John Steinbeck

mazolaman

I've been thinking of good books I've read with a cigar on,on a rare sunny day....

Two from John Steinbeck;Cannery row,and tortilla flat.

Both are excellent easy going reads,and really funny.About the life and low lives who inhabited Monterey,I think in California,concentrating on a few characters,like Mac and the boys,always scheeming and avoiding work.

Great character descriptions,and really funny.

"No, he may be the second best. The best one is Gabriel Garcia Marquez.."

Anyone agree with that? I don't. Marquez is far too spaced out for my liking. 100 years of solitude it felt like GGM had been on LSD when writing it.. :rolleyes:

That's amazing,100 years of solitude was going to be my next recommend.

As for who is the best,I couldn't say,as I never think that way,how can you tell?

It is a fantastic novel,if a bit odd,but it is the poetic nature of the writing that makes it so great(even the english translation).

It felt to me to be an allegory about the birth and development of a nation.

Although I may have been spaced out when reading it.......

A excellent collection,there are some really good tales on there.Some of which experimenting with political ideas he later expressed in the grapes of wrath.

East Of Eden isn't short, but man, what a read.

East Of Eden isn't short, but man, what a read.

It is an excellent novel,but a lot more in depth and weighty.

Another lesser known Steinbeck that is reasonably light read is"travels with Charlie",his account of his trip round the USA in a camper van,with his dog Charlie.

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan Steinbeck, as a writer I am always amazed by his simplicity while holding such a grip on the reader. If you haven't read Burning Bright I would recommend it. Its one of my favorites that some may not even know about. Its one his shorter works and it reads very quick, striking story!