Dry box?

I've seen the term "drybox" around and would love to understand whatis meant by this. While I keep my cigars in a coolidoor at 68%rh and 65F constant, I notice when I transfer my weeks cigars into a Xikar travel box, the cigars fom the Xicar smoke better than the ones from the coolidoor. Is this a dry boxing? Thanks.

I've seen the term "drybox" around and would love to understand whatis meant by this. While I keep my cigars in a coolidoor at 68%rh and 65F constant, I notice when I transfer my weeks cigars into a Xikar travel box, the cigars fom the Xicar smoke better than the ones from the coolidoor. Is this a dry boxing? Thanks.

That is exactly what dry boxing is. Its just placing your cigar in a simple old dress box or cab without any humidification device so it dries the cigar out a bit to help with burn issues and/or draw issues. I don't ever need to dry box because i keep my cigars at around 65 humidity but When i need to dry box i usually do it for about 24 hours and that helps.

Before I dropped the humidity in my humi to 62-63ish, I used to experience burn and draw issues. To help rectify the problem, I started to dry box. I would place whatever I wanted to smoke into an empty Opus box. I'd check the cigar over the next day or so and smoke it when I thought it was ready. I made sure to test the draw before I torched it. It did the job, then I realized I could get the same results by lowering the RH in my humis. Now, they're good to go from the get go. ;)

Ah ha! I'm begining to see the subtlties of the art of the cigar. I'll lower the RH for the ones to be enjoyed soon. Very excited. Off to tell the wife about my breakthrough. She will be thoroughly unimpressed. Thanks all.

Thanks LiLo.

Does that mean that ageing cigars is best at the 68-70%rh but that they burn betterwith less blistering and uneveness at a lower rh?

I have a cooler for aging and a cooler for everyday smokes. The everyday smoke cooler is set at 65 humidity and the aging one is set at around 68-69 humidity. I find they age a little better at a higher humidity but smoke much better at a lower. And when i transfer cigars from the aging cooler i let them sit for at least 2 weeks.

Something to keep in mind is that dryboxing only works if the humidity outside your humidor is lower than that within :)

I live in a high humidity climate where the RH is above 70% most of the year. I created a dry box using 50% beads in a 20 ct. desktop. I keep it half full with bulk tobacco (that was packed around cigars in a couple boxes) to help maintain / buffer RH. It's great to open the lid and see my cigars nestled on a bed of tobacco.

What RH do you guys consider adequate for dry boxing?

--- maybe move this thread to the Humidor Tutorial

Interesting thread.

No matter the RH, I find that all cigars benefit from a variable period of dryboxing and climatization to the room's temp.

I keep my cigars to a stable 63-64%, and before smoking I usually drybox them for 12 h (in the room it's usually 55% RH in the winter).

As for aging, IMHO it's actually better to keep cigars at a lower RH (60-65%) as the lower RH slows down the yeast and mold-aging process (which are the factors affecting flavour), so it should be better for long-term aging.

While a higher RH (68-72%) is better for a short-term aging, i.e. for younger cigars which need to get ready for smoking.

just be careful with those cigars - some do not respond well to lower RH - i've had the odd catastrophe when pulling one out of a humidor which has been neglected and dropped to just over 60%, and resulted in a harsh hot-burning smoke. Also a lot more non-cubans don't seem to cope with sub-65%

a lot depends on humidity outdoors (ie where you smoke) as well - i've had the odd wrapper crack after a few hours in ambient high humidity because the sudden rise from a dry box was too much for it.

So dry boxing - definitely do it but always with care!

It's dry boxing if it hasn't just rained or you don't live near the ocean which in Southern California it is quite possible. Still, I think the worst mistake a person makes with his cigars is over humidify them. Some people have there humidors set at 72% or even 74%. Even 70% is too humid. You will have to relight it every 5 puffs, it will taste harsh. I keep mine at about 62% and there are no problems whatsoever.

It's dry boxing if it hasn't just rained or you don't live near the ocean which in Southern California it is quite possible. Still, I think the worst mistake a person makes with his cigars is over humidify them. Some people have there humidors set at 72% or even 74%. Even 70% is too humid. You will have to relight it every 5 puffs, it will taste harsh. I keep mine at about 62% and there are no problems whatsoever.

The worst thing is to let them dry out. Over-humidification can be corrected at least.

I've posted a thread about dry-boxing in the past.

Dry-boxing is routine for me now. At least 12 hours. I have a tat ash tray in my office and I cut a cigar a leave it in there. I leave it open to air, and I keep it out of direct sunlight or air conditioning vents. I too keep a constant rh between 61-65. But after a couple months of dry-boxing and smoking them side by side with non-dry boxed cigars, I prefer the taste and burn of the dry-boxed cigar.

To each his own. Whatever you do, hope you find pleasure in each cigar you smoke.

I have a cooler for aging and a cooler for everyday smokes. The everyday smoke cooler is set at 65 humidity and the aging one is set at around 68-69 humidity. I find they age a little better at a higher humidity but smoke much better at a lower. And when i transfer cigars from the aging cooler i let them sit for at least 2 weeks.

What a great idea!