Picture Review: Montecristo Sublime EL 2008

I was compelled to do a review due to The Prez's generous offer for the drawing of a SLR Pacificos despite the somber weather outside today (see pic below). I decided to go with the Monte Sublime that I've had for about a year. The last one I smoked was November of last year, which was still very young and finished with strong mintiness that I did not like very much. So here I go...

Appearance: 8/10 - This cigar looks great. The wrapper is not very oily, but toothy. The weight feels a bit light for a big cigar like this. Squeezing the foot shows that this cigar is not very tightly rolled so it definitely won't have a tight draw; I just hope it is not under-packed.

Burn/Draw: 5/10 - Prelight draw is on the loose side, but not a wind tunnel. I think it will tighten up as I smoke. After about an inch, the cigar begins to canoe. Despite a few relights, the burn just refuses to cooperate. As the cigar burns, it becomes apparent that this cigar is very under-packed (see pic below as the head becomes flat), and the draw does not tighten up as expected.

Taste: 6/10 - The aroma is strong inside the box. Prelight aroma is also very promising. First few draws have some spiciness and rich toasted tobacco. The cigar does not develop very much due to burn issues.

Overall: 6/10 - Overall, it's tough to put a score on this one since it's hard to concentrate on the taste when I spent much of my attention correcting the burn. The fact this cigar is under-filled adds to the low score. I do notice less minty tastes which is a sign that the box is still going through growing pains. My other picture review was a Partagas 898V that didn't meet expectations, maybe my next review will be a winner. :cigar:

wet weather :)

4169719939_fe686c636b_b.jpg

4170479400_b03913d174_b.jpg

4170478200_fddf467728_b.jpg

4170477020_53d321bc35_b.jpg

4169715471_3ec6bfa2cf_b.jpg

4169713573_c55da39cdb_b.jpg

4169712409_6d7d82fdb6_b.jpg

4169711337_bfd31b11a8_b.jpg

4169710203_4f802ef709_b.jpg

4170469236_026486fdb8_b.jpg

4170466984_5cda56d4a4_b.jpg

As you can see, this cigar is under-filled, leading to a flattened head:

4169707907_49c121d8ae_b.jpg

At least the bands came off clean!

4169705635_102f4e927b_b.jpg

Sorry to hear about the construction issues

Bart

Yeah, me too. You'd figure Edicion Limitadas should have great quality control, rolled by the more experienced torcedors. :2thumbs:

I seriously think they could've rolled a Magnum 50 (4mm shorter, 4 rings thinner) with the amount of tobacco in this Sublime.

I went back to check the construction on the remaining cigars in the box. They are all underfilled! When squeezing the foot, the cigar will give up to 5mms! I don't think that's normal. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.

Yeah, me too. You'd figure Edicion Limitadas should have great quality control, rolled by the more experienced torcedors. :2thumbs:

I seriously think they could've rolled a Magnum 50 (4mm shorter, 4 rings thinner) with the amount of tobacco in this Sublime.

I went back to check the construction on the remaining cigars in the box. They are all underfilled! When squeezing the foot, the cigar will give up to 5mms! I don't think that's normal. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.

Just curious, you punch every cigar or do you cut some as well?

Bart

Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear about the construction issues in your box. I have to say that I love the Monte Sublimes. One of my favorite cigars. While it was not the first Cuban cigar I ever bought, it was the first box of Cuban cigars I ever bought. Hopefully you're next box will be better.

Awesome review and pics. I've never seen a cuban band come off that clean before lol.

That's weird about the band. The band slides off fairly easily on just about every Cuban cigar I have smoked. That is one of the things I like about them over the NCs and DRs where I have to tear the band off and manytimes some of the wrapper with it.

That is likely very true.

Chenman...I found out that if you don't buy or smoke nc's u don't have to worry about the dam band tearin the wrapper

I have a box of these from Nov 08. I was disappointed with the first one I smoked but I torched one on a drive home from Portland recently, and found it to be great!

I would review it, but I'm no good at descriptions....(I don't know what grass, hay, leather, or earth tastes like to compare to).

Yeah, the one two Sublimes I smoked were EXTREMELY underfilled as well. I have heard the same thing from other people as well. The fact that it was underfilled caused the smoke to be hotter and harsher than it should have been. I think it would have had some potential if it was rolled right. IMHO

Thanks for the review

Yeah, the one two Sublimes I smoked were EXTREMELY underfilled as well. I have heard the same thing from other people as well. The fact that it was underfilled caused the smoke to be hotter and harsher than it should have been. I think it would have had some potential if it was rolled right. IMHO

Thanks for the review

I've smoked many of the Monte Sublimes...never had an issue other than occassionally uneven burn in the last third. One of my favorite cigars.