Cigar saves Picasso

Went up to Canberra for the 'Paintings from Paris' post -impressionist exhibition at the National Gallery (Must get back there with more time to have a smoke with some FoH members in the Capital)

Anyway, picked up a book on Picasso by I. Walther and read about how Picasso very nearly didn't make it through alive as he was brought into the world. The midwife apparently had given him up for dead and was more focussed on looking after his mother. Picasso's uncle, Don Salvador, who also happened to be a doctor blew cigar smoke into his face which made him cry.

To think we very nearly wouldn't have known one of the geniuses of the 20th century but for a cigar.

Anyone else got a favourite cigar story?

Went up to Canberra for the 'Paintings from Paris' post -impressionist exhibition at the National Gallery (Must get back there with more time to have a smoke with some FoH members in the Capital)

Anyway, picked up a book on Picasso by I. Walther and read about how Picasso very nearly didn't make it through alive as he was brought into the world. The midwife apparently had given him up for dead and was more focussed on looking after his mother. Picasso's uncle, Don Salvador, who also happened to be a doctor blew cigar smoke into his face which made him cry.

To think we very nearly wouldn't have known one of the geniuses of the 20th century but for a cigar.

Anyone else got a favourite cigar story?

terrific stuff - would love to see a doc light up in th maternity ward these days. it would be front page outrage.

Not in the same category, but the sight of Churchill with a cigar walking the streets of london the morning after a night blitz by the nazis with the city in near total obliteration, still knocks me off me chair everytime.. To think of such diverse circumstances that one has smoked a cigar in over the course of its history, to me is beautiful..