Gispert's, the misfit of Habanos

If ever there was a Habano brand that left the least significant impression

in the minds of CC smokers, the first prize would have to go to the brand " Gispert ".

GISPERT Y Câ, was founded in the 1930's by Simon Annoys Pelàez in Pinar del Rio.

In Min Ron Nee's book, he states that these cigars must have been very popular because

there were 11 vitolas made under the Gispert brand. I have smoked Gispert's since as

far as I can remember. In the late 70's up to a year and a half ago when they discontinued

the brand. they were very easy to buy in France , Switzerland, Belgium and some other

countries in Europe.

The cigars were very easy going smokes with not much complexity, (even in it's glorious days)

It was more on a floral herbal note with earthy tobacco taste.

In the 90's and until the brand was discontinued, the only vitola left was the "Habaneras No. 2 "

which was machine made but hand finished for Switzerland and all machine made for

the other countries. There has never been much info or stories about Gispert cigars, even

at HSA, never in any cigar review, not one word in any magazine and , the best, never saw

the brand on a" to be dicontinued" list. Even I forgot about this brand if it wasn't for the

fact that I was arranging a place for my old boxes when I happened to fall on this box.

Only now did it bring back good memories. It's funny how sometimes certain things just

don't leave a lasting image. I guess I will miss those Gispert's ....................I guess :surprised:

post-3705-1264529748.jpg

post-3705-1264529820.jpg

post-3705-1264529891.jpg

Merci pour les souvenirs, Guy.

Fascinating and informative.

Interesting to see the "Totalmente a mano" stamp on a box of, at most, hand finished cigars.

As the box seems to be from the 80s, (1988? hard to read the date stamp sideways),

it seems this half-truth is a long-established tactic.

I never got to try a Gispert, but if they ever do cross my path,

your post has inspired me to give them a go.

Thanks Guy and Dimitri :confused:

Never a brand which raised passionate debate!LOL!

One does wonder about the Cubatabaco marketing strategy with Belinda, Gispert, Troya, Los Statos, Cabanas all doing pretty much the same thing.

Great post mate cheers for opening my eyes to the Gispert brand, never have a read a thing about them let alone smoked one..

Very interested to see if anyone in here may have a few stashed away and be able to write a review on one?!?! Any takers?

Very interested to see if anyone in here may have a few stashed away and be able to write a review on one?!?! Any takers?

I have contacted a few persons in Switzerland and elsewhere

to see if they can hunt down a few boxes.

If they succeed, I will post a review :buddies:

Great post mate cheers for opening my eyes to the Gispert brand, never have a read a thing about them let alone smoked one..

I've got some coronas hidden away, will do a review of one along with an old PL sometime next week :party: