Back from Varadero........

Hi all,

Just got back from Varadero and thought I'd share what I was able to find and what I saw. I'm trying to post pics of my purchases but I'm having trouble with the attachments.

Anyhoo, I visted the LCDH in the Las Americas Mall and the main LCDH in Varadero on Calle 64. I didn't end up buying anything at the mall location as the didn't have what I was looking for and said they couldn't get any. They didn't even have BBC's in the slide lid box or boxes of 24 Trinni Robusto T's. Mind you I interrupted a Monday morning confab with my visit so maybe they were more intent on catching up with the gossip ;)

So, I headed down the LCDH in Varadero via a sweet '57 Ford taxi that the driver said still had the original V8. :huh:

That is where I scored everything on my want list much to my surprise. I got their last box of H Upmann Sir Winstons (UPMNOV08), their second last box of Punch RS 11 (RSOABR07), the last box of Partagas SDC 1 (LSMJUL07) and a 24 cab of Trinni Robusto T's (OUSSEP09). I was even surprised to see a stand alone humidor with LE's from 07 (hoyo) 08 (paragas) 09 (RyJ) and 10 (upmann).

They seemed to be very well stocked but everything except my Partagas were way over humidified to the point that the band on the Punch RS 11's was squeezing into the sides of a couple cigars. I immediately cut the band in the hotel room and they sprung back to normal.

Hopefully I get the mechanical difficulties with the pics worked out shortly!

Jimbo let us know a little more about where you stayed in Varadero. A pic or two would be great!

Will do, I'm still sorting out the beach/hotel pics and got some great shots of all the classic cars on the buggy ride around Varadero. Once I get them all sorted I'll post under a new topic.

Btw, I recall you asking in another thread if they were still lifting bands/seals to allow inspection of the cigars. I can say that when I was there, they refused. The bands seem pretty easy to peel but those new seals seem to stick like hell, at least on my boxes.

Great choice of cigars there. I have never seen trinidads with wrappers that dark I don't think. The Robustos I have had always had a light, flakey delicate wrapper!

Yeah the camera (not the operator) seems to have made all the wrappers appear bit darker, I'd say one to two shades lighter is what they really look like.

Yeah the camera (not the operator) seems to have made all the wrappers appear bit darker, I'd say one to two shades lighter is what they really look like.

Where did you stay? I'm heading out to the Iberostar Laguna Azul on Friday and it looks great from the brochures!

I'm in St. Charles IL (near Chicago, ish) til Weds, so will be heading out to a local B&M to try a couple of non cubans tomorrow evening...

Where did you stay? I'm heading out to the Iberostar Laguna Azul on Friday and it looks great from the brochures!

I'm in St. Charles IL (near Chicago, ish) til Weds, so will be heading out to a local B&M to try a couple of non cubans tomorrow evening...

I was at the Breezes Bella Costa. You should have a great time at the Laguna Azul, I didn't make it that far up the point to see what it looks like but it is a new hotel and I hear it's nice. Enjoy your trip!