Sublime extra? Or fake?

ajgagnon

Hi all,

On a trip to Cuba last fall, I bought a few cigars at a government shop in Pinar Del Rio that I had never seen before. They were selling all kinds of Cohibas and a few others at a place that also sold rum... I think it was associated with a rum factory. Anyway, under the glass countertop, I saw the most massive Cohiba cigars with Maduro 5 bands on them. They don't strike me as maduro in colour, but the construction looks amazing; they're firm all the way to the foot and the wrapper is impeccable. I have since looked for any reference to such a cigar, and the only one was a website that referenced the Sublimes Extras... any ideas about these? I think they were selling off some experimental cigars or the 2nds from diplomatic gifts or something.

I bought two of these massive cigars and a lancero for $40 CUC if I recall correctly.

I'll post some pictures of one of them alongside a Cohiba Robusto and a HDM Double Corona for comparison.

post-6690-1277645799.jpg

post-6690-1277645816.jpg

post-6690-1277645830.jpg

post-6690-1277645849.jpg

Everyone's an expert...

I agree they're not what they appear to be. From the quality though, I think they took the bands off something and stuck on a decoy Maduro 5 band... you're right, this cigar doesn't exist!

Everyone's an expert...

I agree they're not what they appear to be. From the quality though, I think they took the bands off something and stuck on a decoy Maduro 5 band... you're right, this cigar doesn't exist!

Don't have to be an expert....and I never spend a second thinking about the authenticity of my smokes that I purchase. Buy from a trusted and reliable vendor "The Czar's" and you will never have to post these topics. Quite entertaining and educational though. ;)

As a total aside from the point of this thread -

But just for reference fellas - dont make the mistake of assuming that every Cohiba that has a band with 2 rows of dots (instead of 3) is a fake. I have personally purchased (and still own) Cohibas of impeccable provenance that have bands with this error

Misprints happen.

What a bummer, sorry to hear!

• 6 months later...

Great story -With some really nice souvenirs,

It would be great if Castro himself said something like I had these made for some special friends,

It would not surprise how many people would look him in the face and tell him there fakes.

so easy to spill those beans, anyway I bet they were good when green, but now you must what awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

When the weather breaks and I get a full afternoon to kill, I'm going to smoke these and post the notes (or a vid clip). I suspect one of three outcomes: dog ****; rustic cuban cigar taste with uncharacteristically good looks; or something absolutely sublime that none of you will ever get to smoke! :2thumbs:

With wrapper that looks that good, it's probably a "genuine" fake. Perhaps, a couple of Partagas Lusitanias that were stolen from the factory floor (unbanded), then they slapped on the Cohiba bands on them just to give them some "fake" provenance.

End of the day, you'll still be smoking a couple of Lusis, which might turn out to be great smokes after all. Just not "Cohiba". The uninitiated palate won't be able to tell a difference anyways.

Fakes are not necessarily bad cigars, at at $40 for 2 biggies plus a Lancero... not really that expensive either.

I don't know of any Lusi that's got that kind of girth to it, but it could just be me. :rolleyes: Looks to be way bigger in diameter than the robusto - robustos are 50 ring gauge, and Lusi's are 49 or so aren't they? By those pictures, if the robusto is accurate in sizing, the big cigar looks to be about a 52 or 54 ring gauge, bigger than the robustos.