And what about a bogey Brand

Dicko brought up a good point about a certian vitola that everyone raves about and you kind of feel out of touch with everyone. What about a brand? for me one of the best things about Habanos is that in one marque you have many different flavour profiles. In the NC you have a hundred different lables for one brand with a wide spectrum of flavour profiles but you can never find one that you truly enjoy. They aren't bad cigars but you don't get the hype behind the brand and if you say something that you don't like it someone is almost ready to castrate you to defend the company. Is there anyone else who just doesn't get it?

........ An anecdote..... Not to long ago while passing through Miami I stop into a little shop. One of the clerks was asking me what I like to smoke. I told him I smoke about every profile as long as it has a lot of flavour and not insipid. (Yes i know that flavour is very subjective to everyone) He sugested a very well known brand, one of these that has hundreds of different kinds and profiles but all under the same brand name. He suggested to try one that I had smoked in the past (one of there most famous lines that has a brazilian wrapper) I told him that I don't enjoy that cigar and have never had luck with the brand. Another gentelman was standing along side of us and he hated me from that moment. He began to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about (in a tactful way) and it was the best cigar on the market, he was even wearing a tee-shirt with the company logo.

I know we all have our own tastes but does anyone agree with an over-hype company will have fanatics who are ready to fight to the death over someone not on the same page about said company?

Just something that kinda gets to me sometimes.

Cheers

I know we all have our own tastes but does anyone agree with an over-hype company will have fanatics who are ready to fight to the death over someone not on the same page about said company?

Just something that kinda gets to me sometimes.

Cheers

Hi martindelmundo,

Yes, of course I don't advocate such fanatism but I can more or less understand .

Then it's all a question of how much are you willing to tolerate from people who don't

know how to share different Ideas :D

One day I received a call from someone who had heard about our cigar club and wanted some info.

I started to inform him on how we were all passionate about cigars and all ,when He stops me and

starts telling me that he has 3,000 bottles of wine in his cellar and about as many cigars in his walk in

humidor. I told him that I was quite impressed to see how passionate he was for wines and cigars and

that's when the axe fell on my head. :lol:

He told me that there was, however, one thing that bothered him about our club and that was the fact that

we were too much concentrated on Habanos and that they were not at all what they were cut out to be.

Instead, he said that we should be more interested in cigars from the DR. which for him , were the best

in the world. For him, the best of the best were Henry Clay , DR. . Anyone who didn't realize that, was not

a REAL cigar smoker. :P

Well from there you can imagine the rest, I told him that our club 's name was "L'Aficion du Havane" and that

Havane, was not there just to look pretty and that we as a club did not share in his enthusiasm over cigars from

the DR. but that we do, at times, smoke other cigars from other countries. WELL, I must have said something

wrong because right after that , he said, " That's really too bad for you because I shall not become a member

of a club that doesn't know a good cigar from bad ones, good night sir, ".

Gee, I hope he survived the shock :D

Instead, he said that we should be more interested in cigars from the DR. which for him , were the best

in the world. For him, the best of the best were Henry Clay , DR. . Anyone who didn't realize that, was not

a REAL cigar smoker.

Guy, I know people who think that the best cigars in the world nowadays come from Costa Rica. Others say, no, Nicaragua. Even Honduran tobacco has its ardent enthusiasts. Still others who like DR cigars would opine that anyone who rated Henry Clay as the best of the best from that country would need to have his head examined. They would probably believe that your contact wasn't a REAL cigar smoker. Let the adherents of non-Cubans squabble among themselves: WE know that Havanas are tops!! :D

For me Drew Estates Acid and other flavored messes. BLEECH! :lol::cigar:

For me Drew Estates Acid and other flavored messes. BLEECH! :no:;)

A true cigar, like the Havana, doesn't need added flavouring. If some NCs are subjected to it, what does that tell the world about them? Obviously, that they don't possess desirable taste to begin with...but tarting them up to boost a lacking flavour profile makes them even worse. :);):hole:

I prefer Cuban cigars but will smoke a NC as the mood hits.

My marca of dissapointment in Punch. Only the SS#2 has anything for me and they canned it.

I am rather eclectic in my tastes, and other than the Guantamamierdas,

every marca has its good side for me.

Depending on time of day, season, place, mood, etc.,

I might get a craving for the delicacy and finesse of an aged Fonseca or Flor de Cano,

a slap in the mouth from a R&J Cazadore or a SDC #3, or the simple pleasures of a JLP.

My collection is quite varied, and when I am disappointed with a cigar it is usually due to poor construction, over humidification, a bad period when many cigars are below standard, like '99-'01,

or simply because the cigar is passing through a sick or dumb phase.

It happens very often that the first few smokes from a box are a letdown,

while the last few, years later, are amazing.

I really appreciate the diversity of Habanos.

My motto : "One wife, many wines, many cigars!"

I am rather eclectic in my tastes, and other than the Guantamamierdas,

every marca has its good side for me.

Depending on time of day, season, place, mood, etc.,

I might get a craving for the delicacy and finesse of an aged Fonseca or Flor de Cano,

a slap in the mouth from a R&J Cazadore or a SDC #3, or the simple pleasures of a JLP.

My collection is quite varied, and when I am disappointed with a cigar it is usually due to poor construction, over humidification, a bad period when many cigars are below standard, like '99-'01,

or simply because the cigar is passing through a sick or dumb phase.

It happens very often that the first few smokes from a box are a letdown,

while the last few, years later, are amazing.

I really appreciate the diversity of Habanos.

My motto : "One wife, many wines, many cigars!"

I'm with you Ron. aside from the obvious dogs that I have no interest in trying, I have never met a Marca I didn't like.