What Petit Corona can I smoke now?

This question has probably been answered before but with no aging or minimal aging what Petit Coronas can I smoke right now? Right out of the box what is good to smoke now because my experience with Petit Coronas (Juan Lopez, Cohiba, Punch Royal No. 12) have been dreadful when smoked young. Thanks in advance.

This question has probably been answered before but with no aging or minimal aging what Petit Coronas can I smoke right now? Right out of the box what is good to smoke now because my experience with Petit Coronas (Juan Lopez, Cohiba, Punch Royal No. 12) have been dreadful when smoked young. Thanks in advance.

While not a PC, but a TPC - I'd suggest Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas. In my opinion the best out of the box cigar out there, always beautifully constructed and a flavor bomb.

For a straight up PC, you can't overlook the Partagas PC though.

I'm smoking a Bolivar PC right now driving.....it's wonderful..........

post-6210-1264255697.jpeg

Something you said concerns me, you asked what is smoking good right now, right out of the box. Then you mentioned several that you had tried that did not agree with you.

My question is: How much humidor time are you giving your cigars prior to smoking them after arrival?

If you have not given them an absolute minimum of 30 days rest after arrival, then every cigar you smoke is not going to smoke well. Smoking a cigar right off the truck, is a waste of a cigar.

Their is no set time for a cigar to sit you must try them from time to time and see how you like them yourself.

I have had great cigars out of the box and had great ones with nap time the only way to test is to sample one right away .

Cigars are not blended to age (but they can age nicely to ) they are meant to smoke out of the box as most of the world market smoke right away and #'s show it..

We are just a small % that does the 30 day rule are we right maybe but their is no proof of this ? I am just trying to give you another view that may help you down the road giving you two options ..

To me as of late Minuto, Perla,PC,Robusto and Lonsdale's have been smoking great without 30 day nap time...

I do think some brands that make certain sizes that are blended to age and were for the small market of gents who age their cigars but alot if not most have been discontinued because of poor sales overall.And i can see their thinking why wait when i can smoke a cigar out of the box and it tastes great pretty simple choice...

Hope this helps...

Definitely let a newly arrived box rest. Two week minimum & a month would be better. MAR 09 Bolivar PCs are some amazingly good smokes. They won't get much age in my humidor.

Let those new boxes you receive rest 30-45 days prior to smoking and your experience will likely improve. Patient's grasshopper!

Thanks to all for advice. ;) I think the Bolivar's will be purchased in the near future. Tampa, I have let them rest about 2 months before smoking one with all boxes. I have a box of the Royal Seleccion No. 12's with box code PUI MAY 07, my Cohiba Siglo II's have box code TEB OCT 07. Neither has come around yet. The Juan Lopez's were surprisingly the easiest smoke. How much longer do you think they have to go? Thanks again.

We are just a small % that does the 30 day rule are we right maybe but their is no proof of this ?

It would be easy enough to put to the test.

1. Ask Rob to pick two "identical" boxes.

2. Ship box #1.

3. You receive box #1 and put it in storage.

4. Rob waits 30 days then ships box #2.

5. When box #2 arrives, pull a cigar out of each box and smoke 'em.

6. Report back.

It's not that these ideas are inherently untestable. It's simply that most cigar smokers consider the actual work to do so 1) to be more trouble than the information is worth, or 2) that the conclusion is foregone and thus no testing is merited, or 3) there are too many other variables to make any conclusions defensible. So, it's not the science, it's the attitude.

Not picking on you, Jimmy. Just responding to a point you raised.

Wilkey

BTW, perhaps my palate has become less sensitive, but I've found plenty of good smoking cigars ROTT (right off the truck). I think results depend, in part, on the conditions the box has experienced in transit. For example, winter versus summer shipments.

No problem Wilkey but one box could be blended great where the next might not so you really cant judge it.Even with in the same box they are rolled by differant people when sorted and some could be great and some not.All i am saying is their is no real truth to this as these are handmade product and that means its not perfect..

So for me i like to judge a cigar right away most times and will take it from their to keep smoking them or letting them sit for a while.

But if you don't do that you can say 30 or more will make it a better tasting cigar overalli think not but i know their is a big following to this system.

I can see where the cigar is over humidified and than they should sit for a time to adjust to the right amount of humidity i can understand that.

I have tasted thousands of cigar's right out of the box that were excellant and some not to me its a crap shoot....

I usually try one soon after the truck drops them off, and more often than not, they really do seem to taste better after a few weeks. I aint saying the '30day rule' is true, but who am i to mess with what seems to work? I'm just saying.

And yes, there have been a few that the ride half way round the world and back did wonders to.

Their is no set time for a cigar to sit you must try them from time to time and see how you like them yourself.

I have had great cigars out of the box and had great ones with nap time the only way to test is to sample one right away .

Cigars are not blended to age (but they can age nicely to ) they are meant to smoke out of the box as most of the world market smoke right away and #'s show it..

We are just a small % that does the 30 day rule are we right maybe but their is no proof of this ? I am just trying to give you another view that may help you down the road giving you two options ..

To me as of late Minuto, Perla,PC,Robusto and Lonsdale's have been smoking great without 30 day nap time...

I do think some brands that make certain sizes that are blended to age and were for the small market of gents who age their cigars but alot if not most have been discontinued because of poor sales overall.And i can see their thinking why wait when i can smoke a cigar out of the box and it tastes great pretty simple choice...

Hope this helps...

I agree with your post.

I look at the post arrival rest period as something more for those of us for whom acquiring these cigars requires plane, trains, and automobiles.

Just think of the possible climate swings they go through during their travels. The rest time allows new arrivals to stabilize and acclimatize to

personal storage conditions. If that's not really an issue, why bother keeping storage containers with stable environments - i.e. humidors.

Yes there are different climate conditions while cigars are in transit, but not that extreme that it will make your cigar taste off. Its tobacco, and it burns and produces flavor. I feel like some guys are taking it a little to far with the rest periods. I agree that you should let them acclimatize to your humidor so some of the oils are regained, but why so long? Its no an issue to me that will have me question whether or not i should keep my cigars in a humidor, i just keep my cigars in a humidor because boxes stay in there for years... not a week. Its all personal preference, its your cigars.. you do what you want with them. Has anyone really tested this theory, smoked one right out of the box then try one 30 days later? Is there really that big of a difference?

Is there really that big of a difference?

Of course it's all personal preference. There's no way of knowing for sure how much of a difference it makes as it would require knowing that each

and every cigar in a box were exactly the same to begin with. But there are any number of members here - myself included - who've tried it both ways

and have been able to discern a difference. I've read about people drinking first growth bordeaux immediately upon release, but I can't imagine doing

it myself.

And simply for conversation's sake, why keep your boxes in a humidor long term? Is it to provide a stable environment? If so, why? If it's simply tobacco

that burns and produces flavor, and climate conditions don't make much of a difference, why not just stack them up on a shelf somewhere?.....

To add onto what Wilkey suggested. If you really wanted to test it, another test could be to simply take a box you have now (control), and with a few of them simulate shipping, i.e., temperature fluctuations (assumption: vibrations have no impact), and then compare. I do like them many times ROTT, so what do I know.