moisture. They suck it up. They do not regulate to a given humidity point, giving and taking as needed. While in some places the natural world humidity is too high and as such an issue, where I live in the southwest we need to regulate humidity meaning we need to add adequate humidity with safeguards against too much. That is where the Rh beads are so effective. Just my 2 cents.

They do not regulate to a given humidity point, giving and taking as needed.

I agree.......... and disagree :clap:

I agree that RH beads are already conditioned to maintain a certain level of humidity. But the silica kitty litter can also be conditioned. I use the litter in a cooler.

To condition, I put some distilled water in a container along with a container of litter. When the humidity reached the level I was looking for, I removed the water.

I may have done this a couple of times, especially after adding boxes of cigars. Granted, an insulated beverage cooler kept in a basement probably helps quite

a bit, but the only time I have any "problems" is in the driest times in winter where I may have to add a small container of water (I don't wet the litter directly)

for a day or so.

I do also use beads in other humidors.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

RH beads seem fairly expensive in AU $125 for 16 ounces. so if this option works for $18 it gets two thumbs up from me. I have heard people say they are using the kitty litter, so will make a trip to pet store and see how prices compare.

Whats the difference between adding water to them directly and just putting in an extra tray of water?

Whats the difference between adding water to them directly and just putting in an extra tray of water?

I do it this way simply so as not to over saturate the media. It's really just a personal preference, and I do it with both beads and litter.

If you try litter, just make sure you get the crystal kind, and not the sand / clay type.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

RH beads seem fairly expensive in AU $125 for 16 ounces. so if this option works for $18 it gets two thumbs up from me. I have heard people say they are using the kitty litter, so will make a trip to pet store and see how prices compare.

Check out Mark's website, http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx for the RH beads.

Over here, there's a certain pirate who just keeps overcharging people... :lookaround:

Kitty litter sells for about $15-$30 in pet stores for about 15L.

Check out Mark's website, http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx for the RH beads.

Over here, there's a certain pirate who just keeps overcharging people... :lookaround:

Kitty litter sells for about $15-$30 in pet stores for about 15L.

Thanks Chris.

Seems like I have a few options. Think i will give the kitty litter a try first off.

Still need to get the wine fridge......

well I am using cat litter now, I got a small glass jar which was used as a hand cream jar and drilled some holes in the lid; then packed some kitti litter in it with some distiled water. It is keeping mine ata sharp 70% till now :D

Update:

I got a new digital hygrometer/thermometer and the kitti litter still holds at 70-71% on both the digital and analog gauge.

So I think it is really agood choice and it doesn't explode it just fizzes the first time you use it ;)

I always use beads, from what I've seen they work the best.

If that stuff is anything like the silica bags they but with electronics, stay far far far away from that ****! I tried to use some and the slightest little spray of water sent them exploding from the tray I put them in!!!! Poor choice on my part, lol, but I use kitty litter, and it works wonders.