Greetings and Good Will from Texas

Scardinoz

Apparently, in the process for Papa Sarto's canonisation, the "Devil's Advocate" raised the objection that he had been a cigar smoker. That was overruled. Another hurdle placed by the DA: when visiting a parishioner on a Friday, the future Pope caught him frying sausages. He knocked him out! Anyhow, I don't think that the Holy Father smoked Cubans, but those Tuscan things. An anecdote relating to his Pontificate: a bishop, on his ad limina visit to Rome, when received by the Pope, was proffered a cigar. The prelate declined, saying, "I don't have that particular vice, Your Holiness". St. Pius promptly responded, "If it were a vice, I wouldn't have offered you one. In any case, you have far worse vices!" I wonder what those vices were?

A predecessor, Pope Pius IX, though not a smoker, received excellent quality Havanas as gifts. He distributed them among the Papal zouaves.

By the way, is Saint Pius X a patron of yours?

The prelate declined, saying, "I don't have that particular vice, Your Holiness". St. Pius promptly responded, "If it were a vice, I wouldn't have offered you one. In any case, you have far worse vices!" I wonder what those vices were?

Excessive drinking, raucous partying, and cavorting about with unscrupulous women.

By the way, is Saint Pius X a patron of yours?

I consider him to be a patron of anyone who considers that the truth is not relative, myself included.

I appreciate the warm welcome shown by all.

Excessive drinking, raucous partying, and cavorting about with unscrupulous women.

I consider him to be a patron of anyone who considers that the truth is not relative, myself included.

I appreciate the warm welcome shown by all.

First of all....Welcome!

Secondly.... Quite the opening salvo! Which 'truth' are you referring to? Can you elaborate on your epistemological commitments?