coolidor too humid

Just a thought... have you calibrated your hygrometer recently? Seems like they can easily be off by 10 points.

nah, i just put in a back up hygrometer. I will see what it reads and go from there.

You can add too much water to the beads and end up above the RH you want to maintain. Have you added boxes to your cooler yet? Salt test your hygrometer to calibrate it and then add your cigars/boxes and wait a couple of days for the RH to stablize. If your readings are still too high, then you will need to dry/air the beads out so they can get to the right RH.

When I add more water to the beads in my cooler, it will take me a couple of days to get the RH right, but once I get the RH/beads right, I won't have to add water for months.

Yeah, maybe overhydrated the beads. I did the same thing when I started mine. I did notice though, just as tsolomon pointed out, that when I added the boxes,and wiped down the beads, humidity stabilized. Haven't had any problems since.

You can add too much water to the beads and end up above the RH you want to maintain. Have you added boxes to your cooler yet? Salt test your hygrometer to calibrate it and then add your cigars/boxes and wait a couple of days for the RH to stablize. If your readings are still too high, then you will need to dry/air the beads out so they can get to the right RH.

When I add more water to the beads in my cooler, it will take me a couple of days to get the RH right, but once I get the RH/beads right, I won't have to add water for months.

I have 4 boxes in the cooler. My analog hygrometer reads 78% and the digital went down to 67% :blink:

I'm salt calibrating my analog hygrometer as we speak.

I could have added too much water, I didn't know how much to add. The beads are damp but there is no water collecting in the pan under the beads.

I have 4 boxes in the cooler. My analog hygrometer reads 78% and the digital went down to 67% :confused:

I'm salt calibrating my analog hygrometer as we speak.

I could have added too much water, I didn't know how much to add. The beads are damp but there is no water collecting in the pan under the beads.

I have tossed all my analog hygros and replaced them with digitals.

Analog hygros are really worthless, they're only value besides being decorative is as a paperweight.

Analog hygros are really worthless, they're only value besides being decorative is as a paperweight.

Exactly. The tobacconist where I bought my digitals called analogs "decoration." He pointed to the relatively large analog in his walk in and said, "See, doesn't it look nice? Look what it reads. But doesn't it look so nice?"

Are analogs accurate enough to verify my digital, cause I don't think I can calibrate my digital one.

Generally not at all, but you don't need to calibrate your digital, just salt test it and mark how far off 75% it is. Check out Wilkey's thorough post of his salt test procedure on this forum, with pictures of the salt/water solution. It's very helpful.

I made my coolidor just before Christmas with two boxes of cigars. Bought some 65 humidity beads and it was working fantastic. I added about 6 more boxes of CC's since then (trip to Cuba was a success) and still no problems. It's winter here so the only thing is I have to re-charge the beads about every three weeks.

Just a note on the hygrometer - analog is worthless, digital (I have three different models) are sketchy at best as each brand gives me a different reading. The most reliable one I have is a Springfield from Home Depot. In any event, I don't think it matters. Just look at the colour of the beads and add distilled water accordingly. The beads in my opinion are the most reliable way to maintain humidity.

Maybe move this thread to the Humidor Tutorial? There is so much useful experience being shared on FOH, but it can be frustrating trying to track down info all over the place. Should I PM a moderator, or what?