Humidifier AND Beads in desktop?

Freddy

Sorry for noob question.

I have two Diamond Crown desktop humidors, each equipped with humidifier and digital hygrometer (salt tested and accurate), and the humidors were seasoned.

The humidity sometimes falls too low (60-62).

My question: if I get beads or Boveda packs can these be added to the system, or should I first remove the humidifier?

Thanks for your attention.

get the 65% beads and you shouldn't have to mess around again. you can have both in there but its kind of redundent. i used a puck humidifier and beads before just experimenting and it didn't do anything crazy but now i use strictly beads.

Thanks, guys. Beads it will be, and I'll remove the redundant humidifier.

Follow-up question: How much (many) beads do I need for a 150 ct desktop, and another 100 ct?

Which beads are best?

As you can see, "beads" is an entirely new universe for me

I use HeartFelt. Here's a link to a calculator; it's volume based:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

As they say, you can never have too many beads...

Thanks for the useful table, daboose.

Does one place beads directly over the cigars, loose, or does one place them in the containers in which I assume they come?

Also, let's say you have to leave for couple of weeks or a month, do the beads keep the humidity for that length of time?

Sorry for all these noob questions, but, as I mentioned, beads is a new world for me. :lol:

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm now all set, and here's what I have learned from this thread:

1. Use Heartfelt beads and remove humidifier

2. Place beads in glass jar at bottom of humidor

3. Amount of beads should correspond to the cubic capacity of my desktop humidors, as per the calculator provided by daboose.

I'm set. Thanks again!

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm now all set, and here's what I have learned from this thread:

1. Use Heartfelt beads and remove humidifier

2. Place beads in glass jar at bottom of humidor

3. Amount of beads should correspond to the cubic capacity of my desktop humidors, as per the calculator provided by daboose.

I'm set. Thanks again!

If you elect to use a glass jar the HF web site cautions the following:

The main point of whatever container you choose is to have the greatest amount of surface area as possible. If possible the beads should be no more than
1 to 1 ½ inches deep
, this way they will work the best.

I elected for two tubes of beads; one in the bottom section and one in the top tray. And then 'steal' one to use in my travel humidor and return it when I'm finished with it. ;)

As mentioned, beads work best when a lot of surface area is exposed. a jar would only expose the top portion. I highly recommend buying the mesh bags. perhaps two in a 100 ct. desktop. I have 100+ quart coolerdors and have the beads in four bags, two near the top on top of boxes, two on the bottom. many people put beads inside nylon stockings. As far as I understand, beads from Heartfelt are basically the same as beads from Cigarmony.com. I have used both "brands" with equal success. Keep in mind, the beads will work flawlessly as long as the humidor has a VERY good seal. Also, they work slowly over time. Not hours or days, but weeks. take out what you'll smoke for the next two weeks and leave the lid closed. also, in my experience, beads are real good at raising RH, and take a lot longer to lower it.

What's the best way to go about wetting the beads? I know some people just get them damp and some soak them. Can you do this through the mess bag...and what is best? Thanks in advance....

I don't know about the "best way" of wetting the beads, but what works for me is an oral syringe. I use this syringe and meter the necessary amount of distilled water right into the bag or tube of beads. My local pharmacist gave me several oral syringes just for the asking. Otherwise you can purchase similar syringes at a pet store that are used to administer medicine.

HeartF web site advertises the following ways:

Place beads next to a container of distilled water.

Use the spray bottle the HeartF beads come with.

What's the best way to go about wetting the beads? I know some people just get them damp and some soak them. Can you do this through the mess bag...and what is best? Thanks in advance....

I don't recommend soaking the beads. You want them damp, but not completely wet. The reason is that you want the beads to be half-way humidified to their capacity, that way, they can absorb or release humidity to the environment as needed. If too wet, they won't be able to soak up additional humidity, and vice versa when too dry.

If you have them in a mesh bag and use them in a small desk side humidor, I would recommend spraying them. If they are in a container, you can carefully pour some distilled water into the container (not too much).

I usually spray them with a spray bottle...you can get them at any hardware store. Be sure to use distilled water as the impurities in the non-distilled stuff clogs up the beads and reduces their effectiveness.