Newbie from HK/Toronto

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Canadian (from Toronto) working in Hong Kong at the moment.

Stumbled upon this forum through the YouTube cigar reviews and enjoyed Rob et al.'s antics and comments.

I'm a very casual smoker (smoking 2-5 cigars a year usually in the summer) for the past 5-6 years. Started off with 'Century Sams', but now I only go for the good ol' Cubans.

Anyways, other than introducing myself thought I'd ask a newbie question to everyone in the forum.

Some of you guys have hundreds of nice cigars but only smoke on a weekly basis, but continue to buy more, good stuff.

I understand collecting, etc. But, is the intention to smoke all of them eventually? If you're aging them (for 5-7 years for example) do you intend to smoke them all? Isn't it hard to smoke them all after waiting for so long?

Or, do some of you plan to sell them later on as aged cigars?

What are your thoughts/plans?

Thanks, hope to learn alot about such an interesting hobby/lifestyle.

Chinamike233

I can't speak for others, but I do buy more than I smoke in order to age my cigars. In my limited experience I have found that I tend to like most Cuban cigars with a bit of age on them. This of course is all personal preference. My intentions are to age my own inventory over time in order to stop having to pay what are often exhorbitant prices for aged cigars that may sometimes have been questionably stored. Doing it myself, or having Czar do it for me gives me more peace of mind. I'm only a collector in the sense that I accumulate cigars, but I fully intend on smoking them in the future. Whether I live long enough to smoke what I will likely accumulate over my lifetime is a different question. Most likely not...as I'm not sure how long I will live, but I hope that whatever cigars that I do leave behind will be enjoyed by other BOTLs and not left to sit in some collectors collection never to be smoked.

I fit into that category. Lots of cigars but smoked at a slow rate. I typically buy a lot of cigars because I'm looking to age them and enjoy them later. Having a good variety ensure that I don't run out of any particular cigar. Also, having a nice collection to share amongst my other cigar smoking friends makes for good times. I sometimes have them over or bring a few to my friends cottage. You'll find that fellow cigar smokers tend to be very generous and you will learn to be as well. I've had friends offer me up fine Cubans or bring over fine Cognacs or Whisky to enjoy at my place while we smoke';and they leave the bottles! To me, cigar smoking is the ultimate in relaxation and helps me celebrate life. The cigar dictates how much time I spend, never the opposite. Don't rush a good cigar. You'd be better off taking up filthy cigarettes. :D

Having a lot of cigars also ensures that I have plenty to bring on vacation as well. It beats trying to buy some while away and eliminates the risk I'm getting fakes. You'll also find that reading about cigars will pique your interest in particular makes and you'll want to try them. Enjoy the hobby, the lore and most of all a good cigar.

Since you're working in Hong Kong, have you ever been to Cigarro's?

http://www.thecigarsmoker.com/herfing-hong...clubs-a-79.html

Apparently they have an excellent selection of aged and rare cigars. You should visit, enjoy a Cuban Davidoff , write up a review and take some photos for us. :P

I can only echo what the guys have already said - I acquire cigars to smoke. I also enjoy cigars with at least a couple of years in the box, so it's

nice to have some in waiting. Something else to think about - prices are unlikely to ever come down.

Welcome to FOH.

That is a very good point Colt. I can't believe that it never crossed my mind.

I smoke a fair amount of cigars on a daily/weekly basis. I try to follow the two box rule. I am not a collector and really couldnt afford to be if I wanted to. :P

If I like something after I have "tried" one from a fresh box then I might go ahead and smoke them. Or I might not touch them for 3 -5 years. Or I might sample one every so often. It depends on what I think of them.

I only ever sell a box of cigars if they have fallen out of favor for me and I think someone else will enjoy them. I do not sell for profit. Trading is always an option as well.

Pretty much the same as the other answers here: I acquire cigars in order to smoke them. While I enjoy some relatively fresh, I find 2 to 5 years of age works well for me. If I keep 3 to 4 years worth of inventory, I can age them myself. I also pick up boxes if I see a good deal/sale. Like Ross, I also see it as hedge against inflation. In addition, while there is no way to predict if and when the embargo will ever be lifted, I see accumulating a good inventory as a hedge against any possible effects of the lifting of the embargo (upward price pressure and possible negative quality control effects).

Rick

Welcome to the Forum enjoy ,we do :lol: