Who can partake in a little Freezing Test?

1. Pick 2 cigars from same box (ie Monte 4's). Ensure they have similar construction.

2. Friday 20th, put one in a ziplock bag roll it up, tape it down and into the freezer.

3. Monday 23rd. Take out frozen cigar from freezer and place in fridge.

4. Mon - Sunday 29th, Review your non frozen cigar.

5. Tuesday, Take out cigar from fridge and place on bench.

6. Wednesday, Take cigar from bench and place in humidor.

7. Mon-Sunday 5th of June, Review your once frozen cigar and compare.

What differences do you note? :stir:

If you would like to partake in this experiment please register on this thread. Keep on mind the timelines and give some thought to the two cigars you will slect (they must be the same form the same box with similar construction/characteristics)

I will start a new thread for the first cigar review Friday

Cheers!

5. Tuesday, Take out cigar from fridge and place on bench.

6. Wednesday, Take cigar from bench and place in humidor.

I don't have a bench. Can I just set it aside and smoke it later?

I will partake as this topic has been of interest to me for some time. But why are the two tastings so far apart? Wouldn't it add to the credibility of the experiment if the cigars were smoked on successive days so that one can make a better comparison?

Also, there should probably be a guideline as to how cold your freezer should be. Obviously, some freezers are much colder than others. So perhaps we could specify an acceptable range for purposes of the experiment.

I will partake as this topic has been of interest to me for some time. But why are the two tastings so far apart? Wouldn't it add to the credibility of the experiment if the cigars were smoked on successive days so that one can make a better comparison?

You need the frozen cigar to acclimatize as it is brought back. I have no problem people smoking them closer together.

Also, there should probably be a guideline as to how cold your freezer should be. Obviously, some freezers are much colder than others. So perhaps we could specify an acceptable range for purposes of the experiment.

Good point.

People, lick the inside of your freezer with your tongue. If your tongue doesn't stick to the freezer you need to turn it down and make it colder. Try again.

People, lick the inside of your freezer with your tongue. If your tongue doesn't stick to the freezer you need to turn it down and make it colder. Try again.

[/color]

My freezer is of the non-stick variety. . .

Aren't all Habanos for export frozen before they are shipped out to minimize infestations?

Supposedly. Although if you look at the math it doesn't quite add up.

Supposedly. Although if you look at the math it doesn't quite add up.

Pres: By this I assume you mean that there is no way that Habanos has sufficient freezing facilities to freeze the volume of cigars being made in Cuba today? I saw this discussed on another forum where it was claimed that the math did not add up. But when I looked at it the math actually does not seem that unrealistic. Cuba produces around 100M cigars a year or an average of 8.3M cigars a month and 400K cigars a day, assuming 250 working days a year. Assume that each cigar is frozen for two days, you would need a facility (or facilities) large enough to freeze 800K cigars. Assume that the average cigar is 5.5 inches, by 1 inch by 1 inch. Then the average Cuban cigar is 0.00318 cubic feet. So 800K cigars would take up 2,546 cubic feet (or about 72 cubic meters). It does not at all seem unrealistic to assume that a facility or facilities of this size or even double or triple this size exist. My assumptions may be slightly off, and I have not accounted for the volume of cigar boxes (if the cigars are stored in boxes when frozen) but can't be too far from reality.

Pres: By this I assume you mean that there is no way that Habanos has sufficient freezing facilities to freeze the volume of cigars being made in Cuba today? I saw this discussed on another forum where it was claimed that the math did not add up. But when I looked at it the math actually does not seem that unrealistic. Cuba produces around 100M cigars a year or an average of 8.3M cigars a month and 400K cigars a day, assuming 250 working days a year. Assume that each cigar is frozen for two days, you would need a facility (or facilities) large enough to freeze 800K cigars. Assume that the average cigar is 5.5 inches, by 1 inch by 1 inch. Then the average Cuban cigar is 0.00318 cubic feet. So 800K cigars would take up 2,546 cubic feet (or about 72 cubic meters). It does not at all seem unrealistic to assume that a facility or facilities of this size or even double or triple this size exist. My assumptions may be slightly off, and I have not accounted for the volume of cigar boxes (if the cigars are stored in boxes when frozen) but can't be too far from reality.

My information is there is only one facility. Frozen in box. 80,000 per day frozen at -12 . They then go into two separate chambers to stabilize over two days.

At its peak, Partagas had a capacity of 24000 cigars a day. They are less than half that today.

For the interest of fairness, shouldn't there be a third cigar to compare it with? Smoke the first, unfrozen one as a base line. Then smoke the frozen one along with another non-frozen cigar, all the while not knowing their respective identities until both have been smoked, and then compare notes, just to eliminate the element of the subconscious.

Good points. But on the other hand, doesn't it require electricity to bring a freezer's temperature down to the point that beetle eggs will crack? How reliable is the Cuban electrical grid?

Good points. But on the other hand, doesn't it require electricity to bring a freezer's temperature down to the point that beetle eggs will crack? How reliable is the Cuban electrical grid?

That my friend is just to pragmatic a question for this board to handle!!! It makes me wonder further. Would the freezer be a 50's vintage American made freezer or a 60's vintage Soviet freezer??? -LOL

Maybe and I say just maybe... they are pulling power off the Gitmo windmill grid! -Piggy