FORMULA 1 2011

Once again, a season has passed and a new season will soon commence.

Vettel won the 2010 WDC with Red Bull clinching the Constructors.

Will Webber be strong as he was last season, will Vettel hold onto his WDC for a consecutive season?

Bigger question yet, will Michael Schumacher return in dominant form?

Either way, I'll be posting as usual all the F1 news as they arrive (Albeit the next week as I will be on holiday). Please feel free to also add your opinions, contributions etc, you are all most welcome. :thumbsup:

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubens predicts 'aggressive' Williams

Rubens-Barrichello-Japan-2010_2512573.jpg

Rubens Barrichello is upbeat about Williams' 2011 challenger, saying it will be "in aggressive mode".

Williams continued with their mid-table form in 2010 and finished sixth in the Constructors' Championship, but their engine supplier Cosworth has already indicated they are targeting a return to the top four next year.

Barrichello is equally positive about their chances, saying he wants the team to go forward next year.

"I'm so positive that I can see the team growing, but I'm possibly not the right person to question," he told Autosport. "I can see only the good signs, and I'm changing the bad signs. I've been pinpointing things exactly with the car, and with that they can help everyone in the team to go forward.

"Next year's car is definitely in aggressive mode. But it's about whoever makes the tyres work better.

"It's a make or break type of thing. If you think that the Honda was not a very good car, we had a terrible 2008 season, and whenever they put the slicks on at the end of the year, the car improved itself. It was a car that if it was fighting for sixth position, it was already fighting for fifth. And then they made such an upgrade [as Brawn] it went to first.

"The Pirelli tyres could have a fundamental change on the tyres aerodynamically, so whatever happens it will help some teams and it won't help some others."

Many thought Barrichello had come to the end of his career when Mercedes GP decided not to offer him a deal after they bought out Brawn. However, Williams were quick to pounce and despite his age, the veteran put in some impressive displays in 2010.

So what's the secret at Williams?

"It's not about cuddling and love, it's about getting the work done and getting everyone to hear what you're doing," Barrichello explained. "It's a good marriage to be honest, with you. That's what I'm in love with!

"It's been one of the best times of my career. Like I've said before, all the teams that have employed me have used me well enough for their benefit, but not as well as Williams have used me. They hear me fully, and they actually act. They may have a sense that 'this is bullshit,' but let's try it anyway.' And then they try, and see some benefit.

"There's been some fantastic work. Sam [Michael] heard me and went off, and after Istanbul we were able to change the characteristic of the wind tunnel."

Force India rumour mill rumbles on

Nico-Hulkenberg-thumbs-up_2523904.jpg

Paul di Resta will join Adrian Sutil in Force India's second car, with Nico Hulkenberg serving as the team's third driver, according to reports.

With the team yet to confirm their driver line-up, speculation is rife regarding the identity of their drivers, with Blick newspaper now reporting that Paul di Resta will join Adrian Sutil in a race-seat, with former Williams man Nico Hulkenberg signed as reserve driver.

If the reports are correct, it will see Di Resta promoted from the position of third driver, with Tonio Liuzzi the man getting the sack.

Hulkenberg will take part in Friday morning testing sessions. However, Hulkenberg's manager, Willi Weber, reveals that Force India was not always set to be the German's new home.

"I actually wanted Nico to be the third driver at McLaren," Weber explained to the newspaper.

"But team boss Martin Whitmarsh feared that it would be seen as a threat to Jenson Button and he didn't want to disrupt the team's harmony as they hunt for the 2011 Championship."

The publication added that Force India would make an official announcement in the coming days.

great to see, MIKA! Thanks for keeping up this tradition. It's my one-stop-shop for F1 news.

Go Ferrari!

down with the Pats!!!

happy new year!

Happy New Year Mika and all F1 lovers. I think Webber missed his one chance at the WDC last year and wouldnt be surprised to see him depart/let go from Red Bull. As a Ferrari fan, I was so glad Vettel won and not Alonso! Dont like him never will.

Looking forward to a great 2011 season.

Forza!

• 3 weeks later...
Happy New Year Mika and all F1 lovers. I think Webber missed his one chance at the WDC last year and wouldnt be surprised to see him depart/let go from Red Bull. As a Ferrari fan, I was so glad Vettel won and not Alonso! Dont like him never will.

Looking forward to a great 2011 season.

Forza!

Great stuff Brian, thanks for the post and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL! :buddies:

Apologies I have been away on holidays, headed up to Apollo Bay on the great Ocean Road here in Victoria with the family and a bunch of great cigars! ;)

I'm back now and will start posting some news. :2thumbs:

Hulkenberg's manager: We turned down Virgin

Nico-Hulkenberg_2512744.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg's manager Willi Weber apparently turned down an offer from Virgin Racing as he wasn't keen on his client joining a team with another German driver.

Hulkenberg's Formula One future remains uncertain following Williams' decision not to renew his contract last year. He has been linked with Force India and some of the newer teams on the gird as well as a testing role at Mercedes. Weber, though, has always maintained they were not keen on joining a new team or a reserve driver role.

And he stayed true to his word.

"It has to be a team from at least the level of Williams," Weber told Germany's Auto, Motor und Sport. "We had an offer from Virgin and we were very happy with it but two German drivers in a team with Timo Glock is too risky."

Weber also made it clear Hulkenberg won't become a pay driver.

"Formula One has to be careful the series won't be split in a Championship with 14 real drivers and 10 rich drivers who pay to race. There is something wrong with teams that only sign up drivers for their budgets.

"I simply refuse to pay for Nico's cockpit. The minute you start paying for your seat you will have to bring money for the rest of his career. He is just too good to start paying for his seat in Formula One."

HRT 'not an option' for De la Rosa

Pedro-de-la-Rosa-Belgian-GP_2534365.jpg

Pedro de la Rosa has ruled out a move to Hispania Racing despite being without a race seat for the 2011 season.

The Spaniard spent the latter part of 2010 on the sidelines after being replaced by Nick Heidfeld at Sauber. He later accepted a role as Pirelli test drivers.

De la Rosa has been strongly linked with Hispania in recent months, but insists he's not heading there.

"HRT is, for me, not an option," he told Autosport. "I don't know what the future will cover. I'm trying to find a race drive in Formula 1 as always, I will never give up.

"Pirelli are planning to do some more testing during the year. I don't know, possibly I will be running with Pirelli, a race drive somewhere, or a reserve role in Formula 1. The next few weeks will be quite important for my future."

MIKA: I think the heading for this should be: "HRT NOT AN OPTION FOR FORMULA 1" :2thumbs:

New trainer for Hamilton

Lewis-Hamilton_2526587.jpg

Lewis Hamilton will have a new full-time trainer for this year's Championship after McLaren appointed Finland's Antti Vierula.

Hamilton has already worked with former athlete Vierula, who put the Brit through his paces last winter ahead of the 2010 season.

The Finn will now take a full-time role as the 2008 World Champion's trainer, replacing Clayton Green who has stepped up to a senior position within McLaren's Human High Performance programme at the team's technology centre in Woking.

Vierula, who has worked at the renowned Kuortane Sports Institute in Finland and coached three athletes to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, will work closely with Hamilton at the gym and track, co-ordinating his fitness programme and dietary needs.

McLaren Racing managing director Jonathan Neale said: "At McLaren, we're committed to building a team with incredible strength in depth in every department.

"By appointing Antti to oversee Lewis' trackside fitness regime and Clayton to a senior position at the MTC we're convinced we've assembled the most experienced, capable and committed team to oversee Lewis' training requirements."

Ferrari duo back at work

Felipe-Massa_2518249.jpg

Felipe Massa returned to work this week, spending two days at Maranello in preparation for pre-season testing.

On Monday, the Brazilian, who finished sixth in the 2010 Drivers' Championship, tackled a session in the simulator before meeting with Aldo Costa and Nikolas Tombazis.

The technical director and chief designer spent time bringing Massa up to date with the latest developments on Ferrari's 2011 car.

The following day, he visited the Assembly Area to work with engineers and mechanics on his seating in the cockpit, after which he had a long discussion with his race engineer, Rob Smedley.

Massa's visit to Maranello followed on from Fernando Alonso's as the Spaniard had his seat fitting late last week.

The double World Champion also had a look at the 288 chassis, which will be used for the pre-season test sessions, before chatting with Costa, Tombazis and his race engineer, Andrea Stella.

Ferrari will launch their 2011 challenger at Maranello on 28 January.

Williams confirms launch date & interim livery

Hulkenberg_Williams-F30_2010_Jerez_09123.jpg

The Williams team have confirmed that they will debut their 2011 car, the FW33, on the first day of testing in Valencia on February 1st.

The Grove based outfit has opted to run an interim livery for the first test, as they did in 2010, before confirming their 2011 livery in due course.

Rubens Barrichello will get the opportunity to get behind the wheel first, completing a day and a half, with Pastor Maldonado taking over testing duties for the remainder.

Mallya: 'F1 isn't a hobby, it's a business'

mallya_f1.jpg

Vijay Mallya has denied any suggestion that his Formula One team and Cricket team are simply 'hobbies'.

The Indian billionaire owns the Force India outfit as well as the IPL team, the Royal Challengers Bangalore along with his main businesses, Kingfisher Airlines and the United Breweries Group.

"It is certainly not a hobby," he told the BBC. "F1 and cricket are part and parcel of our business tools for promotion, and are sports in which, not only I am interested, but in which India is hugely interested."

He is under no illusions that climbing up the grid isn't something that can be achieved overnight, but recognises the fact his Silverstone based outfit, formerly Spyker, has come along way since he bought them back in 2007.

"F1 is perhaps the most technically competitive sport in the world. You are no longer fighting for half a second, you are fighting for one-hundredth of a second," he explained.

"It has become a lot more competitive so it is very difficult to move up the ladder quickly.

"I am proud that the Force India F1 team, from the end of 2007 when I bought the team, to today, it has come a long way."

The 55-year-old also hinted that rumours regarding the teams driver line-up for 2011 season, which could see Paul di Resta partner Adrian Sutil, may be true, admitting their were some loose ends to tie up - likely in regards to Tonio Liuzzi's contract.

"There are some legal loose ends to be tied up," but he confirmed a decision would be "made within the next few days."

MIKA: IMO - VJ is a great team manager/owner who has brought much success to his team. In fact, Force India is one of the great teams in F1 who tend to mix it up and be in contention when you least expect it. :2thumbs:

Perhaps this should be more about Richard Branson who treats his team like a hobby? :buddies:

Could we maybe have two F1 threads this year? One for posting all these news releases and one for discussions? In the past discussions tend to get lost in all the news, which is a shame.

Magaste, that's a really good idea. :2thumbs:

Would you do the honors bud and get the thread started? :buddies:

Innovative MP4-26 will create discussion

Jenson_Button_McLaren_MP4-25_98163.jpg

Martin Whitmarsh believes McLaren's new MP4-26 will create lots of discussion among fans and teams thanks to its innovative design.

In 2010, the Woking-based outfit pioneered the F-duct, a system which stalled the rear-wing to reduce drag. It was later copied by the majority of the grid. Whitmarsh is hoping some 'interesting features' on the 2011 car will have the same effect.

"The truth is, we're always pretty fired-up," he told Crash.net. "We've got an incredible team of people who are very, very motivated; they're working hard and we go into every year seeking to win and hoping that we're going to win.

"The car is in car-build at the moment. It's always hard-pushed for everyone, but it looks good to me, it looks innovative, I think there are some interesting features on it and I'm sure there's going to be lots of discussion about it."

The team principal isn't getting ahead of himself though and realises the fact that his rivals will be working just as hard.

"I'm sure others are working just as hard. You can never be confident.

"We took the decision [to launch the MP4-26 late] probably six months ago; we thought it was right then, and I don't have any reason yet to believe that it was wrong. We feel that for us, giving our aerodynamicists and our engineers the maximum amount of time to find performance and develop the car was the right thing to do."

Red Bull confirm February 1st launch date

launch_rbr.jpg

Red Bull have confirmed that they will launch their 2011 car, the RB7, on February 1st in the Valencia pitlane.

The sequel to the 2010 championship winning car will take part in the first pre-season test of the year, unlike last year when they opted to launch at the second - a strategy McLaren have adopted.

The invite reads: "The last time Adrian Newey designed a car it looked like this," referring to the amazing X1 prototype designer for the GT5 racing game.

It continued: "Be the first to see the next one... come to the Circuito Ricardo Tormo, Valencia, on 1st February 2011."

The launch will take place in the pitlane at 8:30.

Pirelli 'beef up' front tyres

Pirelli-wetnight-test-Abu-Dhabi_2552564.jpg

Pirelli have altered their front tyres, making them stronger, in response to feedback from the teams.

The teams had their first taste of the Pirelli tyres in November last year, putting the Italian rubber through its paces in Abu Dhabi.

And although most drivers declared themselves happy with the new tyres, Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery has revealed that there were a few requests for changes.

"We were asked to provide a slightly stronger front tyre, which is what we've done," Hembery told Autosport.

"In the process we maybe threw the rear out of balance, which is something that was noted during the test, but we've also improved that during the remaining tests that we've done.

"We were asked to try to beef up the front tyre, to give it more a precise input when the drivers turn into the corner, to give more feel.

"We believe we've done that, and we've now finished the work on the rear so we'll see how we get on with a car designed around our tyres."

Hembrey also confirmed that Pirelli would hold a number of tests throughout the 2011 season.

"At the moment we know we're going to be in Istanbul in April, then Barcelona in May. We'll definitely be back in the Middle East again in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi at the end of the season.

"We couldn't get Silverstone, we're trying to go to Monza and probably Spa as well. So we are trying to carry on a parallel development programme. That's obviously looking more for 2012.

"We've got some ideas that, given more time we would have taken forward, but those now are rested and being put towards that programme."

Renault says R31 design 'brave'

59883_2.jpg

Renault technical director James Allison has described the team’s approach to the design of its new R31 as being at the “brave end of brave” as it looks to get back to winning ways this year.

The former world champion team goes into the coming season with a new look following the arrival of Lotus Cars as its title sponsor, with its 2011 cars to be pained in the black and gold livery made famous by the original Lotus Formula 1 team.

In its first year under the control of the Genii investment group last year, the Enstone-based squad rebounded strongly from its dismal 2009 campaign and re-established itself in the top five of the constructors’ championship.

Hopes are high for a further improvement this season and Allison suggests the team has gone aggressive in the design of its latest challenger in a bid to take that next step forward.

“This time of year is a heady mix of both thrilling excitement of finding out, confirming that all your plans are coming to fruition and also abject terror that you will not deliver the thing in time,” he said in a video interview on Lotus Cars’ website.

“Anyone who follows the sport will have seen that words like aggressive, brave, are being bandied around across several of the teams this year for their solutions.

"I believe that we have chosen a direction that is really on the brave end of brave.”

Speaking in the same video, team boss Eric Boullier made clear the squad’s ambition for 2011 and expressed confidence that, irrespective of how its rivals’ new cars turn out, it has certainly made big improvements.

“We want to win and we want to be successful in Formula 1,” Boullier said.

“The more attention we can get from the fans and the Lotus people and from all our sponsors, we put ourselves into a pressure mode because we have to win.

“We know now we will be much more competitive than last year. We don’t know yet obviously what the other teams, and the other forces, will be in F1 – but we already know we will be much stronger.”

Chief operating officer Patrick Louis confirmed that the team is looking to take at least two steps forward on last year’s performance in championship terms and revealed it had taken on more work at its Enstone base in a bid to free up additional funds to try and achieve that aim.

“The objective for the team is to finish within the top three in the championship,” Louis said.

“To get along to that objective, based also on the Resource Restriction programmes we have to run, we have been choosing and opting to re-insource a major part of the outsource jobs we have.

“[The team decided to do this] for many, many reasons because based on a higher efficiency in-house we are going to be able to match the volumes [of production], we can improve the quality level and we can decrease the external expenditure.

“So these cost reductions, which we can reinvest into research and development, should provide the future track performance we are looking for.”

Renault isn’t unveiling its R31 until the day before pre-season testing kicks off in Valencia, but the squad showed off the black and gold livery that will be painted onto the car in Birmingham last week.

Allison feels the legendary colour scheme will prove to be the standout livery on the 2011 grid.

“We’ve been fortunate last year with our car we had a very attractive paint scheme and it’s an absolute thrill that this year we’ve managed to surpass even that,” he said.

“We’ve got a paint job on our car this year which looks utterly magnificent. I think it will be the envy of the grid and I’m looking forward to seeing it go round the track.”

Man can't wait for the start of the 2011 F1 season. Anyone else getting as impatient and excited as I am?

Welcome back Baldy!! :D

I am really excited and as always, impatient for the next race. :lol:

Look forward to this season bud and I look forward to your views mate. :D

Rosberg: Strange that Alonso named Schumi

Nico-Rosberg_2525802.jpg

Nico Rosberg insists he's unfazed that Fernando Alonso singled out his team-mate and not him to be a huge threat in 2011.

Alonso was recently asked for his thoughts on who his main rivals for this year's World title may be and surprised many by naming seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher.

"The most dangerous Champion for me is always Michael," said the Ferrari driver. "Now in January if I have to choose one name I have to say Michael.

"He is seven-time Champion, he has nothing to prove. He had a difficult season but he is still a Champion. He is still super class and if the car is right he will be a contender."

And while there is no doubting Schumacher's pedigree, there are some doubts about whether he still has what it takes.

The German, who returned to F1 last season with Mercedes GP, finished ninth in 2010, 70 points behind Rosberg and 184 adrift of World Champion Sebastian Vettel.

Asked whether he was "annoyed" that Alonso had chosen Schumacher over him as a potential threat, Rosberg told Auto Moto und Sport: "No, that doesn't interest me.

"But I found it a bit strange. Why not say Red Bull will be his nearest rival? That would be obvious."

Meanwhile, Rosberg has confirmed that he'll have the honour of debuting Merc GP's new W02 when it hits the track at Valencia on February 1st.

"I am going first," the 25-year-old told the DPA agency. "It will be interesting to see how it (the car) feels. You know pretty quickly how good it is going to be."

However, the German has downplayed his chances of winning the World title, although insists it will happen one day.

"It is probably unrealistic to go into the season saying we will win the Championship, but we will succeed sooner or later. We are on the right track."

Manager: Liuzzi may not race in 2011

Tonio-Liuzzi_2472874.jpg

Tonio Liuzzi's manager concedes that while the Italian will be in F1 this year that doesn't mean he will be racing.

With Force India expected to confirm Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta as their 2011 drivers, Liuzzi's position within the team is tentative at best.

However, his manager Peter Collins is adamant that the Italian, who is contracted to Force India for this year's Championship, will remain in F1.

"Tonio will be in F1 this year. Will he be racing? I don't know," he told the BBC.

"I've no comment to make at this stage and it would be wrong for me to do so.

"The position has been very clear for some time and it is best to let the team make any announcement."

Pirelli to colour-code tyres to define compounds

pirelli-red-tyre-01.jpg

Pirelli will colour-code the writing on its tyres to help define which compound a driver is running, according to reports from Italy.

In 2007, Bridgestone introduced a white stripe which ran between the grooves of the tyre to differentiate between soft and hard. With the re-introduction of slicks in 2009, a different approach was needed. The Japanese manufacturer decided to paint a green ring around the inside and outside wall.

Pirelli look set to take this a step further with four different coloured Pirelli logo's to identify between; Super-soft, Soft, Medium and Hard, whilst the wet and intermediates will also sport different colours. According to reports, the tyres will be painted as follows:

Super-soft: RED

Soft: WHITE

Medium: BLUE

Hard: YELLOW

Full wets: YELLOW

Intermediates: RED

It has also been reported that the tyres will be allocated at random by the FIA - to ensure no particular team or driver receive an unfair advantage.

Hi Mika

Glad to see the F-1 thread back for 2011 which i believe will be a better season than last year ,and 2010 was a good year

will contribute as often as i can ,on which is one of my favourite threads on this forum

cheers OZ :cigar:

Hi Mika

Glad to see the F-1 thread back for 2011 which i believe will be a better season than last year ,and 2010 was a good year

will contribute as often as i can ,on which is one of my favourite threads on this forum

cheers OZ :thumbsup:

Thanks and welcome back Steve. :cigar: