"Freezador" with cooling and heating

daboose

I am thinking of making something very similar but unfortunately its impossible to find airtight containers of decent size where I live. Would it be possible to use heavy duty ziploc bags for this?

Would it make a huge difference when compared to plastic airtight containers?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s be almost a year since but “The Vault” is now operational. It's been up and running for about 2 months. Thanks to everyone for posting their humidor experiences. One thing I learned right off t

I'll proudly hang it on The Vault. Thanks!

Great work. I like the simplicity of your system and I want copy it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Here, the temperature can goes up to 120F in summer. My only concern is condensation inside the

I am thinking of making something very similar but unfortunately its impossible to find airtight containers of decent size where I live. Would it be possible to use heavy duty ziploc bags for this?

Would it make a huge difference when compared to plastic airtight containers?

If no choice double or triple the bags up, put in a digital rh measurer with Boveda, and see how it works for you.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I need to start experimenting. Meanwhile I managed to find some good airtight containers but with the chest freezer I currently have I will only be able to fit 3 of them inside.

That means that I must buy a new and bigger freezer.

Ive already ordered an stc-1000 from china and when I have it, I'll begin taking measurements from my chest freezer with a small tupperwear that contains boveda packs and a temperature/humidity sensor plugged in a raspberry pi. I'll place the tupperwear in different regions of the freezer, see how the measurements are affected.

After that I will try with the ziplocks but I'll probably need a logger for this. We'll see.

I might need advice on what freezer to get though.

My main problem was condensation when opening freezer as I live in the tropics. Hence kitty litter or boveda needed to help with that for the space around containers, to make leakage not as big an issue. I actually use a few ziplocks doubled up and seems ok for now. The condensation is the big problem for me. that is now sorted. So I am not worried about using ziplocks myself. I keep it at 19c.

I wonder if anyone uses heat coils to raise the temp in colder climates?

In the tropics the condensation was external, not from containers. Ie opening freezer door. Hence keeping inside of fridge stable rh in 60's is desirable - as container leakage won't be dramatic such as problem with coloured mold as opposed to white mold with water condensation accumulating on wall of fridge..

I see, I didn't realize it was something so dramatic. Is it caused by high ambient rh or high delta temperatures?

Perhaps the most efficient (and cheapest) way of solving this is by using something like silica beads. I'll considering if condensation becomes a problem.

• 1 month later...

I am currently doing experiments with a chest freezer, a zip loc bag and a logger and everything is going well. However

I might need advice on what freezer to get though.

I am thinking of buying a large upright for the project and I am split between the 2 basic designs: either a frost free freezer which uses a fan to distribute cooling (as the OP) or the regular types with several cooling elements each placed on the bottom of each drawer. The latter option is cheaper as well.

It is difficult to incorporate heating in the latter especially if you're using the plastic drawers/boxes but what I am really concerned about is the temperature uniformity on these types? Which one you think its going to be better?

Chest freezers are a third and even cheaper option but a bit impractical IMHO.

I built a freezador out of an old 53' Frigidaire. I wired it for fans and active humidification but put some KL in in the beginning and it has kept 64/65 for the past several years. I looked on Craigslist for a few weeks and came across it. The guy posted free if you pickup out of basement. I stripped the compressor and coil, pulled the trays filled in the holes with bondo. Then lined it with SC and it is good to go.

post-23406-0-48131300-1449776905_thumb.j
  • Like 1