JW gold - clarification and update

Ken Gargett

seems that there are golds and there are golds.

queried the mob sending it to me as some thing just didn't add up with what a lot of the guys were saying.

seems i got the 'gold reserve' which is not quite the same thing. this was their response.

The Johnnie Walker Gold Label we sent you is a new introduction to the family, Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve. Designed and blended using hand selected casks of Whisky from the Master Blender’s private reserve, these casks are expressions of the Master Blender’s favourite Whiskies, notably one particular distillery selected is Clynelish. Established since 1819, the Whiskies from Clynelish were of such a unique flavour that they were only sold to private customers during the last century. The Whisky from the Clynelish distillery is made from water that flows from the hills of Kildonan where legend of gold appearing in streams nearby still exists. It has a full, rounded taste, possessing sweet, honeyed tones balanced with a fruity aroma, with hints of cedar and smoke, leading to a smooth, warm and creamy lingering finish.

Johnnie walker Gold 18 is the Centenary Blend from the House of Walker, originally launched in 1995 based on blending notes penned by Alexander Walker in 1920. Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve is a new blend that showcases some of Master Blender’s favourite Whiskies from his private reserve and will replace 18 year old in some markets.

i've put the bottle in the freezer as rob is coming over to do a vid shortly (and is still on his self-imposed mid-life crisis and not drinking).

Good to know. Thanks KG. Have you sampled it yet? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Established since 1819, the Whiskies from Clynelish were of such a unique flavour that they were only sold to private customers during the last century. The Whisky from the Clynelish distillery is made from water that flows from the hills of Kildonan where legend of gold appearing in streams nearby still exists. It has a full, rounded taste, possessing sweet, honeyed tones balanced with a fruity aroma, with hints of cedar and smoke, leading to a smooth, warm and creamy lingering finish.

these guys really know how to sell their product...

• 3 weeks later...

Im a little perturbed by the notion that the "reserve" will replace the 18 yo in our region.

The genuine JW Gold 18yo is one of the nicest blended whiskys there is imo.

I've checked out the JW website and the "gold reserve" is not even part of their product line.

• 2 weeks later...