FORMULA 1 2011

Massa: Confident of a strong start

Ferrar-1_2555927.jpg

Felipe Massa is excited by the challenges facing him this season, confident that his new F150 can produce the goods.

The Brazilian was present at Maranello on Friday, taking the covers off the new car, which he will drive for the first time on Saturday as part of a promotional outing for Ferrari.

However, the 29-year-old, who is gearing up for his sixth season with the Scuderia, is already under pressure to perform even before the first race of the Championship.

He suffered a disappointing campaign in 2010, struggling to match team-mate Fernando Alonso after appearing to lose motivation in the wake of the team orders furore at the German Grand Prix.

"You always feel pressure when you drive for Ferrari, but especially for me because last year was a difficult one," he said.

"So I would like to start this year with positive results, and I'm confident I will do this."

But aside from proving himself to his Ferrari bosses, Massa, along with his rivals, will also have to come to grips with F1's new regulations.

This year sees the introducion of moveable rear wings, the return of KERS and Pirelli stepping in to replace Bridgestone as F1's tyre supplier.

"It is very important for us and I am very motivated and excited," he said.

"I have followed the development of the car up until the first race and therefore I really am willing to start this new year.

"There are a lot of things to learn and understand as quickly as possible, new rules to take into account and this is an additional reason to commit myself to it, I am happy to start the tests this year and I hope this new car will live and grow as quickly as possible.

"It seems that since the end of last year there was a lot of time, but time goes quickly.

"Working on a car is not a simple task, but with the strength and work of our engineers and mechanics, I think it will be easy for me to learn all the new rules and have good results this season."

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosberg: More than just beating Schumi

Nico-Rosberg_2531806.jpg

Nico Rosberg concedes it "would be nice" to beat Michael Schumacher again this season but that's not his main goal.

Rosberg teamed up with the seven-time World Champion at Mercedes GP last year, Schumacher's first back in F1 after a three-year absence.

The 25-year-old out-raced his compatriot for most of the season, finishing seventh in the Championship and with almost double the number of points scored by Schumacher.

And although Rosberg would like to have the upper hand again in 2011, he admits there's more at stake than just beating his team-mate.

"Of course it would be nice to end the new season ahead of Michael Schumacher again," Rosberg told the Stuttgarter Zeitung newspaper.

"But it is more important reap better results.

"We have invested an incredible amount of effort in the new car, so everything will be better."

Ferrari unveil the F150 in Maranello

f150-ferrari-2011.jpg

Ferrari officially launched their 2011 challenger live via the internet from Maranello on Friday morning.

Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa pulled back the red cloth to reveal the F150 which, to the untrained eye, looks very similar to that of the 2010 car.

Check out the images below:

ferrari-f150.jpg

ferrari-f1501.jpg

ferrari-f150-2.jpg

Sauber drivers put through paces

snow-climbing.jpg

The Sauber drivers have been sweating away over the past four days at a training camp located above the Walensee lake in the Swiss canton of Glarus.

Kamui Kobayashi, Sergio Perez and reserve driver Esteban Gutièrrez were put through their paces at the camp starting with detailed medical and physiotherapeutic checks.

"We’ve designed the programme as a control loop. Three times a year we analyse the physical condition of our drivers, draw up targets and programmes, and train together," explains Markus Angst who, together with team medic Dr Urs Kitschmann, sports scientist Coni Angst and physiotherapist Joseph Leberer, oversaw the programme.

The drivers convened at the Swiss Olympic Medical Center to determine their levels of endurance, strength and coordination. The main objective of the tests waere to review the drivers’ progress towards meeting their winter training targets.

sauber-training-03.jpg

During a race, the drivers can experience forces of over 5G. In addition, the drivers have to put up with constant vibrations and cockpit temperatures that intermittently reach 50°C – not very pleasant when you’re wearing fireproof underwear and fireproof overalls.

Despite these conditions, it is vital they maintain optimum concentration for 90 minutes. They have to be able to react correctly to any eventuality within a fraction of second – right up until they see the chequered flag. A driver’s average heart rate during a race reaches 160 to 180 beats per minute, depending on the circuit and ambient conditions.

The training units that make up the programme are therefore geared towards improving strength, endurance, coordination, reaction times, concentration and teamwork.

training-sauber-01.jpg

Strength training focuses on ensuring that the drivers can withstand the loads and forces which they will experience over the one-and-a-half hours of a race. Here, the loads exerted on the neck play a particularly central role, but the drivers’ arms and legs also have to be in good condition. And an extremely high level of trunk stability is also essential.

The goal in terms of endurance is to reach a level of fitness where the race distance in itself is no longer a particular source of strain, since the deeper a driver has to dig physically, the more his cognitive ability is reduced. The endurance training in Switzerland included cross-country skiing, mountaineering with snowshoes and night hiking, as well as an activity demanding a fair amount of courage into the bargain: ice climbing on a frozen waterfall.

training-sauber-02.jpg

In many of the training disciplines, coordination also plays a pivotal role. Cross-country skiing and climbing are good examples here, as well as various ball games and badminton.

In other exercises it is all about reaction times, as Markus Angst explained: "We can even train a driver to reduce the amount of time it takes him to respond to stimulus. We’ve had good results in this regard."

Concentration strategies are another important area, and are particularly effective when it comes to GP qualifying. The key is to build up the optimum level of alertness in pressurised situations – not so high that it borders on nervousness, but high enough to enable peak efficiency when it comes to absorption of information and delivering maximum performance. This training unit saw the drivers involved in live shooting exercises with 9-millimetre pistols.

"As in qualifying, shooting is also all about isolating yourself in a competitive situation to achieve optimum concentration," says Angst. "But the idea was to have a bit of fun as well."

kobayashi-shooting.jpg

With that in mind, there was also an opportunity to take part in a bowling tournament one evening and, after scaling a particularly tough peak, to airboard down part of the way at speed. "It’s important for us – and the drivers as a unit – to get to know each other and develop a basis of trust," emphasises Angst. "There’s a lot of fun involved in days like these, but you also get to see how everyone responds to pressure, sometimes you have to overcome yourself, and you learn to rely on your team-mates. During the ice climbing, for example, we were roped together both metaphorically and literally."

Kobayashi’s favourite exercise was shooting: "We had a very good instructor and it was great to try and do this well. I have to admit that generally I don’t like the winter very much, as I prefer warmer temperatures. However, overall it was really a very tough programme and it was good to do it. We have had a long break and the season kicks off soon – it is time to get going again and I feel fit."

training-sauber-04.jpg

Pérez commented on his first fitness camp with the team: "We did a lot of work and I’m quite happy with the shape I am in. I enjoyed every exercise with my favourites being climbing in a frozen waterfall, followed by cross country skiing. To me it was also very important and a really nice experience to spend time with my new team mates and build up relationships with them."

For Gutièrrez it was his second fitness camp with the Sauber team. His summary of it was: "It was great to have so many new and different activities on the programme. I did things I have never done before in my life and that was interesting! Certainly this is a very good way to start the season. My favourite was cross country skiing, as I enjoyed that a lot."

D’Ambrosio overwhelmed by Belgian support

jerome-dambrosio-2011-autosport.jpg

Since being announced as the second driver at Virgin Racing, Jerome d’Ambrosio says he’s been overwhelmed with support from Formula One fans in his home country of Belgium.

The 25-year-old has replaced Lucas di Grassi at the Dinnington based outfit for the 2011 season, ending a 17-year period of F1 not having a Belgian on the grid - the last being Philipe Adams whom competed in two races for Lotus in 1994.

"The other day I went into a couple of shops and both times they recognised me,” he told Crash.net. "That was a first for me.

"It's funny, but people in Belgium have a lot of respect as well so I don't feel under pressure. They were just wishing me good luck for the season and were really proud. It's great to hear people saying that.”

Whilst d’Ambrosio might not be feeling the pressure thanks to his well-wishers, he knows he must deliver consistent results to ensure he remains a figure on the grid in the future.

"It's been 17 years, yeah [since Philipe Adams] – it's something fantastic, but now I have to get the most out of this chance. I've realised that people in Belgium love F1; I couldn't have expected such a reaction and I didn't expect that reaction, that everyone is so enthusiastic about it, and I'll do my best so I can stay as long as possible in F1,” he added.

Meanwhile, he admitted to having an obvious soft-spot for the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, a track which is highly regarded as the best on the calendar by fans and drivers alike.

"For me, Spa is very important. It's my home race, and more than being just my home grand prix, it's one of the nicest circuits in the world.

"Silverstone will be special too, because it's the home race for the team and driving the track there is fantastic – Becketts, Copse, everything is special – but also Monaco, Suzuka... I cannot wait to be out there!"

Q&A with Force India's Nico Hulkenberg

00-nico-hulkenberg-force-india.jpg

Q. Nico, you're joining Force India in the test and reserve driver role this season. What are your feelings about starting your new job with the team?

NH: I feel excited about my new home in F1. I am looking forward to working here and of course I am especially looking forward to driving the car for the first time. The team have made a huge leap forward within the last years and I want to be a part of the next step.

Q. What can you bring to the team?

NH: Last year was very important for me. I could gain lots of experience and had a good team-mate. I learned a lot from him on how to help developing a car in the right direction. I'm bringing a high level of motivation and will give my very best to be helpful for the team.

Q. How will you keep yourself motivated this year as a test driver?

NH: Well, of course I'd rather be a race driver, but the most important is that I stay within the F1 circus. Every driver wants to compete in races - that is what we are all driving for. But my motivation is to convince the team of my skills in order to be back in a race cockpit in 2012.

Q. What will your plans be from now until the start of the season?

NH: I will work with my physiotherapist for some days, work with the Force India engineers in the factory and drive the car a few days of the winter testing.

Q. Have you been at the factory getting to know the team and the new engineering team you'll work with?

NH: Yes, I have. We had to do a seat fit and discuss some other things. The team left a very good impression and I think we will be a good combination and bring the team forward.

Q. What do you make of your new team-mates?

NH: These are two great guys. Adrian and I were direct competitors last year, I like him personally. Also Paul is a sympathetic guy and had a very successful career so far, he could bring some surprises to the team.

Ecclestone happy to cancel Melbourne GP

bernie-ecclestone-face-01.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone has called Melbourne Mayor Robert Doyle’s bluff, after the figure suggested it was time to cancel the contract between his city and the F1 rights holder.

Doyle stated earlier last week that the race was costing the city too much money, an estimated £45 million (A$70m), and that it should be dropped once the contract expires in 2015.

Ecclestone has hit back at these claims and has assured the mayor that he’d be more than happy to cancel the event earlier than planned.

"If he wishes to cease having the event in Melbourne, I'm happy to discuss it with him," Mr Ecclestone told Radio 3AW'.

"I bet I will be dealing with these things longer than he's going to be mayor of Melbourne," added the 80-year-old.

He also agreed with Doyle’s assessment of him as 'cranky'.

"If the mayor thinks I'm cranky, I can probably help him by proving it.

"If he's not happy with the event in Australia, in that he wants to cancel the contract, we'd be happy to talk to him about that," he concluded.

Sauber team welcomes Jose Cuervo

d10sin1132_2507057.jpg

Sauber have added tequila brand of Jose Cuervo to their list of sponsors for this year's Championship.

Sauber, who have signed Mexican driver Sergio Perez as Kamui Kobayashi's 2011 team-mate, confirmed earlier this week the backing of Jose Cuervo.

The tequila brand's logo will appear on the sidepods and the top of the car's nose.

Team Principal Peter Sauber said: "We are very pleased to welcome Jose Cuervo as a new partner.

"To sign Sergio Perez as the team'mate of Kamui Kobayashi has had an impressive and passionate impact on the Mexican market."

Juan Domingo Beckmann, CEO of Jose Cuervo, added: "When we found out a Mexican driver had secured a seat with the Sauber F1 Team it all clicked for Jose Cuervo to support him and the team.

"It is very clear when all the right pieces fall into place things work out naturally. Sergio is a great driver racing for a superb team in the most prestigious of all sports, so why not involve the most distinguished tequila in the world, Jose Cuervo.

"We are convinced this will be a very successful venture for the company and for Mexico."

Todt: 2013 engine the result of lengthly talks

jean-todt-fia-president-01.jpg

The President of the FIA, Jean Todt, has responded to comments from Luca di Montezemolo in regards to the future engine of Formula One.

It was announced in 2010 that four-cylinder engines would become the standard power unit for the sport from 2013 onwards. This news drew heavy criticism from the Ferrari President, who claims such an engine is 'absurd' for the top-tier of motor-sport.

"I spoke to Todt and I'm glad the there is a different climate of dialogue than in the past. We're engaged in technological challenges such as the four-cylinder [engine, which] seems absurd to me.

"We've not even built a ten-cylinder Ferrari and I'm still thinking that a six-cylinder [engine] would have been more in line with the sports positioning in the market," said Montezemolo during the launch of the F150.

Todt has hit back, assuring the Italian that such a decision wasn't rushed into, rather, it was the result of lengthly discussions with several experts.

"I think the team and the people at Ferrari know very well that we've discussed everything, and Ferrari has always been involved in those talks," Todt told Motorsport-Total.

"Regarding the engine, everything has been decided - it's done.

"It was not said suddenly that we do four cylinders, and a turbocharger. All of this is the result of lengthy discussions with experts," he added.

The Frenchman claims he'd be happy with any size engine as long as it helps to reduce costs in the sport whilst creating a better show for the fans.

"If the result [of those discussions] has been that we want eight or ten cylinders, then I would have no problem with that. What I want, however, are lower costs, a better show and the introduction of new technologies.

"Soon it will be the Motor Show in Geneva and we have seen at the Motor Show in Paris last October that all top-tier manufacturers in the world rely on new technologies."

Lotus launches the new T128

59933_2.jpg

Team Lotus has revealed its 2011 Formula 1 car - which it hopes will thrust it into the thick of the points fight alongside the more established outfits.

The T128 was unveiled in an online launch via a special edition of the team's online magazine.

It will not hit the track for the first time until day two of this week's Valencia test on Wednesday.

Having only gained its 2010 entry at the last minute, Lotus produced a very conservative design for its debut season, but that was still sufficient to see off the challenge of fellow newcomers Hispania and Virgin.

Now the team has its sights set on the likes of Toro Rosso and Force India, and its new T128 is visually more in keeping with modern F1 design fashions.

The car's front wing detail, dramatic airbox shape and aerodynamically sculpted sidepods are clearly significantly more advanced that last year's relatively basic concept.

Lotus has also been boosted by an engine supply deal with Renault and transmission systems from Red Bull - giving it a large part of the package that Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull Racing took to the 2010 titles.

The team's chief operating officer Keith Saunt said the look of the T128 alone promised a great deal for 2011.

“You can just see that this car will be faster than last year’s," he said.

"It’s got the right sweeps and curves on it – it’s the very latest iteration of what an F1 car should be.”

Technical director Mike Gascoyne agreed that the T128 would be a league apart from last year's machine.

“I think that basically this car looks like a front-running car in every area," he declared.

"We said very clearly that we want to start challenging the established teams and I think that’s very achievable.”

Team Lotus remains embroiled in a row over Lotus naming rights with the Proton car company, owner of the Group Lotus sportscar business which has taken a shareholding in Renault.

Despite initially suggesting it would use the name TL11 for its new car, it has instead stuck with the traditional Lotus F1 designation scheme and chosen T128.

Team boss Tony Fernandes said he hoped the focus could now be on the team's performance, rather than the name spat, which is set to rumble on in the courts.

“There has been so much has focus off-track it’s a thrill to be able to get back to talking about racing," he said.

"The launch of the T128 is a big step forward for Team Lotus and I want to thank the whole team for the amount of hard work that has already gone into T128, and I want to thank Renault and Red Bull Technology for their tremendous support in helping us make this step forward and for being such great team partners.”

Mika: Great stuff, looks awesome, hope the package performs well.

Red Bull introduce their new RB7

Red-Bull-RB7-launch-Sebastian-Vettel-and-Mark_2557171.jpg

Red Bull Racing unveiled their Renault-powered RB7 at Valencia on Tuesday, the car they hope will see them retain the World titles.

Red Bull rose to the top of the Formula One ranks last season as the team claimed the Constructors' Championship ahead of McLaren while Sebastian Vettel pipped Fernando Alonso to the Drivers' Championship title.

Vettel, who became the youngest ever F1 World Champion, also became the fifth driver to wear the crown in five years.

However, Red Bull are intent on the German becoming the first since Alonso in 2006 to retain it.

The team launched their RB7 on Tuesday morning, with several notable changes to its predecessor.

rb7-red-bull-launch-2011-01.jpg

The car features a higher nose and engine cover as well as a different rear wing design.

Red-Bull-RB7.jpg

Vettel will be the first to drive the new car as he takes to the Valencia circuit later today.

Sauber reveal C30 at Ricardo Tormo circuit

sauber-c30.jpg

The Sauber team unveiled their 2011 car, the C30, at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit on the outskirts of Valencia on Monday morning.

The car features a similar colour scheme to the C29 launched in 2010 with the addition of a few extra sponsors.

Sauber technical director James Key believes they have ironed out the weak points of the car.

Technical director James Key said: "Our aim in the development of the Sauber C30-Ferrari has been to build on the strengths of the C29 and to eliminate its weak points.

"In addition, it is also important for us to go into winter testing with a car we understand, and we have worked hard on ensuring the characteristics of the car are heading in a direction we believe in. There will be much to learn about the new Pirelli tyres and in this respect we want to ensure there are no surprises with the way the car is handling."

The Ferrari powered car will also feature the Italian outfit's KERS system for the new season.

Check out the images of the new C30 below:

sauber-c30-1.JPG

sauber-c30-2.JPG

sauber-c30-1.jpg

Renault reveal 2011 car in Valencia pit-lane

renault-r31-1.jpg

The Renault F1 team revealed their striking R31 in the pitlane of the Ricardo Tormo circuit in Valencia on Monday.

The newly Lotus sponsored outfit showed off their new black and gold adorned 2011 challenger to the media, alongside new signing, Bruno Senna - who will join the team in a reserve role.

renault-r31-valencia.jpg

renault-r31.jpg

Senna joins Lotus-Renault in reserve role

bruno-senna-romain-grosjean-renault.jpg

Bruno Senna has managed to secure a position within Formula One for the 2011 season after being dropped by the Hispania team after their's, and his rookie season.

The Brazilian was revealed as a reserve driver for the Lotus-Renault outfit during their launch ceremony in the Ricardo Tormo pit-lane.

"It's a great moment for me. I've been trying to get into a good Formula 1 programme for a couple of years, it feels great to be joining such an established team," he said. "I'm proud of this achievement and thankful for the opportunity that I've been given.

"This year will be all about integrating myself with the team and extracting the most I can from being in such a competitive environment. Being part of this project will give me so much valuable experience and it’s down to me to make the most of it. I hope that I can develop myself and prove to the team that I should be given an opportunity for the future."

Mercedes introduce the W02 to the world

mercedes-mgp-w02-2011-launch-1.jpg

Mercedes have revealed a radically different car to their previous in the Valencia pitlane on Tuesday morning.

The W02 features a much more aggressive front-nose, similar to that of Red Bull's title winning car and what looks to be a trend up and down the grid.

The new chassis will be put through its paces later today when both Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg will get the opportunity to lap the Ricardo Tormo track.

mercedes-mgp-w02-2011-launch-2.jpg

Mercedes-GP-W02-launch-3_2557209.jpg

Mercedes-GP-W02-launch_2557204.jpg

Report: Mercedes to buy out Brawn

d10eur243_2470801.jpg

German carmakers Mercedes are taking full control of their Formula One team by buying out team principal Ross Brawn and four partners, a German news report said on Wednesday.

Auto, Motor und Sport magazine reported on its website that Mercedes are taking over the 24.9 per cent Brawn and his partners kept when they sold former BrawnGP to Mercedes after winning the 2009 World title.

The report said the deal is to be finalised ahead of the season-opening 2011 race on 13 March in Bahrain.

Mercedes unveiled their new car for record seven-times World Champion Michael Schumacher and fellow-German Nico Rosberg on Tuesday ahead of first pre-season tests in Valencia, Spain.

MIKA: Is this the end for Ross Brawn on the team?

Fernandes looks for speedy resolution

Tony-Fernandes_2536705.jpg

Team Lotus owner Tony Fernandes believes it is time for everybody involved in the naming-rights row to "grow up" and let the courts determine the outcome.

On the day Fernandes watched his team's new car, the T128, hit the track for the first time ahead of the impending Formula One season, the airline entrepreneur countered the comments earlier this week from Renault owner Gerard Lopez.

On Monday Lopez urged Fernandes to come clean and admit his fight over the Lotus name boiled down to nothing more than money.

In theory, Fernandes has no qualms over that because as he rightly points out, "there isn't any team here that is a charity."

Fernandes said: "If he (Lopez) expects me to give away Team Lotus and bankrupt this team, that's a crazy thought.

"I looked at an offer, with the best of gentlemanly conduct, that would have been better for the brand and everyone involved not to get into the fight we're in right now.

"I considered doing a deal, but the one they (Group Lotus) offered me would have bankrupted us, which is obviously something I've no intention of doing as I've worked hard to build it.

"I was doing it as a gentleman to try and not drag the name, so what can I do?"

Malaysian car giant Proton, who own sportscar manufacturer Group Lotus who have entered into a title-sponsorship deal with Renault, eventually terminated the five-year licensing agreement Fernandes had with them to use the Lotus name.

Fernandes then purchased the name 'Team Lotus' from David Hunt, brother of 1976 world champion James, who in 1994 bought the name himself after the marque went into receivership.

"As I saw Dany Bahar (Group Lotus CEO) doing his best to unravel a good relationship with Proton, I decided my investment and 250 jobs were in jeopardy, so we bought the name from David Hunt," confirmed Fernandes.

"I would much rather we remained as Lotus Racing (the team's name last year), but I had no choice because my licence was terminated, would you believe over nothing more than some t-shirts.

"We spent £80million, and yet they (Group Lotus) said we didn't have approval for some t-shirts. It's a laughing matter."

A High Court case to resolve the row is scheduled for the end of March and is expected to last 10 days, culminating just before the Malaysian Grand Prix, the third race of the season.

"I'm a fighter, and we'll fight this. I'm in the airline business and they train you hard there. I've had many years of many battles," added the owner of AirAsia.

"In all my years of being in that business it never got to the 'I said this, you said this'. It's petty.

"I think we should all grow up and let the courts decide, and at the end of the day we honour the courts.

"I said I didn't want to say anything any more, but they (Renault) keep making statements. I can't just say silent.

"I'm now happy not to say anything until the court case because we just want to go racing."

At least Fernandes was delighted to see the new Team Lotus car on track, complete with Renault engine, with Heikki Kovalainen at the wheel for its first day of testing.

"The best thing was Heikki's first comment when he said 'different car, different feeling, well done everyone'," said Fernandes.

"That really feels good because we were very nervous given we're rebuilding a whole new car, taking on other team's parts."

Lotus, though, appear to be aiming too high in only their second season as they are targeting eighth in the constructors' championship.

"The people who made those comments shocked me because they are generally not people who make comments like that, so there's fire in Hingham," said Fernandes.

"It shows there's a passion and determination to succeed, and that people are putting their necks on the line.

"Yes, we could be aiming too high, but the fact people are thinking like that changes the mindset of the team, so that's what I'm happy about."

Not the best of starts for Sauber's Perez

Sauber-C30-Sergio-Perez-VAlencia-testing-day-_2557667.jpg

Sauber rookie Sergio Perez was disappointed after his first day of testing was cut short due to issues with his new C30.

Perez, who replaced Kamui Kobayashi for the second day of pre-season testing, ventured out early in the morning before problems with his car's rear bodywork forced him back into the pits.

Back out on track in the afternoon session, the Mexican driver was again hit with problems, this time a power train issue.

As a result he managed just 42 laps with a best time of 1:16.198, which put him tenth on Wednesday's timesheets.

"It was a difficult day with not much running and we obviously could not complete our programme," said Perez.

"But for me it was still good to get my first laps in the new car, and I am beginning to feel confident with it.

"I'm looking forward to tomorrow and hope we can do a lot of running with proper set up work."

Tech boss James Key added: "It was a difficult day compared to yesterday, and it is a shame Sergio wasn't able to get in more laps.

"But it is only day two of the first test, and that is how winter testing can be. That is simply the nature of early testing.

"We will work hard tonight to resolve the issues and plan a full programme for tomorrow."

Rosberg reveals W02 teething problems

Nico-Rosberg-W02-Valencia-testing-Day-Two_2558135.jpg

Nico Rosberg has confirmed that Mercedes GP are having a few teething problems with both their KERS and moveable rear wing.

Rosberg was in action at Valencia on Wednesday for the second day of pre-season testing, putting Merc GP's new W02 through its paces.

However, the German, who suffered a hydraulic problem on Tuesday forcing him to stop out on track, yet again encountered problems, this time with his KERS and moveable rear wing.

Rosberg completed 69 laps with a best time of 1:14.645, which put him 1.338s down on the P1 time.

"The feeling remains that I feel very comfortable in the car, which is great - straight away. And that is a nice thing to have. But then today to really push there were a few things that we need to sort out," said the German.

"All of the main systems like KERS and the main wing often were not working or we did not have them on, and that then has a big impact on lap time - and that is lap time that we will find in the next few days or weeks.

"And other than that, there were a few things like with braking with KERS that you need to learn. You need to be confident on the brakes and with the KERS coming in. It was often a bit difficult with the confidence of the braking, and it is just a matter of getting used to it."

However, getting the devices to work properly wasn't the only issue facing Rosberg as he also had to figure out which buttons to push and when, a situation that wasn't helped by their issues.

"I learned how to handle the KERS for example with all the buttons and systems, it is very complicated for sure and it is going to take some time to get used to it.

"So that was quite a challenge today, also because we had some issues with it, so even out on track it was doing some strange things sometimes. It will be easy to sort them out for sure but today it wasn't working 100 percent."

Drivers' reactions to rule changes

Fernando-Alonso-F150-Valencia-testing-Day-Two_2558134.jpg

F1 drivers were busy grappling with new technical innovations like an adjustable rear wing and new steering wheel as the season's first test session continued on Wednesday.

Governing body FIA has banned aerodynamic boosts like last season's innovative F-duct and 2009's double-diffuser while returning the hybrid KERS power boost system after a one-season absence. F1 is hoping to encourage more overtaking, but that means drivers have a whole lot of more options to grapple with while reaching speeds of up to 360 kph (220 mph).

Michael-Schumacher_2557619.jpg

"Sure there are a lot of new buttons (on the steering wheel), but if it means a better show then we can accept that," two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso of Ferrari said. "You can lose concentration in your driving line, driving style - the drivers that train more or are more clever on this can have an advantage."

Seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher of Mercedes calls the raft of new rules the most "substantial" changes he's seen in a career that has spanned 20 years.

The adjustable rear wing is set to assist overtaking, the push of a button from inside the cockpit lowering a flap that will increase straight-line speed and make it easier to pass. Thanks to a number of transponders placed around the circuit, the FIA will decide when and where a driver can use the technology, which is activated when he is within one-second of the car in front. A light will come on to know the option is available.

"You think 'Jeez, what if it hasn't gone back to its original position,' because if it doesn't you are off in a big way," Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg said. "It's going to take some adjusting. Because it moves we don't know how quick it resets itself once you release the button again. It could be too late and it's not properly attached, so it's still a bit of a concern."

Nico-Rosberg-Mercedes-GP-W02-Valencia-testing_2557266.jpg

The rear wing cannot be used over the first two laps for safety reasons, but KERS will be able to provide a boost in that instance.

"Things could get a lot more interesting, especially on the first lap when everybody is within a second of one another," Rosberg said. "It's going to be all over the place, so it can only be good I guess."

McLaren and Ferrari already have an advantage over Red Bull and Mercedes with incorporating KERS as the pair used the technology during the 2009 season. Early season favorite Red Bull and Mercedes - which was then Brawn GP - are using it for the first time.

Vitaly-Petrov-R31-Valencia-Day-One_2557663.jpg

"It has been a learning experience for us all to use KERS for the first time and inevitably we faced some teething problems with the system, which should be ironed out quickly enough with further testing," Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn said Wednesday.

Schumacher believed the new thinking was "a step in the right direction."

"Last year overtaking was not possible so the new rules should be helpful," the 42-year-old German driver said. "That doesn't mean we will clearly overtake - but it should at least bring us into position which, with these current cars, was not the case."

Teams are also grappling with the change of tire provider as Pirelli has replaced Bridgestone.

So far, Lotus Renault's exhaust system appears to be the most radical design inside the pit lane at Valencia's Cheste Circuit.

To replace the diffuser effect - which created more downforce since the air flow passed through a longer area of underfloor - the team has elected to create an exhaust that exits at the sidepods. This is expected to increase the flow under the floor but could also lead to overheating.

"The entire concept differs considerably - not just from last year's car - but from any car this team has ever produced," technical director James Allison said. "Those changes represent our attempt to extract the absolute maximum aerodynamic performance from the regulations ... and to further develop the concept of using exhausts to blow the floor."

The first glance at the new field of cars - of the front-runners, only McLaren has not unveiled its car - hadn't yet provided any controversy over rules interpretations, but major updates and changes are expected by the third test in Barcelona or at the last in Bahrain.

"I can guarantee all my engineers will be pouring over the photographs as we speak - as will every engineer in Formula One," Brawn said. "I don't see anything dramatic at the moment, any major controversy. But there's bound to be questions on various cars."

The season opens with the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 13.

'Boring desert circuits are F1's problem'

dmk1102fe243_2558162.jpg

Mike Gascoyne believes F1 doesn't need new innovations such as moveable rear wings, what it needs are better circuits that facilitate passing.

Although last year's Championship proved be one of the more thrilling with four drivers in the hunt for the World title heading into the final race, Abu Dhabi, it petered out into a boring procession.

Contenders Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber, who were first and second in the title race, chose the wrong strategy and found themselves stuck behind Renault's Vitaly Petrov with no way to overtake.

It was a boring end to a season that suffered far too many processional races.

However, this season, the powers-that-be are hoping for more overtaking after introducing moveable rear wings and bringing back KERS.

Gascoyne, though, feels what F1 really needs are circuits that facilitate passing.

"You can make an argument that says, 'we had a cracking season last year and why would you want to change anything?'," the Team Lotus tech chief told Reuters.

"Then you could say, 'yes but we had three or four incredibly boring races'.

"If on certain circuits you have cracking races every year then why don't we stop going to boring racing circuits?

"The shame is that, Monaco apart, a lot of the races now that are really boring are all the purpose-designed tracks built in deserts where you could have done absolutely anything that you want.

"Bahrain and Abu Dhabi were the two most boring races (of 2010).

"It's pretty disappointing that you've got two massively boring races on circuits where you had literally carte blanche to do anything you liked. You could have had elevation change or moved sand wherever you want it."

As for the use of moveable rear wings, which allow the drivers to open a slot in the wing to give their car better straight-line speed over their rival's, Gascoyne says the concept will still have to be tweaked.

"I think the governing body has to be willing to change how it's implemented to ensure that it works in the way it's meant to. Very often we've done things like this and they've done more harm than good."

Trulli left with a 'good' feeling

Jarno-Trulli_2512455.jpg

Jarno Trulli is adamant Team Lotus are on the right track after putting in his first laps in the team's new T128.

Trulli was in action at the Valencia circuit on Thursday where, although he amassed some 38 laps, he never once posted a time.

With his T128 lacking power steering, chief engineer Mike Gascoyne revealed that Team Lotus ran a "limited programme" that consisted of "systems checks on fuel, aerodynamics and cooling" and "start simulations."

And even though he was not able to compare a time of his own against his rivals', Trulli insists he is happy with the progress Team Lotus have made with their T128.

"It's difficult to say, honestly, what the car is capable to do. But I got a good feeling, despite not having power steering, without which you can't really get the real test of the car," Trulli told Autosport.

"I can feel it's all okay, it's good, and it's running very well. I'm impressed by the whole rear end package. It's really great, and the people are working very professionally.

"It's looking very good, but it's hard to say now where we can be. I've just done systems work, which we have to do at this stage. It was a positive day.

"We are right on target so far. Obviously we want to discover very soon how good this car is in terms of lap time, and where we are in terms of performance. At the moment it's too early.

"There are a few bits missing on the car and we can't really work on the set-up. At Jerez we will start hammering the car and understanding it."

Schumi: A significant step forward

Michael-Schumacher-Valencia-testing-day-three_2558220.jpg

Michael Schumacher had no complaints after his first full day of testing behind the wheel of Mercedes GP's new W02.

The seven-time World Champ, who had his first taste of the new car on Tuesday when he completed 15 laps of the Valencia circuit, was back in action on Thursday.

Schumacher covered 110 laps with a best time of 1:14.537 as he worked on reliability and putting the miles on the team's 2011 challenger.

Thursday's outing was also the German's first run with KERS.

"We were able to achieve a lot of valuable mileage and it was a positive day. I am pleased with that, and with how the car was behaving," he said.

"Again, of course, this is not our final race car for the season but a lot of elements have already proved to be a significant step forward.

"I felt totally comfortable in the car immediately and noticed how much I had missed driving since November.

"We have a lot of work ahead of us, and this week gives us a very good idea of where we should concentrate our work. I look forward to going to Jerez now."

Team boss Ross Brawn was happy with the final day of testing as, for the first time, the W02 made it through the day without any problems.

"A good day's work today with Michael, and we have been able to cover some significant mileage which is important for our reliability checks.

"We're starting to get an insight into the car's behaviour and its responses to various set-up changes are proving to be very consistent.

"After a few difficulties at the start of the test, we have finished with a strong day providing plenty of data and options to take forward to the next test in Jerez."

Button: Pirelli rubber will suit me

Jenson-Button-Valencia-testing-day-three-MP4_2558219.jpg

Jenson Button emerged from his first day of pre-season testing ahead of the new campaign sensing the new Pirelli tyres might just work to his advantage this year.

With McLaren due to launch their new car, the MP4-26, on Friday in Berlin, Button drove an interim spec of last year's challenger on the final day of the opening three-day test in Valencia.

For the 2009 World Champion, the work was all about evaluating the new rubber, with Pirelli having replaced Bridgestone.

After completing 105 laps of the Valencia circuit, Button, whose struggles in qualifying last year were primarily due to his failure to get the best out of the Bridgestones, was positive about the Pirellis.

"I like the feeling of the tyre," said the Brit.

"It has a stable rear when you enter high-speed corners, a stable rear when you brake for low-speed corners, and that is something I really do need with the car. I am happy with that step.

"In quite a few races last year I wasn't happy with my qualifying performance, but in the races we were very competitive.

"It is an area I need to work on, but all we can do off the circuit is try and improve areas that I think will help me.

"One area I think is that with Pirelli we have a tyre that maybe suits me more than the previous tyre we had.

"We have to wait and see, but I think that may be the case. I also think the work we are doing at the factory is positive."

Button was third overall on the timesheets with a lap of 1:13.553, finishing 0.409s behind Robert Kubica in the new Renault that features an innovative exhaust system.

Kubica was the third different driver to lead the way this week as new World Champion Sebastian Vettel was quickest in his Red Bull on Day One followed by Ferrari's Fernando Alonso on Day Two.

Valencia day three: Kubica surprises

Robert-Kubica-R31-Valencia-Testing-day-three_2558397.jpg

After three days of pre-season testing a third constructor topped the timesheets on Thursday, with Robert Kubica's Renault seeing off Adrian Sutil's Force India.

Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull ended the opening day on top before Fernando Alonso piped the German to the post on Wednesday, but it was Kubica who recorded the fastest time of the week, beating his more fancied competitors to the first 'win' of the season.

Felipe Massa stole the headlines on Thursday morning, albeit for the wrong reasons. Just half an hour and 12 laps into his first day of pre-season testing, the Brazilian spun at turn five, and while he was able to collect the car, smoke billowed out the back of his Ferrari followed by flames. The Brazilian then entered into another spin after which the car came to a halt, Massa promptly exited the vehicle and the marshals were called to extinguish the blaze.

The patched up F150 did make an appearance later in the day, and having failed to impress for much of the afternoon, Massa posted a 1:14.073 late in the session to end the day fifth fastest.

After two days fraught with problems, matters looked to be improving for Mercedes GP, with Schumacher posting the third fastest time of the morning with a 1:14.537, 0.108 faster than team-mate Nico Rosberg's quickest lap yesterday.

Despite a long run in the afternoon, the German was unable to better his time while others sped, finishing the day in a disappointing ninth spot.

Kubica and Sutil were joined by Jenson Button and Mark Webber in breaking the 1:14 mark, with the later pair both putting in more than 100 laps. Webber endured a medicore start to the day in which he was unable to replicate the pace produced by Sebastian Vettel on the first two days in Valencia. However, with a reduced fuel load, the Australia improved in the afternoon to post a fastest lap of 1:13.936.

Button was there or thereabouts throughout the day, and will be happy to have recorded a 1:13.553 during his lengthy spell out on the Circuit Ricardo Tormo.

Sutil was the fastest man on track after the morning's running, following the lead set by Nico Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta on previous days by showing there is plenty of life left in the VJM03.

But while Sutil impressed in a 2010 model, Robert Kubica and his R31 served notice that Renault may well be on their way to narrowing the gap to the top teams.

While one can never read too much into pre-season times, the Pole appeared to spend the morning gathering data (his quickest time at the interval was four seconds off the pace) before proceeding to knock Sutil off the top of the timesheets with a 1:13.144.

On the other end of the spectrum, there were again problems for Lotus, with the power steering problem that ended their day prematurely on Wednesday again an issue, with Jarno Trulli only able to complete 38 laps all of which were without power steering.

While the Italian was unable to post a lap time, chief engineer Mike Gascoyne reported that the team was able to get all their "background tests done".

Having seemingly produced a shock result on Wednesday when he registered a 1:14.472, there were no timing errors or for that matter times of substance for Narain Karthikeyan, with his HRT more than three seconds off the pace.

There was some late improvement for Timo Glock and his VR-01, with the German finishing with a 1:14.207 to beat off the Williams of Pastor Maldonado (1:14.299) and the Sauber of Sergio Perez (1:14.458) for sixth spot. Schumacher and Sebastien Buemi (1:14.801) were still further behind.

Unofficial times:

01. Robert Kubica Renault 1:13.144 96 laps

02. Adrian Sutil Force India Mercedes 1:13.201 +0.057 117 laps

03. Jenson Button McLaren Mercedes 1:13.553 0.409 105 laps

04. Mark Webber Red Bull Renault 1:13.936 +0.792 105 laps

05. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:14.017 +0.873 80 laps

06. Timo Glock Virgin Cosworth 1:14.207 +1.063 114 laps

07. Pastor Maldonado Williams Cosworth 1:14.299 + 1.155 101 laps

08. Sergio Perez Sauber Ferrari 1:14.458 +1.314 104 laps

09. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:14.537 +1.393 110 laps

10. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso Ferrari 1:14.801 + 1.657 73 laps

11. Narain Karthikeyan HRT Cosworth 1:16.535 +3.391 63 laps