FORMULA 1 - 2010

180px-F1_logo.svg.png

Hello to all!

Well another year has commenced and whilst some are dreading the holiday season being almost over, well at least one thing is welcome and that is the new season of Formula 1, one which I believe will be a great season. :thumbsdwn:

So many changes will be evident, new teams, rules and drivers (Michael Schumacher) for one.

Formula One in 2009 had its ups (Brawn GP and Jenson Button's fairytale story) and downs (Crashgate) in 2009 and we've said goodbye to a few people - Kimi Raikkonen, Max Mosley and Flavio Briatore.

Lets hope this season is politics free and we can all enjoy the racing.

Thanks to all who contributed to last years thread (615 posts in all along with 6,250 views) and by all means, please feel free to post your news, opinions etc on this thread. :cap:

Regards,

Michael. :thumbsdwn:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toro Rosso reject Schumacher link

Ralf-Schumacher_2402387.jpg

STR team principal Franz Tost has denied that his team are in talks to sign Ralf Schumacher.

Sebastien Buemi as been confirmed as one of the team's drivers for the 2010 season, but while young Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari claims to have agreed a deal with the team, there has been no official word on who will partner the Swiss driver.

Schumacher's revelation that he was looking to return to Formula One coupled with his long history with Tost - the pair worked together at Williams and Tost managed Ralf in his early days as a racer - and reported friendship with owner Dietrich Mateschitz led to speculation that the 34-year-old could join the Faenza-based outfit.

However, Tost has rubbished reports that he is in talks with the German.

"I know nothing about it, and that's that. There's nothing to it," Tost told Auto Motor und Sport.

"As far as I am concerned, it's nonsense," he added.

MIKA: I had my hopes up for this news to be true and if Tost denies that this is accurate, then its a darn shame as it would have been great to see Ralph back in an F1 racer.

Sauber to reveal second driver next week

d09esp1373_2390157.jpg

Sauber will finalise their driver pairing next week, according to team owner Peter Sauber.

Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi, who turned out for Toyota in the final two races of the 2009 season, has already been confirmed as one of the Hinwl-based team's drivers, but the identity of his team-mate remains a mystery.

Nick Heidfeld, Pedro de la Rosa and rookie Bertrand Baguette are believed to be in the running for the seat, but all will be revealed early in the new year.

"Second driver to be announced next week. The team is ready to work. Happy New Year." announced Peter Sauber on his Twitter page.

Once Sauber have confirmed their pairing, the only vacancies on the 2010 grid will be at USF1, Campos Meta, Renault and Toro Rosso.

Mercedes aiming for top-three finish

Nick-Fry-New_2352045.jpg

Mercedes GP have set their sights on a top-three finish in the 2010 Constructors' Championship.

The team won last year's Drivers' and Constructors' Championships under the banner of Brawn GP and many believe they will be thereabouts again this year following the signing of Michael Schumacher.

Chief executive Nick Fry, though, says a top-three finish is a realistic target, especially with Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull expected to be on song.

"I think for 2010 we have to aim for a top three place in the Constructors' Championship and of course we need to win races," Fry told GP Update.

"It's very difficult to go beyond that because we don't know at this stage what our competition will do.

"I think Ferrari will be very strong, I think McLaren-Mercedes will also be very strong, maybe Red Bull with Sebastian (Vettel) again, so until we can see where they have developed their cars we won't know exactly where we are but if we're not in the top three I think we're all going to be extremely disappointed."

Fry also believes Schumacher's return to Formula One is not only good for Mercedes, but for all of F1.

"We really think Michael will take us to the next step," he said. "We were good enough to win the Championship this year [2009], but we want to do it again in the future and we really think Michael can do us help do that.

"I think the first thing Michael brings to our team is great experience. For someone who has won seven World Championships they just have a huge amount of knowledge with a great team like Ferrari and I'm sure he will help us to achieve similar things.

"All of Formula One wants Michael back. So many of the other team principals and team owners have spoken to us in the last few weeks and said 'we really hope that Michael comes back and joins your team' because it's not just good for our team, but it's good for all the F1 teams, it's good for the sport and I think it will help us build more and more fans around the world."

Renault set realistic target for 2010 season

Bob-Bell_2364957.jpg

Renault plan to use the 2010 season to rebuild the team before launching an assault on the Championship in 2011.

The French manufacturer is coming off a terrible 2009 campaign. They emerged from Crashgate with their reputation severely damaged and lost team principal Flavio Briatore and technical director Pat Symonds in the process.

Things didn't go much better on the track. They finished eighth in the Constructors' Championship - or third from bottom if you like - while Fernando Alonso departed to Ferrari at the conclusion of the season.

Acting team principal Bob Bell says the team know they won't be able to challenge for top honours this year.

"The real target for us is to build for 2011 and a Championship campaign," Bell told Autosport. "But we have realistic expectations for 2010.

"We are not going to produce a car that catapults us to the front because F1 is very competitive. But our 2010 expectations are to run towards the front and challenge for the top three."

There were major concerns over the team's future at the back end of the 2009 season, but the French manufacturer committed to the sport and sold a big stake in the team to Genii Capital.

Bell insists there is a renewed optimism in the squad following the deal.

"This is nothing but positive for the team," Bell added. "It has ended all of the concerns that the staff had and gives a secure base for the future.

"There is a multi-year commitment and a very sensible strategy. It's a win-win situation for both Renault and its partners, and is a big step forward."

Davidson: If I had 5m euros I'd be in Formula One

Anthony-Davidson_2403047.jpg

Although it has been more than 20 months since his last grand prix, Anthony Davidson is refusing to give up hope of driving a Formula One car.

Davidson's F1 career came to an abrupt end in April 2008 when Super Aguri decided to pull out of the sport due to financial difficulties.

The Briton, who is currently working as a pundit, has been searching for a new team ever since, but he admits it's a struggle as teams are only prepared to take on drivers with a lot of cash.

"The money is an issue today as it always has been," Davidson told Crash.net Radio. "It's always been a rich man's sport, but it's more so now than ever before. I've been told by a few teams already that if I had 5 million euros I'd be in, so I checked and I couldn't find it; I looked down the back of the sofa, looked in my wallet, a few moths flew out but that was it - and on a serious note that's the position I'm in.

"With a lot of the bigger teams pulling out and only two main manufacturers left, it's difficult times and they're all looking for money, unfortunately. There's no other way you can look at it apart from looking at different sports, and it is the equivalent of Manchester United having a paying football player to play on their side - it just wouldn't happen. That's what's happening in F1 at the moment.

"I know I've got the skill to be there, I deserve to be there but so do loads of other people; loads of other drivers have got the talent, but it's finding your way into Formula 1 and maintaining that momentum. Unfortunately, since Super Aguri folded last year - it seems like longer ago, but it was just the middle of last year - it's been a struggle to get back in.

"I've done my reserve driving duties and test driving duties for Honda and Brawn - and it's been good to be involved with a World Championship-winning team - but you want to be out there driving properly. If it's not Formula 1 it will have to be something else, but I feel that it's still unfinished business so I'm really keen to get back."

A new thread there's a good idea seen as this is a large one 09 (that is).

Really looking forward to a really good and exciting season (no politics),and should look good on the new T.V :D

The only down side is that channel ten still have the broadcast rights here in OZ :angry: AH well you cannot have it all :lol:

Don't forget anyone that has a opinion feel free to chime in

cheers Oz :cigar:

Piquet unlikely to drive for Campos

nelson-piquet_2338373.jpg

Nelson Piquet Jr's hopes of returning to Formula One this year with Campos Meta appear to be very slim.

Spanish-based outfit Campos are yet to name a partner for Bruno Senna for their debut season and Piquet has been strongly linked with the team.

Daniele Audetto, general manager of Campos, has confirmed that they've held talks with Piquet, but says it is unlikely that they will employ two Brazilians.

"We did receive an offer from Piquet," Audetto told La Stampa, "and Adrian [Campos] analysed that offer. We have nothing against Nelsinho, even if he was involved in the race fixing scandal. He is an excellent driver who is quick and has experience. But having already signed Bruno Senna, we can not have two Brazilians."

There had been talk that former World Champion Nelson Piquet Sr could buy a 15 per cent stake in the team Campos team which could result in his son getting the race seat.

Audetto, though, says other drivers could bring a lot more to the team.

"The proposed 15 per cent investment would have been inferior to what other drivers could bring, with Italian, Russian, Chinese and German drivers all interested to name a few nationalities.

"Of course there are negotiations ongoing which will continue until all of the details are confirmed."

Fans get sneak peak of Button in McLaren gear

Jenson-Button_2403116.jpg

McLaren fans have been given a sneak peak of new signing Jenson Button donning the team's official colours.

Button's joined the Woking-based outfit in November, but the team had to wait to show him off as his contract with Brawn GP only expired on December 31.

With that date now passed, the team released the first image of Button in McLaren gear on January 1 on their twitter feed page. They also posted a New Year's message from the Englishman on their website.

In the 13-second video Button says: "Hi everyone. Happy New Year. It is a real pleasure to be part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team and I am looking forward to working with you all in 2010."

Toro Rosso needs 'good second driver' - Berger

gerhard_berger_1812.jpg

Former co-owner and boss Gerhard Berger has advised Toro Rosso to look for a new teammate for Sebastien Buemi.

The Faenza based team has confirmed the Swiss youngster for 2010, but although the Spanish rookie is expected to secure the second seat, Jamie Alguersuari is yet to have his own extended contract officially announced.

Berger, formerly also a ten-time grand prix winner with prestige teams including Ferrari and McLaren, said the selection of Buemi's teammate this year is crucial.

"The possibility of great success with this team does exist," 50-year-old Berger, a close friend of team owner Dietrich Mateschitz, said in an interview with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"We showed that (potential) in 2008 with Vettel. It depends on the drivers," Berger added. "Buemi is a talent, but Toro Rosso needs a good second driver, otherwise they could trip up."

Mercedes drivers to get equal test time

mercedes_mockup_0912.jpg

The pre-season test days scheduled by Mercedes GP will be split evenly between the team's race drivers, Norbert Haug has confirmed.

Germany's Bild newspaper revealed that Michael Schumacher, who turned 41 on Sunday, will drive at four separate winter tests prior to his grand prix return in mid March.

They will take place as follows:

February 1-3 in Valencia

February 10-13 in Jerez

February 17-20 in Jerez

February 25 to 28 in Barcelona

Mercedes' competition director Haug denied that seven time world champion Schumacher will enjoy the bulk of the 15 test days.

"No. I think it (the testing) will be divided fairly between both the drivers," he said, also referring to the German's 2010 teammate Nico Rosberg.

MIKA: I really hope Nico doesn't turn into a Fernando Alonso and make a big deal about 'Who is the teams favourite driver.' Any team that has Michael Schumacher will ensure he is looked after and I have no doubt the team will do their best to treat Nico fairly. However, with a WC like MS who is also well known to build the team around him, Nico needs to ensure he is a team player and gives his driver input with his mechanics.

MS may be a WC who has won so many titles, records, accolades, but he is also renowned as a great people person with charisma and dedication to his teams mechanics. Nico would be wise to follow suit if he wishes to be treated with equality. :cigar:

Sauber to keep BMW in team name for now

BMW-Sauber%20nosecone%20logo.jpg

Peter Sauber has "not decided" when an application to change the name of his Hinwil based Formula One team will be made.

In the wake of BMW's withdrawal and the collapse of the Qadbak buyout, the 66-year-old Swiss stepped in to rescue the team he founded in the early 90s.

But in conversation with the Swiss weekly NZZ am Sonntag, Sauber revealed that formalising a new name for the team is "one of my smallest problems".

"The team is currently called BMW Sauber F1 Team, because we registered ourselves as such with the FIA, and that's how we will line up.

"It is not decided at present when we will submit an application for a change of the name," Sauber, whose 2010 car will use a Ferrari powertrain, added.

He also admitted to disappointment that, after 15 years with Petronas, the Malaysian company decided to switch its sponsorship to Mercedes for 2010 and beyond.

"We knew that Petronas wanted to be with an automobile manufacturer," said Sauber. "I am disappointed but not surprised.

"It has no direct impact on the budget for 2010, but of course it hurts. More money is always better, although of course we will try to have a title sponsor," he added.

Lauda not betting on eighth Schumacher title

schumi_back.jpg

Niki Lauda believes Michael Schumacher will be competitive in 2010, but he's not prepared to bet on it.

The 60-year-old returned successfully from retirement in the 80s to win the last of his three titles, and thinks Schumacher will also be back on the pace after a three-season break.

But in Bild newspaper, Lauda warned: "Everything depends on the car, and at the end of last season Vettel had the best one. What is for sure is that there are many more strong drivers in the field now than in Schumacher's last years.

"There's no question he can keep up. But I'm betting no money," added the Austrian.

Schumacher turns 41 at the weekend, and although Bernie Ecclestone is delighted F1's most successful driver is back, he told Bild he tips Germany's young gun Sebastian Vettel for the 2010 title.

"Of course Schumacher can claim an eighth world title," the F1 chief executive insisted, "but five other drivers can target this title. In the end it will come to the one with the best car."

Peter Windsor, sporting director of the new American team USF1, admits it is possible Schumacher has lost some of his speed.

"Even if Michael proves slightly slower than today's young guns - and that's a big 'if' - none of us should underestimate his motivation and managerial genius," said the Briton.

MIKA: Being a great driver and having a great car to match is only 2/3 of the task. What Lauda forgets is that Michael Schumacher and Ron Dennis are back and Ron Dennis is a mastermind when it comes to tactics on the field. Each world Championship MS has won has been with Ron Dennis so this in turn is perfect for a possible 8th title.

RBR have a great Adrian Newey designed racer and no doubt Vettel will do well and will challenge for the WC. What people forget is that Mercedes have a great racer also with a great driver behind the wheel. I would say a complete package.

F1 designers call for track changes

54774_2.jpg

Two of Formula 1’s leading car designers believe radical changes to circuit layouts are needed to spice up the show.

Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey and his Williams counterpart Sam Michael agree that the major rule changes instituted in 2009 yielded disappointing results, but feel circuit rather than chassis design is the key to improving the spectacle.

“Fundamentally, I think the circuits are probably the biggest influence,” Newey told Racecar Engineering magazine.

“Everybody keeps conveniently forgetting about that, as it is deemed to be easier to change the cars than change the circuits.”

Michael reckons the switch to slick tyres and lower aerodynamic downforce in ’09 had some positive effects, and says the disparity in the amount of overtaking at different circuits highlighted the nature of the problem.

“One thing that hasn’t really been addressed at all so far is circuit design,” he said.

“You’ve got to ask yourself, why do you go to a race such as Barcelona where no one overtakes, and then take exactly the same cars to Monza, Montreal or Hockenheim and you get lots of overtaking.

“Those cars are exactly the same aerodynamically, yet on one circuit they overtake a lot and on another circuit they don’t overtake at all.

“It’s because of the circuit layout – it’s because when they lay out circuits they don’t look closely enough at the combination of slow-speed corners onto straights followed by slow-speed corners.

“This is something that the FIA are dealing with now and having a really strong look at.

“If you look at somewhere like Abu Dhabi, which was a brand new circuit, there are some very good aspects to that circuit, but because there were some pretty fundamental mistakes there, they need to change them before next year."

45555_1.jpg

"There’s no point being sensitive about it – ultimately there wasn’t good enough racing in Abu Dhabi, and Formula 1 has to look at itself and ask why.

“You can’t keep putting all of it on the car design all of the time.

“Of course the car design has some responsibility for it, but if you went to every circuit and you never saw any overtaking, then you could blame it all on the car design.

“But clearly that’s not the case, because there are places where cars do overtake.

“So clearly this needs a pretty thorough look at. It’s something the FIA have taken charge of now, so hopefully we’ll see some good come out of it.”

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh concurs that much more attention needs to be focused on circuit design.

“You only need to do simple statistical analysis and look at where the overtaking moves are,” he told F1 Racing.

“If, say, we race on 18 circuits with 350 corners, then 90 per cent of overtaking moves in a year would happen at just 10 corners.

“You also have to look at the preceding corner.

“The fact that overtaking is focused on such a small number of corners clearly demonstrates that it’s circuit-dependent.”

The FIA recently hosted a seminar to investigate how to increase overtaking in F1 – attended by the sport’s dominant circuit designer Hermann Tilke, seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher and veteran Penske and G-Force designer Nigel Bennett – but few major changes are expected to be implemented for the 2010 season.

MIKA: Some food for thought I say..... It would be great if some of the circuits could be redesigned to include and encourage more overtaking. :cigar:

2010 F1 calendar

44902_2.jpg

2010 Formula 1 calendar

14 March - Bahrain

28 March - Australia

4 April - Malaysia

18 April - China

9 May - Spain

16 May - Monaco

30 May - Turkey

13 June - Canada

27 June - Europe (Valencia)

11 July - Great Britain

25 July - Germany

1 August - Hungary

29 August - Belgium

12 September - Italy

26 September - Singapore

10 October - Japan

24 October - Korea*

7 November - Brazil

14 November - Abu Dhabi

*Subject to the homologation of the circuit.

Note: The races in Australia and Abu Dhabi will start at 1700 local time, in Malaysia at 1600 local time, in Canada at 1200 local time, in Singapore at 2000 local time, and in Japan at 1500 local time.

Kubica sticks with Renault

Kubicadifferent_2370192.jpg

Robert Kubica will race for Renault in 2010, his manager has confirmed.

The Pole's future with Renault had been uncertain following the French manufacturer's decision to sell a majority share in the team to Genii Capital investment company, which is spearheaded by businessman Gerard Lopez.

Following Genii's acquisition of the team, Kubica's manager, Daniel Morelli, said that the driver needs 'more information' before he committed himself to the team, a position that has now been resolved.

"We are going in the right direction," Morelli told the BBC.

"There were no doubts, really, but it was very important we understood who were in the key roles in the team and of course also the budget - it is fundamental you have that for the updates to the car," he added.

Morelli denied that the delay in the 25-year-old's signing was related to reported requests for an increased salary.

"It is totally untrue that we were asking for more money," said Morelli.

"It is not in our interests to take advantage. We want the money for the team.

"Robert wants a performing car. It's useless if the driver gets more money if you have a weak car and lose (performance) bonuses. It's better to score points and make podiums than to earn more money."

Kubica's team-mate at the Enstone-based outfit has yet to be confirmed.

MIKA: About time they confirmed this news. :(

De la Rosa set for Sauber spot?

Pedro-de-la-Rosa_2346082.jpg

Pedro de la Rosa will join Kamui Kobayashi at Sauber according to reports in the Swiss press.

There has been much speculation regarding the identity of the Japanese driver's team-mate, with Christian Klein, de la Rosa, Nick Heidfeld and Bertrand Baguette all linked with the position. However, it appears that the Spaniard has beaten the rest to the punch.

According to Swiss newspaper Blick, which has close ties to the Swiss-based outfit, the news will be announced soon, baring "an earthquake in Hinwil".

De la Rosa, who as previously turned out for Arrorws and Jaguar, has held the position of McLaren test driver since 2003, a period that included a brief run in the race seat following Juan Pablo Montoya's departure from the team midway through the 2006 season.

Speaking to NZZ am Sonntag regarding his team's second driver, Peter Sauber revealed that "an experienced man" with "new knowledge for the team" had been signed to partner Kobayashi, but ruled Nick Heidfeld out of the running.

However, according to reports in the Spanish newspaper Diario Sport, De la Rosa has denied that a deal has been signed.

Sauber admitted that he had not yet decided when he would look to officially drop the BMW name from his operation, as it was not a priority at the moment.

"[it's] currently called BMW Sauber F1 Team, because we registered ourselves as such with the FIA, and that's how we will line up. It is not decided at present when we will submit an application for a change of the name," he explained.

You know, I don't follow much of this stuff. But while the thread was young I wanted to step in and say congratulations for starting one of the most popular series threads on the board. No matter when I look, this thread is almost always on the front page. For that reason I think that your posting of it and keeping it alive with so many followers deserves a round of applause! Here is to another sucessful year of your F1 thread.

:cap:

Good show! - Piggy

Thank you for your very kind words "Piggy"

This thread has done a lot better than either myself or Mika had anticipated,Michael is the real workhorse on this thread(don't know where he finds the time :cowpoop: ).

This thread has been created for any body who has the passion for F-1 racing ,the pinnacle of automotive motor sport/technology.

It seems quite fitting that it is also on the site of an equal passion that is Cuban Cigars.. :D

This thread is nearly as famous as the Piggy's guide to all things electric humidors :football: ,I have read all of your guides and this week have decided to take the plunge on a Vintec 30 bottle cooler ,and we will see how i fare (cannot be any worse than my humble 200 count Siglo) they say the spice of life is variety something you just cannot do when you have limited space, plus will be good for aging.

Thanks once again for your kind words will make a F-1 fan out of you yet ;)

Cheers Ray

Oz /Mika :cowpoop:

Bernie Ecclestone in bid for Saab

post-5203-1263174987.jpg

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is part of a bid to buy struggling Swedish carmaker Saab.

Mr Ecclestone has joined forces with Luxembourg-based private investment company Genii Capital, which recently invested in Renault's F1 team.

Loss-making Saab has been put up for sale by its current owner, US giant General Motors (GM).

A second offer for Saab has also emerged from the Dutch sports carmaker Spyker.

Swedish newspaper Dagens Industri has also reported that GM has received a third bid from a Swedish consortium.

This group is said to include Haakon Samuelsson, a former executive with lorry firms MAN and Scania, and Jan Nygren, a former politician and one-time executive with the Saab aerospace company.

'Tremendous' value

Mr Ecclestone told the Bloomberg news agency: "[saab] is a good brand that has probably been neglected by the current owners."

ANALYSIS

By Jorn Madslien, BBC News

There are three bids on the table, yet the future looks as uncertain as ever for Saab's 3,400 workers.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone's involvement suggests there is still value in the brand, but that is not to say any of the prospective buyers would retain the whole workforce.

There is little technology left in Trollhaettan that is owned outright by Saab itself. Saab engine, gearbox and tooling technology was recently sold to Beijing Automotive.

Hence, any buyer would need to strike a technology-sharing deal with GM to keep the Swedish operation going.

And Saab under new ownership would almost certainly be a low-volume carmaker.

"We don't own it yet, so let's see what happens," he added.

Genii said that it would "aggressively work towards a successful closing of the transaction with all the relevant stakeholders of the company".

It added that Saab has "tremendous brand value in a number of key automotive markets, as well as an innovative image".

Spyker's bid for Saab is its second, having previously made an unsuccessful approach on 20 December, two days after GM said it would close down the Swedish company if no suitable sale could be agreed.

Victor Muller, the chief executive of Spyker, said: "We believe the Saab brand has lots of potential and would be keen to close a deal as quickly as possible."

Mr Muller, whose company has a workforce of only 133 people, added that he was continuing to have a "constructive dialogue" with GM bosses.

No details have been revealed about how much either Spyker or Genii and Mr Ecclestone are offering for Saab.

Protracted sale

GM has been trying to sell Saab since January last year.

In June, GM announced that it had agreed to sell it to sports carmaker Koenigsegg, only for the Swedish company to pull out of the deal in November.

Saab, which employs 3,400 people in Sweden, lost 3bn kronor (£255m; $412m) in 2008, and it has not made a profit since 2001.

A meeting of Saab board members will take place on Friday.

The company is due to resume production on 11 January following a four-week shutdown for the Christmas and new year period.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/8447365.stm

Published: 2010/01/08 09:25:57 GMT

© BBC MMX

While never been a fan of Saab they do make safe cars, if their sales are lacking in my opinion they need to concentrate on how there cars look ,hey Volvo have turned the corner :cowpoop:

Cheers Oz :football:

Schu impressed by Mercedes hunger

post-5203-1263175191.jpg

Michael Schumacher says he has been delighted to find that Mercedes GP remains hungry for success and is not resting on its laurels after winning both world titles last year.

After spending two days at the team’s Northamptonshire base this week, the seven-time champion was buoyed by the vibe he picked up.

“I have been in the factory in Brackley now for two days and spent the time to get to know the engineers and the structures a bit better, and I am extremely positively surprised about how motivated everybody is,” he wrote on his website.

“This is a world champion team but it does not seem to be spoilt by success at all; it seems to be hungry for more instead!”

Schumacher, whose team-building skills and ability to motivate staff were a key part of his success at Benetton and Ferrari, said his visit had given him a clearer insight into his new squad’s working methods.

“It is important for me to be informed about everything and it was very interesting to get to understand the engineers and their structures and the way they work,” he said.

“I was there already around the time that I signed the contract and learned a lot; now I have seen much more about the team.”

Schumacher was equally impressed by the Mercedes engine facility at Brixworth and admitted he was enjoying working with a German organisation after spending his F1 career to date with British and Italian outfits.

“The people there seem to be highly motivated as well and I find that encouraging, as it perfectly fits my personal mood,” he said.

“What I also liked was that you hear a lot of people speaking German there. That is nice for once – I am not so much used to that at my work, and I find it quite convenient.”

OZ I think there are good things ahead for the Brawn/Mercedes team the old firm is back together again

I agree Bart just love Montreal track one of the classics

Cheers oz :football:

Mansell: Age no barrier for Schumi

post-5203-1263175557.jpg

Nigel Mansell does not think Michael Schumacher's age will cause him any problems at all when he returns to Formula 1 this season following a three-year absence.

Having just turned 41, Schumacher is the oldest driver on the 2010 grid by four years over record-breaking veteran Rubens Barrichello.

But having won his world championship just after his 39th birthday and raced in F1 until he was nearly 42, Mansell reckons age is no barrier to winning in F1.

"I don't think age will be a problem," Mansell told Autosport magazine.

"Don't forget I was knocking on 40 when I won the world championship in 1992 and I would have been good for a few more years, it was just that the politics beat me up too much."

Mansell is confident that Schumacher's comeback will be a great success - largely because he will be reunited with Ross Brawn at Mercedes.

"He has been presented with a wonderful opportunity: he's back with Ross Brawn and with the team that has just won both the drivers' and constructors' championships," said Mansell.

"If the package is right, there will be no problems with motivation.

"Ross is such a brilliant guy that I'm sure Michael will have one of the best cars.

"If things go a little wrong, there can be commitment issues, but I don't see that happening with Michael.

"He's in a win-win situation and it's good for Formula 1."

Oz I think Nigel is right on the money with this one,and not just because he was one of my childhood heros

Lotus aims to close on midfield quickly

post-5203-1263175919.jpg

Lotus technical director Mike Gascoyne is hopeful the new team will be able to start challenging the bottom wrung of the grid’s established outfits by the start of the European season in Spain in May.

The Norfolk-based squad, which is reviving the Lotus name in F1 after a 16-year absence and is backed by a consortium of Malaysian businessmen, has already set its sights on being the leading newcomer when the 2010 season kicks off in Bahrain in March.

Gascoyne is optimistic that, once the opening four flyaway rounds are completed, Lotus will then be able to get into the mix with the midfield teams, with a big car update already pencilled in for the Spanish Grand Prix.

“We have said we are aiming to be ahead of the new teams when we all reach Bahrain, but we would also like to be pretty close to the midfield teams after the first few races of the season,” he told the team’s official website.

“The update we have planned for Spain will see a boost in performance when we reach Barcelona which will give us the chance to start fighting with the slowest of the established teams which, given progress so far, has to be the next goal for us.”

With pre-season testing finally permitted to begin in Valencia in just over three weeks’ time, Gascoyne has confirmed that Lotus is set to join the group testing fray for the first time at Jerez in mid-February.

The Englishman says that such has been the speed of work at its factory since the team was handed the final place on the 2010 grid in September it is one week ahead of its original design schedule.

“We had been looking at firing up our engine for the first time on 12th February, but with the efforts everyone’s been putting in we have now been able to bring that forward to 5th February,” Gascoyne said.

“This is obviously a great boost for everyone involved in the team, and shows how much hard work has already gone in since we had our entry confirmed on September 12th.

“With the engine fire up date now in the diary, we are also in a position to confirm that we will be on track for the first time at the third official test at Jerez from 17th February, and then at Barcelona from 25th February. We are also aiming to run chassis two for the last two days of that Barcelona test.”

OZ As with all the new teams there success or failure will be measured by time,F-1 is not a place for the faint hearted,and is not as easy as it may appear from the outside many a major car manufacturer can attest to that. :football: