“Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios”

This is my last stick from a box of 10 from 10/2007. It has been resting in my humidor for over a year at 75% humidity, just the way I like it. The wrapper is flawless, oily and gorges dark, almost black, and acording to Habanos SA, over five years old (hence the name Maduro 5), which makes this a seven year old smoke.

I truely love this cigar. This is an explosion of sweet flavors. A masterpeice in construction and chocolate flavor. This cigar peaks with a nice bottle of Demi-sec champagne, Veuve Clicquot. On the draw is a bounch of sweet chocolate, a bit pepper on the tongue and licorice/espresso in the aftertaste. There is a lovely salty/licorice taste on the lips. The room is filling op with a sweet nutty dark aroma, pleasuring the nose. There is no sour notes like coffee or citrus. The burn is a bit unstable and uneven, which I in this rare case find charming. A real desert, just amazing. I rate this 95.

foto1.jpg

Thanks! Haven't really seen any reviews on this. i know they are expensive though, but maybe worth trying a couple. sounds and looks great. I like that citrus aspect to cohibas though

Thanks Jaksen. I smoked a Magicos last weekend. It's truly nutty, sweet and maybe a bit chocolately as you said. But I thought it had no balls. I love mild cigars, as the flavour is usually very subtle and interesting. But in the case of the Magicos, the extreme mildness just made everything boring. In addition, there was no flavour development what so ever.

I couldn't even detect a hint of the classic Cohiba taste in it - where was the grass and cream? In fact, it didn't even have a Cuban twang.

Strange, as the Magicos and Genios used to be my favourite smokes (when I JUST stated smoking cigars), now I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Funny how tastes change.

On a positive note, the next day I smoked a Quintero Nacionale which was spectacular (and 1/6 of the price!)

Keep up the good work on the reviews mate!

Am really liking your current reviews! Keep up the good work. I have had some very nice occasions with this cigar as well.

Nice review Jaksen and the picture is great. Just wondering about your Rh...I know everyone has their own preferneces, but I am interested to know what your burn and draw are like at 75Rh.

%75RH, that is high.

When I started storing cigars in my coolidor I set the RH on %70 and almost all my cigars

were tight as hell,after some tiome I lower the RH to %60-%62 and now its much better.

I still let the cigar I'm gonna smoke dry out for about a day before I light it.

Kangaroo495: I think the problem with the Maduro 5 series is that it's not "typical" cohiba and should not be compared to the rest of the brand. It has a taste and feel of its own.

Finecigar: Thanks! Appreciate it!

Thechenman: I am having problems with 1/20 of my cigars. The draw and burn is perfect to okay, but occasionally I discard a cigar because of problems, which is to be expected. The 75% humidity gives the cigars a little more balance IMO.