My 2009 Habanos Cigar of the Year Award --- H.Upmann Sir Winston

My choice for 2009 Habanos Cigar of the Year Award goes to the H.Upmann Sir Winston. (ABR 08)

1. Construction – after smoking 2 and ¼ boxes, every cigar so far has been perfect. They all had a slightly tight draw, which for me was right on.

2. Complexity – creamy dried fruit, elegant richness that builds up over the course of the cigar. Ends with toasty cedar, nuts and small waves of fruit.

3. Consistency – they have all been perfect and always leave me wanting more.

The only down side to this great cigar is price, but it does set the flavor benchmark.

post-5802-1263069731.jpg

post-5802-1263069777.jpg

post-5802-1263069852.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of my absolute favorites - alternately considering it my number one. I've not smoked any from such a recent vintage (working on '00s and '03s)

Are your pics of '08s? I thought they'd gone to the red bands some time ago - I'm used to the brown bands on these.

I have to agree with you. The Sir Winston is at the top of my list as well, and for many of the same reasons that you've mentioned. Above all, it's the consistency. I've been smoking from a SEPT 08 box, each smoke pretty much identical in flavor profile and construction. I love'em.

Those look just like 03 wrapper as all the 07/08 i seen were mostly dark and oily but you never know with Cuba.

As far as the bands the old ones you have on your SW never seen them on any 07/08 whats the box code on the ones pictured?

Also i had a couple of boxes from 03 and well they did nothing for me as for the 07/08 from what i heard and read they are light years better than the 03's...

Never heard of that code.... USE,RBT,LSO,GLA,URO and LSM with 08 are the most i remember having to do with H Upmann in 08..

This one is a new one to me anyone can give me info if this code was used in 08 so i can right it down in my book..Thanks

Something dont look right..

I knew i did not hear of a code like that in 08 also as i stated above I thought the wrappers looked like 03's .... Like Colt said enjoy your smokes !!!

Yes get some 08's SW much much better no contest than 03 SW not to say the 03's are bad for me they did nothing for me. But many BOTL i respect have stated 08's are the richest and overall better flavor than the 03 SW or in many years...

I also have a box of SW code TLR MAR 08, Jimmy I didn't see the TLR code in your post and was wondering if it was familiar to you. Also, I'm glad we have cleared up the 08 actually being an 03, because I was under the impression these sticks should really be rested for a good while, especially since there just from 2008. What's the word? Are we saying that these 08's are smoking great already? Is the Sir Winston a cigar that if smoking great this young will only gain in all flavor categories w/additional storage time? I know some of us prefer the "smoke em if they got em" marca, and we all buy for different reasons, but I basically bought these w/the intent on long term storage. Should I continue w/plan, or just dig in? As always your replies are appreciated.

For me I like to sample at least one cigar from a box if it tastes great to me I will just keep smoking them.. Also you can judge how they will age by at least sampling one out of a box.

Word is 07/08 SW will age has the legs 100% but also was said for a young SW they were smoking great young tons of rich flavor.

It's you choice on what you would like to do ..