The tax office.

At the appropriate time last year, I contacted the tax office to make an election re paying GST/BAS, as they had suggested in earlier discussions. No drama at all.

I made said election re payment (which was to pay their set amount 1/4ly).

They send form setting out said amount 'x'. I pay x prior to requested date 'y' into specific account 'z', all as requested. Simple.

But and here is where I made the massive and unforgivable error – I did not again contact our tax office by way of the appropriate form to tell them that the amount of x, that they requested be paid into z by y, was actually paid into z by y, notwithstanding that their records show that x was paid into z by y.

Apparently, and they claim I'd be amazed how often this happens, I could have been paying the requested amount for another reason (because I'm the sort of guy that loves to fling money at the tax dept) and it is simply a coincidence that it happens to be the same amount. Seriously, they told me this. They also assured me that the system is in place as a result of public demand (and I thought most of us ticked the box requesting that all tax office staff die a slow and agonising death).

They also told me I'd be surprised at how many people make the same mistake that I have made (not the mistake of assuming that there would be one single skerrick of common sense in our public service but the mistake of assuming that if I paid the amount they requested into the account they nominated that they would think I was actually paying what they wanted where they wanted). I suggested that this might indicate a minor flaw in their system and might actually then not be what the public demands but they were not able to comment. They were not able to comment to a number of my suggestions.

Now, one would think that all this was so bizarre that it could not really be possible, but, even if it were possible, simple to fix. They've had the money on time. I just confirm on said form, even if a bit late. But no. After all, how often do bureaucrats get a chance to really stuff you around? Far too often, actually. This means I get transferred to a different system (the one that I rang about being moved from in the first place and not only do I not pay set amounts in future 1/4s, I now have to go back over every single transaction from the first ¼.

They have told me that they may not charge me interest on the amount to be paid from the first ¼. Though it seems they could if they wanted to. Even though they have had the money the entire time. That would be the amount they requested.

But they can fine me if they want (they may or may not and if they do, they may or may not revoke said fine). I asked if being fined for paying the amount they requested at the time they requested but simply not telling them that I had paid the amount requested at the time requested seemed fair. They couldn't comment.

So rather than spend more than a week working and earning money that I can pay tax upon, I'll be doing this crap.

I shared my views on the tax office and its inhabitants (who, except for the dill aged approximately 12 who went into meltdown at the mere mention of common sense, were irritatingly polite – and who genuinely seem to believe that this morass is an efficient system). Indeed, I shared what I believe to be the views of all Australians about the tax office.

Perhaps not wise but I did feel marginally better.

KBG

karma!

P.S. What's GST/BAS? And if you can elect to pay it, I probably would have elected not to.

Our version of VAT.

ken, so sorry to hear of your drama's. I am assuming having to pay the Tax office means less money in my pocket.

karma!

P.S. What's GST/BAS? And if you can elect to pay it, I probably would have elected not to.

we have to report 1/4ly - must elect to do so in one of their 3 ways (you don't get a choice of opting out, just he way you pay) and the GST is our equivalent of the value added tax.

I did not again contact our tax office by way of the appropriate form to tell them that the amount of x, that they requested be paid into z by y, was actually paid into z by y, notwithstanding that their records show that x was paid into z by y.

Here's an idea Ken, just putting it out there.

The amount of time spent typing that long description of what had happened, that time may have been spent better just contacting the ATO and telling that you had paid x into y by z!

Just an idea Ken.

Here's an idea Ken, just putting it out there.

The amount of time spent typing that long description of what had happened, that time may have been spent better just contacting the ATO and telling that you had paid x into y by z!

Just an idea Ken.

smithy, brilliant. why didn't i think of that?

why in the hours of idle chat that i've indulged in with the ato today did it not occur to me to mention it. there was i shooting the breeze with five different members of the friendly neighbourhood (actually not neighbourhood tax office as they made me speak to perth) ato and it never occured to me. next time i ring them to just chew the fat i must drop it into the conversation. i feel like such a dill.

they know. i've told them. they've told me that they know BUT where would be the fun in not making things as convoluted as possible.

Ken, come on - you've got it pretty easy over there as far as bureaucrats go!

I know a bloke here who owns a small business doing accounting outsourcing. One day, he come back to Russia from a business trip, and goes to make a payment for some services, and finds out that his company's bank account has been locked for the past 3 days by the Tax Authorities (which normally is a sign that someone intends to kill you in Russia).

So he calls up the Tax office, and inquires about what's going on.

The Taxman says: "Oh yeah yeah. We blocked that account."

Friend: "What for?"

TM: "Well we've been trying to get in touch with you for several days and you weren't picking up your phone"

It turned out they simply had a question about a recent payment... :2thumbs:

i mentioned it to a mate in bangkok and this was the printable part of his response.

Fortunately I am entirely beyond their jurisdiction and deal with the much more accommodating Thais for whom a 1,000 baht note, deposited in a brown paper envelope and passed under a desk is almost always the missing paperwork...

ato along with customs = dumb and dumber

Oh don't get me started! I'm waiting for my Czar order for two weeks now! It's stuck at the Russian customs. Some a$$hole decided to change the customs law on March 1st, now no-one has any idea what to do anymore (in Russia, changing the law does not go hand in hand with "telling" people you changed it or explaining how it should be implemented). So Russian customs is pretty much "closed" for the foreseeable future (until someone in the gov't can't receive their package).

So Russian customs is pretty much "closed" for the foreseeable future (until someone in the gov't can't receive their package).

no good mate! ah yes, incompetent and hypocritical

i mentioned it to a mate in bangkok and this was the printable part of his response.

Fortunately I am entirely beyond their jurisdiction and deal with the much more accommodating Thais for whom a 1,000 baht note, deposited in a brown paper envelope and passed under a desk is almost always the missing paperwork...

Hmm.. Did not know this happens down under... Now, to get that type of system integrated here....

Any words of wisdom?

:2thumbs:

Ken, are you desperate to get audited?

you mean again!

they found nothing last time.

they might piss me off, and vice versa, but i really make sure that when it is done it is all in order. no sense in giving them that pleasure.

and not that i would ever want to be seen to be defending them but the bloke i dealt with for that was very fair and helpful (except when at the very end, we discovered i had not claimed as much as i could have and he told me that apparently i could be fined for that as well - no idea if that still applies, i was rather hoping that was tax office humour). but rather not have to go through it again.

they must think i actually earn something????