My 2009 Habanos Cigar of the Year

Always tough to pick just one, so I had the award to my daily go to smoke. Here's the reasons why.

1. Construction: Almost always well constructed, with the occasional tight draw. Overall best PC, in my experience.

2. Consistency: Every box has contained the same flavor profile and construction quality throughout the year.

3. Flavor: Packed with a well balanced profile: sweet, tannic and salty elements. Detected notes of charred wood, rich tobacco, caramel, toffee, black tea and salted nuts.

4. Aroma: Delicate, floral aroma that is quite pleasing.

5. Burn: Burns evenly and slowly throughout. Rarely needs re-lighting.

6. Price: Very reasonable price for top quality tobacco.

7. Age: Smokes well young. No aging required to bring out it's qualities.

8. Ash: Nice tight ash, that holds well and isn't flaky. Important for me, as I enjoy cigars daily on my commute (car).

9. Compatability: Although I've enjoyed it with coffee daily, found it a great complement to any food/drink I've had. It can be smoked at any time of day or night.

In a nutshell, the PLPC has consistenty provided me with the best smoking experience and most pleasure for the money than any Habanos in 2009.

The PLPC has been a cigar that I re-discovered in 2009. Prior to that I had smoked a couple in the past and was never that impressed with them? To me they had a burnt caramel taste (I think they may have needed a little more age) that I didn't care for. About 6 months ago I did some blind petit corona reviews. Two of the sticks that I enjoyed were PLPC's. I gave one of them a score in the low 90's after that I had to get some more PLPC's as I realized that I had been missing out on a great little cigar. Now I have added them into my regular rotation. I really like that tannic, sweet, toffee, caramel profile that they have.

I have smoked through an '07, '08 and part of an '04 cab this last year. The '04 may have been slightly less consistent than the other year(s) but definitely more pungent. I am still holding a KMM '04 cab in my heap somewhere and this may very well be the (new) year I open them up.

Decisions, decisions!