Embargo Ends

Embargo Ends will you better off or not ?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here in Canada, we have no embargo, but tobacco taxes are extremely high.

Our customs and border service people are intercepting most packages.

A box that cost me $100 arrived last week, with an assessment of $440 in charges!

I could challenge the amount, and after a whole bureaucratic process,

perhaps get it reduced to around $250.

Of course, I'd have to pay the $440 first, then hope for mercy.

Needless to say, the package will be returned to sender.

It is so ironic that our US brothers, in spite of the embargo,

can order and receive international packages with impunity -

at least for now.

It is highly probable, however, that if Cuban cigars ever become legal in the US,

and as tobacco taxes continue to increase,

US Customs may begin to follow the Canadian example,

and become more involved with tax collection,

becoming much more effective than they ever were with interdiction.

If that comes to pass brothers, these last few years will seem like a lost Golden Age.

On the other hand, the freedom to travel to Cuba will make up for much of the loss.

Even if you have the same restrictions as we do -

50 cigars per person per visit, duty free -

there is nothing like the pleasure of shopping for, and choosing your cigars,

in Cuba, at Cuban prices; not to mention to see for yourself

both the good and the bad aspects of life in Cuba.

In spite of all the nastiness between governments,

the Cuban people harbor no resentment against the American people,

and you will be warmly received.

May it happen soon!

OZ

Very eloquently put 'MontrealRon :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since so many issues have been discussed, we seem to be having several polls at once:

1. WILL the embargo be lifted? I doubt it, at least not under the current administration. Here's my reasoning. Obama is purely political, motivated by what gets the most votes and the best chance of him being reelected. Opening trade with Cuba guarantees he won't get Florida's electoral votes. He can't afford the risk of losing those votes, so no way he'll lift the embargo.

2. SHOULD the embargo be lifted? Of course. It's silly to believe after 50 years that the embargo has weakened Cuba's communist government. More to the point, it's rank hypocrisy to embargo Cuba and at the same time do everything we can to increase trade with China. Go figure.

3. If the embargo is lifted, will it help the Cuban people? Not a chance. Does anyone seriously think higher cigar revenues would go into the pockets of the common people? Visit China some time and ask their laborers if trade with the US has made them any money. I have. It hasn't.

4. What effect would it have on us FOH? I think it would be a bad thing. Sure, it would be easier to buy a CC to smoke after lunch, but the question is would that cigar be any good. At least in the short term, demand would skyrocket. History proves that CC quality goes down when production goes way up. IMHO, that would happen again. For the first few years at least, production would go way up and quality would go way down. Good quality Cuban cigars would be very hard to find. The silver lining in that cloud would be that those of us who can't stop hoarding good cigars would be golden. We'd already have a good stock of pre-embargo-lifted cigars.

Which gets me to my conclusion: Buy all the good quality great smoking Cuban cigars you can, as fast as you can.

Works for me!!

At least that's what I tell my wife.

Oh how I look forward to this day!

We will still pull the best stock available and with no qualms in shipping! Given we supply a majority of stock to Oz, France, Germany, China, Japan, Eastern Europe.....there is a tremendous upside!

Quality Habanos stock will always be sought after. Let the Embargo end now!

Here Here!!

Personally I don't want to see c- cigars on the U.S. market. B):lol:

I like thrills, especially when I still wait more than 21 days for delivery.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

The embargo is stupid, anachronistic XXI century,

showing the weakness and immaturity of the US American government.

EMBARGO OFF, NOW!!!

FREEDOM for

CUBAN CIGARS Around The WORLD

*YAY! YAY!!! YAY!!! :clap::party::clap: YES!!!!! I SECOND, THIRD, 15TH THAT MOTION!!!

Since so many issues have been discussed, we seem to be having several polls at once:

1. WILL the embargo be lifted? I doubt it, at least not under the current administration. Here's my reasoning. Obama is purely political, motivated by what gets the most votes and the best chance of him being reelected. Opening trade with Cuba guarantees he won't get Florida's electoral votes. He can't afford the risk of losing those votes, so no way he'll lift the embargo.

2. SHOULD the embargo be lifted? Of course. It's silly to believe after 50 years that the embargo has weakened Cuba's communist government. More to the point, it's rank hypocrisy to embargo Cuba and at the same time do everything we can to increase trade with China. Go figure.

3. If the embargo is lifted, will it help the Cuban people? Not a chance. Does anyone seriously think higher cigar revenues would go into the pockets of the common people? Visit China some time and ask their laborers if trade with the US has made them any money. I have. It hasn't.

4. What effect would it have on us FOH? I think it would be a bad thing. Sure, it would be easier to buy a CC to smoke after lunch, but the question is would that cigar be any good. At least in the short term, demand would skyrocket. History proves that CC quality goes down when production goes way up. IMHO, that would happen again. For the first few years at least, production would go way up and quality would go way down. Good quality Cuban cigars would be very hard to find. The silver lining in that cloud would be that those of us who can't stop hoarding good cigars would be golden. We'd already have a good stock of pre-embargo-lifted cigars.

Which gets me to my conclusion: Buy all the good quality great smoking Cuban cigars you can, as fast as you can.

Works for me!!

At least that's what I tell my wife.

:clap: Hey, you've got a truly great point - there MAY be a sudden valued rep in owning "Post-Embargo cigars" just as there is great popularity with the prospect of having "Pre-Embargo"cigars! :party:

- higher prices for cigars

- lower quality (remember cigar boom ten years ago)

- more annoying people in the bars (not only during weekends)

… and a lot of happier Cubans!!!

When it’s happen I will probably stop my regular visits to the Island for a while and stock some good products for next 3 years. But I will be extremely happy because of the future of this wonderful people.

The other question is – what will happen with Dominican and Nicaraguan cigar producers?

*I look forward to these other country cigar producers to be able to use sizable portions of Cuban tobacco in their products. I bet the results would be astounding. I'd really like to try a Jamaican & Cuban tobaccoed cigar. :party::clap:

• 1 month later...