Massachusetts

When traveling I like to check out the local dining and cigar lounges. So far Colorado gets the award for friendliest people and best smoke shops. If anyone’s heading to my home state this summer for a Boston tour or a Cape Cod beach getaway, here’s my 2cents.

LJ Peretti - 2 Park Square. Boston, MA

A couple blocks from the Common, one of the oldest tobacconists in the nation. Always has all the rarities, Opus x in many sizes when nobody else has them, limited edition Tatuaje’s, Padrons, etc. Old world Boston feel. When in Boston, DO take a detour through Beacon Hill’s cobblestoned gas lit streets for lunch, walk through the Common and stop in

Courthouse Cigar – 366 Washington St. Dedham, MA

Small but great shop with a table but by no means a lounge. The only place I go in the Rt. 1 area.

Old Firehouse Smoke Shop – 116 Rock St. Fall River, MA

HUGE walk in humidor, stocked floor to ceiling with all the Padron family reserves, 26’s, 64’s, Opus’, and limited Tatuajes you could want. Large pipe and tobacco selection. Small seating area with a flat screen.

Brennan’s Smoke Shop

In Plymouth, Raynham, Wareham, Brockton and Pembroke. Friendly staff and convenient locations, some of them have small seating areas.

Watch City Cigar – 497 Worcester Rd. Framingham, MA

On Rt. 9, a mother of a shop. I always stop in around Christmas time for a few Anejo #77’s.

Julio’s Liquors – 140 Turnpike Rd. Westborough, MA

Rare and fine wines as far as the eye can see. A small walk in humi in the store but the manager makes the most of it. No junk in here. The only place I’ve ever seen a 22ct charity box of Opus X. Not that I’m a big Opus fan but I have a scorpio and a perfexion x from the box that look like a million$ in their coffins.

Tinder Box – 11 Market St. Mashpee, MA

A franchise I know. But they win the award for the best lounge and hot spot location. Leather couches and a flat screen, and a Starbucks next door!. My drink of choice with a good smoke. Good dining within walking distance.

Puff the Magic – 649 Main St. Hyannis, MA

Walk in humi has been a bit Rocky Patel heavy in the past, but I guess that’s what people like. Poor bastards. What makes this place unique is the massive two section lounge, leather seating, wood paneled walls, two big TV’s. What you think of when you imagine a cigar lounge. They have a wet bar. I’m not a big drinker anymore but enjoying a drink and a cigar indoors in this neck of the woods…I almost feel like I’m breaking the law. Good spot to duck into if you tire of the downtown Hyannis nightlife in the summer.

I don’t buy many NC’s anymore, but these are just a few I thought worth a mention when you feel the urge to walk into a local B & M.

I've popped into Watch City a couple of times on my way to Marlboro where my company is based. Nice humi and funky little lounge in the back.

I also like Victory Cigar in Sudbury. Cigar shop and lounge all in one. There's another Victory in Woostah, more a bar than a lounge though.

I'll be checking out a couple of your reccomendations soon since I'll be in Boston a couple of times this month.

I used to work in Marlboro, as many times as I've been in Watch City I didn't even notice the lounge in the back. Heard Victory is nice but they're a tad far from me. Enjoy Boston.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for this post, I go to MA every couple of years or so for family visits. Next time I go will be my first visit as a cigar lover and I can't wait to visit some shops!

• 4 months later...

I'm going to be on the cape over Christmas time and finding out about the tinderbox in mashpee was great. I was hoping to share a cuban with my cousin who's getting back from Afghanistan next week.

Do you happen to know if the owner of the Tinderbox frowns on people bringing in their own cigars to smoke? I would bring one in for him as a thank you.

• 4 months later...
I also enjoy going to Gloucester Street Cigar and Churchill's Lounge in Boston. At Churchill's you can bring your own cigar and there is no cutting fee.

Good recommendations. Gloucester Street has a good selection of cigars, including some harder to find Tatuajes, Illusiones, EP Carrillos. It's got a small seating area.

Churchill's doesn't have a very good selection, but it's got a huge seating area, friendly staff and, as noted, no cutting fee and a very welcoming attitude towards those who bring their own. I go there quite often.

When traveling I like to check out the local dining and cigar lounges. So far Colorado gets the award for friendliest people and best smoke shops. If anyone’s heading to my home state this summer for a Boston tour or a Cape Cod beach getaway, here’s my 2cents.

LJ Peretti - 2 Park Square. Boston, MA

A couple blocks from the Common, one of the oldest tobacconists in the nation. Always has all the rarities, Opus x in many sizes when nobody else has them, limited edition Tatuaje’s, Padrons, etc. Old world Boston feel. When in Boston, DO take a detour through Beacon Hill’s cobblestoned gas lit streets for lunch, walk through the Common and stop in

Courthouse Cigar – 366 Washington St. Dedham, MA

Small but great shop with a table but by no means a lounge. The only place I go in the Rt. 1 area.

Old Firehouse Smoke Shop – 116 Rock St. Fall River, MA

HUGE walk in humidor, stocked floor to ceiling with all the Padron family reserves, 26’s, 64’s, Opus’, and limited Tatuajes you could want. Large pipe and tobacco selection. Small seating area with a flat screen.

Brennan’s Smoke Shop

In Plymouth, Raynham, Wareham, Brockton and Pembroke. Friendly staff and convenient locations, some of them have small seating areas.

Watch City Cigar – 497 Worcester Rd. Framingham, MA

On Rt. 9, a mother of a shop. I always stop in around Christmas time for a few Anejo #77’s.

Julio’s Liquors – 140 Turnpike Rd. Westborough, MA

Rare and fine wines as far as the eye can see. A small walk in humi in the store but the manager makes the most of it. No junk in here. The only place I’ve ever seen a 22ct charity box of Opus X. Not that I’m a big Opus fan but I have a scorpio and a perfexion x from the box that look like a million$ in their coffins.

Tinder Box – 11 Market St. Mashpee, MA

A franchise I know. But they win the award for the best lounge and hot spot location. Leather couches and a flat screen, and a Starbucks next door!. My drink of choice with a good smoke. Good dining within walking distance.

Walk in humi has been a bit Rocky Patel heavy in the past, but I guess that’s what people like. Poor bastards. What makes this place unique is the massive two section lounge, leather seating, wood paneled walls, two big TV’s. What you think of when you imagine a cigar lounge. They have a wet bar. I’m not a big drinker anymore but enjoying a drink and a cigar indoors in this neck of the woods…I almost feel like I’m breaking the law. Good spot to duck into if you tire of the downtown Hyannis nightlife in the summer.

I don’t buy many NC’s anymore, but these are just a few I thought worth a mention when you feel the urge to walk into a local B & M.

There are a couple of other places to know about. CigarMasters in Boston (on Boylston St, across from the Pru) has a very nice selection, although the prices are high and there's a $10 cutting fee if you bring your own. Beer and wine are available. There's also a CigarMasters in Worcester that's bigger and better.

Stanza dei Sigari is in the North End, http://stanzadeisigari.com/. It's small and not cheap, but has the advantage of being the only cigar lounge in Boston to serve liquor. And the staff includes some nice eye candy

• 1 month later...

Seems like Gloucester Street Cigar is closed, at least temporarily. I've heard rumors that it was due to tax issues. They've filed for bankruptcy before and survived, so hopefully they'll be able to reopen at some point.

• 7 months later...

A friend of mine and I stopped into Puff the wednesday evening after Christmas to check this place out. We enjoyed a nice cigar and had a few beers. It was a quiet evening and the bartender/manager made us feel welcome. I left him a Mag 46 as a thank you and he said come back more often.

I have to agree - there's nothing like smoking a nice cigar inside an establishment made for this enjoyment.