"Freezador" with cooling and heating

daboose

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s be almost a year since but “The Vault” is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months. Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off t

I'll proudly hang it on The Vault. Thanks!

Great work. I like the simplicity of your system and I want copy it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Here, the temperature can goes up to 120F in summer. My only concern is condensation inside the

Building another one as we speak, but with active humidification and a few other modifications. Love it!!!

• 2 years later...

Its be almost a year since but The Vault is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months.

Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off the bat ... GET A DATA LOGGER! Thank you Piggy!

The data kept me objective. I have copious amounts of data experimenting with two different thermo-electric wine coolers over the past year. Since each cooler was set up differently and cigars stored in various ways, the data guided me which way to proceed with this project in order to achieve the desired goals for temperature and a steady RH.

As summer approaches, I'll be watching it very closely with my trusty data logger. And of course, the true test is how they smoke...I have not yet been disappointed.

I'll update the attached PDF as the summer ensues. There's a lot of empty space in The Vault. Lisa has been put on notice. laugh.gif

attachicon.gifThe_Vault.pdf

(PDF corrected to reflect correct amount of RH beads in a container.)

What brand containers did you get and where did you get them?

You have given me hope to expand my cigar empire :)

Brilliant!

I was able to get my containers at:

http://www.containerstore.com

http://www.storables.com

http://www.organize.com

http://www.amazon.com

Wow, prices have really jumped since I put The Vault together.

The Vault is still running and running well. Good luck with your venture.

I bought my containers at walmart. 3 years in and they work perfectly! So does my Freezer!

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to do the same sort of set up soon, but don't understand using a freezer instead of a refrigerator? Seems that a freezer would be too cold. What am I missing??

Looking to do the same sort of set up soon, but don't understand using a freezer instead of a refrigerator? Seems that a freezer would be too cold. What am I missing??

you install commercial thermostat controls to both, Freezers are more efficient in many ways.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question: Is the frost free bit important? Or would a chest freezer work (or is this a "try it and see" situation) given the protocol would be putting boxes/singles in sealed containers with beads in them and placing the containers in the freezer for temp control?

IMHO, I don't believe the frost free is an issue. I was going to use a chest freezer but didn't have the floor space since these typically have a larger footprint.

Im about to start a similar build

I will be using a fridge (just cause i had a spare one in the shed)

STC-1000 temperature controller, very common, cheap reliable. A lot of brewers use these. They do require a little wiring up but most of the controllers you buy are essentially this unit inside.

A load of 7L 'sistema' container's, can get them on sale for $6 from Coles

Boveda packs cause i cant be bothered with beads. As Piggy will explain with much more elegance and knowledge, beads are by no means 'programmed' at a set RH.

All up should run about $120AUD not including the fridge which i picked up for nothing.anyway. Very budget system.

Im just waiting for parts to land and ill take some progress pictures and put them up for a little bit of reference.

• Like 1

Just a quick update...

Got the controller wired up and working. Word of advice, the wiring diagram ontop of the controller is NOT correct! haha that was painful....

The picture of the fridge was the game plan... After it running for a couple of days the fridge carked it. Just needs a re-gas but thats not worth the effort of money.

It costs about $150 to re-gas the fridge. Its only a 300L fridge so im going to upgrade to a commercial fridge. I have sourced a large commercial fridge (1,200L) that i will use instead for about $300-$400.

Will keep you posted...

post-12484-0-18558600-1429313015_thumb.j

post-12484-0-44985400-1429313610_thumb.j

Sorry the fridge died.

I just picked up my freezer. Control unit is in route. I need to get a data logger. And, speaking of data loggers: does anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably priced data logger that's Linux/Mac compatible? I'd like to not have to break down and build one right now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, I don't believe the frost free is an issue. I was going to use a chest freezer but didn't have the floor space since these typically have a larger footprint.

The typical automat defrost system (frost free) uses a heating coil (typically around the door frame) and will cycle itself on based on a programmed schedule or number of door openings. Since projects like this aren't running the unit at a freezing level, it seems to me that a manual defrost would be the best unit to select. Otherwise you would have to disable the frost free feature, since it turns itself on not when there's frost, but based on a preprogrammed schedule.

Manual defrost doesn't appear to be making a difference in my project. The chest freezer is working smoothly with the STC-1000F (they make a degF now for those of use who don't speak Celsius). I'm doing some traveling so I can't get my data logger just yet, but I expect pretty stable temp results (and as such stable rH using sealed containers and beads or boveda packs).

Right now, with a 1degF differential my freezer kicks on for about 30 seconds. A typical cycle runs about 35 minutes from 63degF to 66degF (about 30 - 60 seconds of compressor run time when the controller kicks the freezer in).

When I get some actual data I'll post. But it's going to be a while.

Although i have downsized to a large desktop... i am thinking about doing a small freezerdor to alleviate hi temps during hot summer mo.

Looking at small freezers and temp controller. I want basically a plug and play set up.

Anyone have recommendations on both?

Thinking of having the freezer/tupperdor as others are doing. Seems logical and budget friendly.

Thx

Was looking at johnson controllers but willing to consider others at higher price point for better performance if cost not too high. Anyone have experience with these controllers?

Cheers!

Was looking at johnson controllers but willing to consider others at higher price point for better performance if cost not too high. Anyone have experience with these controllers?

Cheers!

You should probably buy one of the Johnson controls based on the anti short cycle feature if you care about such things.

Temperature controllers are easy and not that expensive. Getting 1˚F accuracy or better with a NTC or even thermocouple sender based controller is not that hard. Ultimately, the climate as well as the activation logic of the controller you buy will determine how well you control temperature. Since you will be using smaller "sub climates" to control the rH, their insulation value will help dampen the changes based on even the crudest of temperature controllers.

Precision controllers are not necessarily more accurate or even precise (while most are). Precision comes in the form of control over the set point and activation logic that they provide. Without a unified solution, or a more consummate approach to actively controlling both rH and temperature as a part of an active system, you don't need it. Spend your money on cigars!

Cheers! Piggy

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments on this pig fish. Not sure what my approach will be but i am leaning towards this ...

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably buy one of the Johnson controls based on the anti short cycle feature if you care about such things.

Temperature controllers are easy and not that expensive. Getting 1˚F accuracy or better with a NTC or even thermocouple sender based controller is not that hard. Ultimately, the climate as well as the activation logic of the controller you buy will determine how well you control temperature. Since you will be using smaller "sub climates" to control the rH, their insulation value will help dampen the changes based on even the crudest of temperature controllers.

Precision controllers are not necessarily more accurate or even precise (while most are). Precision comes in the form of control over the set point and activation logic that they provide. Without a unified solution, or a more consummate approach to actively controlling both rH and temperature as a part of an active system, you don't need it. Spend your money on cigars!

Cheers! Piggy

Yeah, what Ray said! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

Got the controller wired up and working. Word of advice, the wiring diagram ontop of the controller is NOT correct! haha that was painful....

What do we have to watch out for in the wiring diagram?

There are a few different "versions" of the diagram that come on top of the unit. Mine was just fine (one of the new deg*F models). But I've seen some that have diagrams that are just plain wrong (heating/cooling one way on the diagram and the other way in the unit). It's China... I'm sure the men turning these out are well paid sneaky.gif