Australian PM takes shot at Alabama

k rudd just isn't funny at all. he wasn't trying to be offensive he just lacks any sort of charm to make a comment like that amusing. bureaucrat on steroids! :rolleyes:

It's fascinating when we get to see the real person shining through a politician's normal façade of propriety. To respond in kind to something offensive said by a comedian shows not just a lack of a sense of humor, but also a lack of understanding of what sorts of things are and aren't proper for a head of state to say. Reminds me of a president we had here a few years back.

And of course you're right. In addition to not being responsible for representing his entire country, Robin Williams has the benefit of actually being funny.

It's fascinating when we get to see the real person shining through a politician's normal façade of propriety. To respond in kind to something offensive said by a comedian shows not just a lack of a sense of humor, but also a lack of understanding of what sorts of things are and aren't proper for a head of state to say. Reminds me of a president we had here a few years back.

And of course you're right. In addition to not being responsible for representing his entire country, Robin Williams has the benefit of actually being funny.

Spot on.

Why demean yourself by responding to a comedian?

the sad fact is that, like far too many politicians, rudd thinks he is terribly witty, loved, cool, god knows what else.

to have opened his mouth at what was mostly reasonably positive and otherwise fairly innocuous comments shows he is as out of touch as could be envisaged.

and seriously, to take on robin williams? the bloke has been one of the sharpest comedians on the planet for 30 years. in a battle of wits, as they say in the classics, our poor mr rudd came unarmed.

On behalf of Australia I would like to apologize to the people of the US for Mr. Rudd.

Not for what he said, I am just so sorry that he even exists.

The man is not a statesman and he has no business being our PM.

A true statesman does not frequent talk shows and FM radio programs pretending to be funny.

A true statesman thinks before he says something that could offend an ally.

Honestly every time I see him on TV I just want to throw something at him.

I'd pay good money to see someone throw a shoe at him.

I think what Robin Williams said was great! Really funny, not out of line. I'm an Aussie, and I cop that sort of crap from Poms and Americans all the time. Just friendly banter. But the main thing is, I give it back twice as hard :)

Aussies are known for being laid back, and being able to have a laugh at themselves. In this case Rudd was out of line.

However, he probably wanted to look like he was defending Australians... which is kind of his job. So I think we should let him do it.

Though why he chose in turn to offend Alabamans, I have no idea.

I too love Robin Williams' work. Check youtube for his account of how golf was invented. Absolute classic.

The best boss I have had happened to be an Alabamian and certainly no redneck. The whole thing is embarrassing for us Aussies.

Rudd is in an election year and not playing it cool. And when is he going to knock that fool Conroy on the head? The one that wants to censor the internet. Honestly.

If they played a little more of the interview with Letterman, Williams went on to say how nice Australians are.

It was just the Australian media and unforgivably Krudd who took advantage of the bit about us being rednecks.

I took no offense at the comments because I know this is just the humor of Robin Williams and to a certain extent I agree that we are kind of redneck versions of the Pomms.

Rudd is just a talking head that has not delivered on one single promise since he was elected.

Who the hell cares what he says.

Yeah, really not approriate for a head of state to be trading shots with a comedian. Not what they're elected and paid to do. Makes him seem a bit petty.

Still, in the grand scheme of atrociously bad post 80s politicians, I'd say Rudd is ok.....from a distance

These types of issues could easily be avoided if everyone understood their place.

Comedians are funny and expected to make off hand remarks, it comes with the job.

Politicians, on the other hand, are thieves who rob countries and people through the imposition of silly laws and useless taxes.

The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are both around to serve their own selfish needs. Come to think of it, we would probably be better off with a comedian running the country. :rolleyes: