Show Us Your Stick

What the heck, I'll through the hat in too.

My first review of anything ever.

Nice Sunday, quite cold and windy. I keep telling myself it is April and it could be snowing. Have to be outside to keep an eye on my daughter playing so no excuse to not enjoy a cigar :rotfl:post-5796-1271130011.jpg

This stick was part of 5 pack bought off Czar's few months ago. So far, Montecristo and I have not been friends - he took my money and have not given me much pleasure. Hmm, that did not sound right :rolleyes:

Good construction and nice easy draw, just as I like it! Nothing on cold draw, which doesn't say much since I do not usually pick up anything from unlit stick.

post-5796-1271130453.jpg

Started off as nice toasted tobacco. Fairly deep flavour, just very plain Jane, so to speak. This lasted entire first third. Matching well to my cup of espresso, but somewhat boring.

Second third a change to dark roast coffee and cream with splash of vanilla. Nice! Is that what Montecristo should be like? It is the first one that gave me that flavor profile.

Last third cream disappeared and toasted tobacco returned. May be some very robust coffee in it as well, not sure. Again, while not unpleasant, fairly boring.

All in all, nice experience and by far the best Monte I've had so far. I do really pity poor chaps that are presented with Monte #4 "The Classic Cigar" as their first cigar experience. With that much inconsistency, I'd never recommend one as a first cigar someone ever tries, since I would have no idea what would they taste.

I'll give it 87/100. I'm feeling generous B)

"dark roast coffee and cream with splash of vanilla"

I would say yes - this is pretty close to a typical Monte profile (as the experts say). Especially the coffee.

Monte is known to be pretty inconsistent, but I think that can be eliminated by buying HQ stock or going for the classically consistent Especiales #1 or #2 (prefer #2 - NEVER had a bad one).

Though honestly, I've never had a good Monte 4. It's disappointed me every time. I'd probably give it a 70/100 average for all the ones I've smoked.

This stick was part of 5 pack bought off Czar's few months ago. So far, Montecristo and I have not been friends - he took my money and have not given me much pleasure. Hmm, that did not sound right ;)

It seems that that is what Mr. Monte Four likes to do. I had the same experience. So bloody inconsistent.

I've had some poor Monte 4s, but the ones that were on more than made up for all my previous crappy experiences. I think it is just a question of finding the right box. HQ or PSP is definitely the way to go with these cigars.

I have a HQ Monty #5 box in the OCL. Rob selected the box, so I should stand a good chance for a better result than noted on the #4.

Is the inconsistency due to the sheer volume of #4s produced or is there some other reason for what seems to be a high percentage of poor showings vs. good to excellent?

I think the quality suffers because of the sheer demand for this vitola in the Montecristo marca. Because of that I'm sure there are a large number of rollers making this cigar, some who probably aren't the best of highly experienced. As I understand it petit coronas are not rolled by the best rollers. The other thing is the quality of tobacco that is used. I'm sure there is more variation in the tobacco used becasue of the number of cigars that need to be produced. This too could lead to some of the inconsistencies we see in the Monte 4.

IMHO, the main reason for inconsistency is arrogance of the manufacturer. There is plenty of QA experience out there for the cubans to learn from, if only they would. But since so many people keep telling them how cuban cigars are "on different level entirely" and "the best there are, were or will ever be" and keep buying, there is no incentive.

Also, as someone who grew up in USSR, I know that tradition and pride will only motivate very small set of people. If there is no real material incentive for doing a better job, the job is done on the level that doesn't get you noticed and there is a significant group dynamic to make average work be at as low of a level as possible, so no one sticks out.

IMHO, the main reason for inconsistency is arrogance of the manufacturer. There is plenty of QA experience out there for the cubans to learn from, if only they would. But since so many people keep telling them how cuban cigars are "on different level entirely" and "the best there are, were or will ever be" and keep buying, there is no incentive.

Also, as someone who grew up in USSR, I know that tradition and pride will only motivate very small set of people. If there is no real material incentive for doing a better job, the job is done on the level that doesn't get you noticed and there is a significant group dynamic to make average work be at as low of a level as possible, so no one sticks out.

Very true Danashan.

As the boys say around here - "It's Cuba". It's pretty much the excuse for everything.

Very true Danashan.

As the boys say around here - "It's Cuba". It's pretty much the excuse for everything.

Does that explanation strike anyone else as being truly sad...

Very true Danashan.

Not everyone ...

Monte 4 was my first Cuban cigar, in 1987.

I was just fifteen years old, and in my own country, smoking was fashionable and easy as in Cuba.

We were "brothers nations", they had our cars we are their cigarettes and cigars, which were lying in shop on the shelves without a humidors.

A big brother to the east, had our good cigarettes.

Cuban cigars, for many years has been nothing to me ... fortunately, the world has changed and created the internet.

Unfortunately, Cuba has not changed its sad but true.

I have pretty much replaced montes with diplomaticos,as I find them better made and better flavoured.

Other than the Especiales, I've pretty much done the same. Dip 2s have been smoking like dreams recently (though I've only been smoking Czar stock). Dip 4, obviously has a mass of followers.

• 4 weeks later...

Smoked the 4th one from that fiver last Saturday. This one was just disgusting - no flavor except bitter aftertaste. I still don't know why did I persist on torturing myself for 50 mins. The last one of the five will be admonished to the dark corner of my humi and either given another chance in a few years or, more likely, gifted to someone who "only smokes cubans and OpusX" :rolleyes:

I do enjoy a #2 once in while, but overall, I don't see the interest in the brand. Bought a box of Monte #4 Reserva... what a waste of money... Go for the Trinidad if you're looking for that flavor profile! Thanks for sharing the pics Danashan!

• 1 month later...

I work with a fellow who said he tried his only Cuban which was a Monte #4 a few years back and he never wanted another CC ever again, he smokes Padrons. I guess the inconsistency is a factor! Thanks for the review a pics!

Thanks for the review. I've had many bad experiences with MC#4s in the past, especially due to construction problems, so I can echo the collective lamentation above...

However, I recently had a few boxes of 10 (due to abiding suspicions about this cigar), some from Czar HQ/PE, which completely turned these notions upside down - absolutely brilliant, young, straightforward cigars with coffee and sweet cream, bit of cinnamon etc. Nothing overly complex but who cares in such a small cigar. I'm guessing that fellow experienced habanos smokers will know that even in more expensive models that really sweet but balanced chocolatey cream profile isn't there consistently - often it's there in "hints" but only rarely in "spades". If you find it in any cigar buy 10 boxes and share some with the rest of us!!

It was exciting enough for us to do a whacky vid review on the club blog

p.s. had one out of an untouched HQ(!) box today and it had a draw as tight as a [insert preferred insalubrious metaphor here]. MC#4s -ach!