Preparing the Palate

I have noticed that cigars are more enjoyable if I eat a handful of roasted pecans right before lighting up. Does anyone else have a pre-light drink or treat that they think helps to bring out the flavors in cigars?

Water. I always crush a ton of water before lighting up. Helps clear the palate for me and not leave behind anything that will influence the flavors

How do you crush a ton of water? thinking.gif Water is incompressible! tongue.png

• Like 1

Seems silly maybe but I like crisp apple juice or cider in the absence of alcohol In its many forms. I feel it helps liven up my tastes some? I often wonder why?

• Like 2

What would be interesting is to find flavors that cancel out the huge tobacco backbone that all the other flavors come on. I think high alcohol content (so spirits rather than wine) does this to some degree. A cask strength bourbon, whiskey or vodka cocktail really seems to help me experience the subtle flavors in a cigar. party.gif

I remember hearing that sparkling water was ideal for cleansing the palate. I've tried it a couple of times, but couldn't really say how much of a difference it made.

Most of the time I don't bother with anything to prepare for the cigar, short of pouring a glass of whatever I feel like drinking with it.

Nothing. There is nothing worse than overthinking a cigar. Just sit and smoke.

This.

There is a flood of posts and topics lately of over-analyzing and over-thinking everything related to cigar smoking.

I can't wait for the next thread "What do you wear to smoke" :rolleyes:

• Like 4

This.

There is a flood of posts and topics lately of over-analyzing and over-thinking everything related to cigar smoking.

I can't wait for the next thread "What do you wear to smoke" rolleyes.gif

You . . . wear something when you smoke?lookaround.gif

• Like 2

I don't do anything to prepare my palate, other than maybe a little extra water if I've just eaten a spicy meal. I typically just light up. I gave up alcohol long ago, but I do enjoy a sugary soda (Sprite, root beer, Dr Pepper) with a cigar from time to time. It's actually the only time I'll drink soda. I find the carbonation tends to have a bit of a cleansing effect on the palate. The sweetness and spices of the drink can often bring out flavors in the cigar. Other times I'm sure the drink masks flavors. I don't put too much thought into it to be honest.

Cigar smoking for me is a time of reflection; an hour or two where I am left alone with my thoughts. I think about a great many things during these times. And sometimes I turn my thoughts toward the cigar itself. As I originally posted, a handful of pecans beforehand helps me enjoy my cigars more. And others have chimed in with similar tricks.

I respect the opinions of others, but I didn't find the overthinking comments helpful. Just like others, I have an opinion of my own. Personally, I feel that underthinking is overrated.

• Like 1

I don't do anything to prepare the palate, but when pairing I like apple/grape juice (like someone else mentioned), rum, bourbon, scotch or beer, and sometimes a root beer or diet Dr. Pepper.

I have also been told by a couple of my regular customers at the cigar shop I work at that a shot of Vodka will cleanse your palate....I have not tried this yet, but I plan on it.......can anyone confirm?

I really don't do anything to "cleanse" or prepare my palate....but I have found what seems to pair well with smoking:

I'll usually have a small bag of cashews that i'll munch on a bit, with some lipton unsweetened pure leaf iced tea and/or a cup of coffee. Both tend to bring out good flavors....at least for me.

Then I break out the bourbon....usually Woodford Reserve, as i've found it pairs very well with many cubans that I smoke. So does Larceny. I prefer Blantons as my go to bourbon as a whole, but sometimes I find it a bit too sweet and smooth to pair well with cubans.