Plume on Young Cigars

I received a shipment of cigars back from a family friend today direct from Cuba of the following:

1 Box Cohiba Robustos (SVF OCT08)

2 x 10 Montecristo NO. 2 (OMA OCT09)

Very happy with the CoRo's. Nice almost Colorado Claro wrappers and construction looks perfect. Hopefully better than my last box which was very disapointing. I was sure they were fakes because the taste was so off.

As for the Montecristos, I was suprised that they were so young. However the first box I opened I was suprised to see a large amount of plume on the wrappers already! Attached are a couple of pics of the boxes.

Is this a good thing? I know that plume is a normal part of the aging process but I wasn't aware it could happen this early. Any thoughts?

G

post-5330-1264017899.jpg

post-5330-1264017928.jpg

I received a shipment of cigars back from a family friend today direct from Cuba of the following:

Very happy with the CoRo's. Nice almost Colorado Claro wrappers and construction looks perfect. Hopefully better than my last box which was very disapointing. I was sure they were fakes because the taste was so off.

As for the Montecristos, I was suprised that they were so young. However the first box I opened I was suprised to see a large amount of plume on the wrappers already! Attached are a couple of pics of the boxes.

Is this a good thing? I know that plume is a normal part of the aging process but I wasn't aware it could happen this early. Any thoughts?

G

I don't think this is Plume... These probably have been stored way too moist, this is a kind of mold...

sorry to be the partyspoiler !

Appears to be spots of "white" mold. They were probably stored in a situation that was over humidified for a time. Lucky you as you can simply wipe the mold off and dry out the sticks. Green or Blue mold and the sticks are shot. Lucky you.

That's definitely mold. The easiest way to tell is to see if it wipes off easily. Mold is fuzzy and has spore like structures, which your sticks appear to have (more visible under magnification). The cigars have been stored at too high of a humidity. Luckily, you can get a damp cloth and wipe off the spots. Just keep an eye on them and they should be fine.

Definitely not plume. Sorry...still as mentioned earlier they look salvageable and shoudl smoke fine. Enjoy.

Yep, that is definitely mold. Just wipe it off carefully and they should be good to go. I had a box of psd #4's from 08 that looked like this. I just wiped them off and they smoked fine and the mold never came back.

Well slap my ass and call me Sally!

I guess we are all wrong about somthing from time to time and I guess I was wrong about this one.

Not sure exactly where they came from in Cuba, might have been the airport. I would guess from just simple feel that the are a tad over humified. I opened the second box and they were actually fine which is very odd.

I will wipe them down tonight and sit them down for six months before I spark one in. Thanks to all you FOHers! What ever would I do without this place! Thank God there is nothing on the Coro's! I would be crying right now if there was.

G

Not a problem...just a little mold. (make sure it has not gotten in the foot) Wipe them down, put them in the deep freeze...heck if you want you could isolate them from the rest of your stash for 30-45 days. Let them burn!

I'm waiting for someone to post a box of 'moldy, ruined' cigars at discount on craigslist and

enjoying myself a stash of 'plumie' sticks!

I like topics like this - i know someone out there just learned a little bit more about cigars.

BigFunk - enjoy your smokes! (after they dry out a bit of course.)

Well slap my ass and call me Sally!

I guess we are all wrong about somthing from time to time and I guess I was wrong about this one.

Not sure exactly where they came from in Cuba, might have been the airport. I would guess from just simple feel that the are a tad over humified. I opened the second box and they were actually fine which is very odd.

I will wipe them down tonight and sit them down for six months before I spark one in. Thanks to all you FOHers! What ever would I do without this place! Thank God there is nothing on the Coro's! I would be crying right now if there was.

G

This level of surface mold really isn't a problem if you have the capacity to wipe them down and from then on keep the box in a stable temp (72 F or below) and humidified area.

Most Divans and cigar retailers in Cuba run warmish and humid (80 RH) environments. This is one of the reasons you can come across this.

G

That mold is very harmful. DO NOT SMOKE THEM! Send them to me for proper disposal. You can trust me fellow Pegger! :cowpoop:

Great info.

I just had a very similar mold experience on young Montecristo No.2's. But they also were very dry and brittle. The wrappers were starting to unwrap. Sent them back full refund no questions asked. One or two had some, what appeared to be, mold at the foot. Not sure if I did the right thing but I didn't want to find out latter and also contaminate the humidor.

Great info.

I just had a very similar mold experience on young Montecristo No.2's. But they also were very dry and brittle. The wrappers were starting to unwrap. Sent them back full refund no questions asked. One or two had some, what appeared to be, mold at the foot. Not sure if I did the right thing but I didn't want to find out latter and also contaminate the humidor.

You definitely did the right thing. Nevermind the mold...if you get dried out sticks you should send them back...with the mold...even more so.