Woah... where'd that come from?

So I just finished smoking an H. Upmann Magnum 50, one of my real 'go to' cigars.

They're a consistent flavor but in the second third it suddenly changed on me - overwhelming flavors of candied apples became the notes, sweetness and sugars I have never seen in this cigar before.

I don't know if it was the oolong (green tea) I was drinking or the roast potato i had to the side or what but man, what a shock (not in a bad way i should point out)

So share some of your stories of cigars you have picked up that have delivered an unexpected flavor, be it an old favorite with a dramatic change or a new cigar you had different expectations for.

I love it when a cigar simply drips honey. Rare as hens teeth. the HDM Ddes Dieux from the video review was one, I always recall a Cohiba Robusto from 2002 as another, a Punch Churchill from 1996, a LGC Tainos from 1998, Cohiba Siglo VI 03, All honey drippers that I will always remember.

Sometimes in the 08 Diplo 4's I get hints of white marshmellow which was never expected. It has gotten to the point now where when I pick one up I go looking for this type of sweetness it is that good. Cant recall anything else that has gone close to such a taste although the odd Siglo VI has a unique sweetness to it aswell I find.

I have to agree with Rob about the honey in the 03 sig vi's but I will also add that I'll never forget my first 03 Upmann Sir Winston- pure fresh baked Chollah bread. It has a distinct sweetness to it. Pure bliss.

I had a box of 04 bbfs light wrapper shade that all just had a real pronounced coffee taste. One night so much I Had to smoke two back to back just to clarify. Mostly out of that cigar I had gotten earth and white pepper but this was a true black coffee and I didn't even drink coffe then. Another were a couple bcj's from the same box, one had almost a cherry cola flavor real dark Cherry flavor the other tasted like I grabbed a handful of fresh dark soil and threw it in my mouth. Now I know bolis are suppossed to be earthy but this was so pronounced it was unreal and then it was laden with pepper. Quite a smoke, I think it was an 04 box I got from the prez and I remember it like it was yesterday. Still haven't had one like it since and I smoke quite a few bcj's.

I have to agree with Rob about the honey in the 03 sig vi's but I will also add that I'll never forget my first 03 Upmann Sir Winston- pure fresh baked Chollah bread. It has a distinct sweetness to it. Pure bliss.
Sweet! I've got a box in storage. Any chance any of them will taste like challah french toast? LOL that would be amazing!

Rick

I once smoked a La Flor de Cano Gran Corona that provided three distinct flavors, two of which I haven't encountered since I was a child. It started off with the flavor of cooked mushrooms, and I was really excited about how it would develop. Sadly, the first half inch was the best part. It next revealed the taste of lawn clippings that were left to dry in the sun. You know how the trimmings will pancake together as they dry? This cigar had that damp grassy smell that hits you if you flip one of those pancakes over.

About halfway in, the cigar took an unexpected turn. Two consecutive draws tasted like the smell of model glue! Really strange. If these flavors are characteristic of the marca, it's no wonder they didn't last long on the market.