weird trivia

i remember many years ago when my sister gave my dad CPR - she was a physio at the time and saved his life (he was in the middle of a series of heart attacks which eventually claimed his life) - and that the thing she said was that in real life (as opposed to what you see on tv) you really need to thump hard. apparently, more often than not, successful CPR leaves the recipient with busted ribs.

another problem i did not realise was that people have difficulty knowing what rate to thump. scientists, or possibly DJ's, have discovered that the correct rhythm is to keep in tune with the BeeGees song, 'Staying Alive'. of all the songs in the world, it seems a bizarre coincidence that it is a song with that name. odd.

I do not know how many times I have looked over at my wife during some TV drama where CPR is being given hollywood style and said "that guy is dead". Chest compessions to be effective will break ribs especaily in older folks.

As to the BeeGees, Thanks a lot for putting that ditty in my head... but it works for the rhythm

Spot on Ken

I to have also heard this thanks for posting

Cheers Oz :cigar:

I've heard that compressions are so much more important that giving breaths during CPR that there is no need to give breaths any longer. It's called Hands only CPR.

Part of that change may be because of the repulsion some may have at locking mouths with a potential stranger. Either that our now you can actually sing Stayin Alive instead of just having it play in your mind.

I've heard that compressions are so much more important that giving breaths during CPR that there is no need to give breaths any longer. It's called Hands only CPR.

Part of that change may be because of the repulsion some may have at locking mouths with a potential stranger. Either that our now you can actually sing Stayin Alive instead of just having it play in your mind.

I believe that the new studies show that there is enough oxygen in the blood, and that the blood just really needs to be circulated. And if you do find a stranger "down." you can give compression only CPR. Remember to compress the rib cage 1 inch down (you will break ribs.) Not sure on which song to sing, but just go hard and fast.

Seeing this thread is about weird trivia, here goes:

- Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula."

- The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

- Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute.

- A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

- Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy.

- The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

For what it's worth.... :cigar:

Great thread Ken.

i knew the armadillo one. no idea why.

any mention of CPR always reminds me of the simpsons when somneone goes down and there is a crowd and someone yells out if anyone knows CPR. a voice from the back, 'i do' and to everyone's amazement, through steps homer. stands over the bloke, looks down, starts doing air guitar and singing, 'i see a bad moon rising'.

spat my wine across the room i laughed so hard.