Punch Royal Selection No 12 - EMA FEB 08

asmith

Another one of the proposed cigars to be deleted next year. Ken and Rob back of from the tasting of the Royal Selection No 11 with this cigar and find a couple of little differences within this box.

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

happy christmas smithy and thanks for all your work. hopefully you'll be able to get back in front of the camera in '10.

and i'd like to apologise for wearing a redskins cap after the appalling, dire, dismal non-effort yesterday. worse than the proverbial hapless water buffalos stuck in the mud. they think that fixing that mob of headless chickens is going to be a short term job, they are in serious denial.

and as for the gentleman who mentioned elsewhere that he saw some light at the end of the tunnel for his raiders, well think of it like this - the joke that is the skins beat them. how bad can that be????

happy christmas all.

Another great review guys cheers.

I actually had one of these while I was out the other night which I received off a mate, I assume it was 08 from the youngish tones I was getting from it and it aswell started with peanut/varnished cedar taste. It ended with a strong earth taste although I did rush it abit towards the end. Not a bad cigar but I agree with Ken that it will become more defined in a few years.

Thanks for the reviews guys and Rob, please watch what you scratch on camera!!! LOL!!!

That was another one of those instances when Rob thought the camera was off. This is what happens when you let kids play with expensive equipment.

Nice, thanks guys. Rob, I think t would be great if you could earmark some cigars whose reviews suggest they need 3 or 5 years and come back to that same box down the road. It would make for some great conversation if nothing else.

Nice, thanks guys. Rob, I think t would be great if you could earmark some cigars whose reviews suggest they need 3 or 5 years and come back to that same box down the road. It would make for some great conversation if nothing else.

Lise says I can't have any more cigars ;)

Another great review!

I'm still trying to figure this review out. The defining moment here was when Rob called Ken out on his dwarfism. It was a funny remark but SO true. I understand that Ken finds a small smoke diabolical--heck, I dislike the monster smokes like a Sublime and a Super Robusto. We all have our faves.

At its best, the RS 12 is a tremendous Petit Corona. The '08s in particular are filled with a great richness- even at barely two years of age. However, ALL Punch cigars need age and most need a lot of age before you get what you paid for. My cab of SS #2 is just opening into something special and they're from '98. The RS 12 is in this category too--it needs as much age as it can get. It's a bummer --I really hate delayed gratification--but I liken Punch cigars to a Chateau Lafite or a Chateau Margaux. We aren't drinking and loving the '04s but we're treasuring the 64s and 71s, etc.

In any case, I have some EMA February '08 RS 12s and they are a great vintage of a great cigar. I hope those of you who like this vitola will try them before they are gone forever.

I'm still trying to figure this review out. The defining moment here was when Rob called Ken out on his dwarfism. It was a funny remark but SO true. I understand that Ken finds a small smoke diabolical--heck, I dislike the monster smokes like a Sublime and a Super Robusto. We all have our faves.

At its best, the RS 12 is a tremendous Petit Corona. The '08s in particular are filled with a great richness- even at barely two years of age. However, ALL Punch cigars need age and most need a lot of age before you get what you paid for. My cab of SS #2 is just opening into something special and they're from '98. The RS 12 is in this category too--it needs as much age as it can get. It's a bummer --I really hate delayed gratification--but I liken Punch cigars to a Chateau Lafite or a Chateau Margaux. We aren't drinking and loving the '04s but we're treasuring the 64s and 71s, etc.

In any case, I have some EMA February '08 RS 12s and they are a great vintage of a great cigar. I hope those of you who like this vitola will try them before they are gone forever.

agree hugely re the ss2's - have smoked a lot of them and down to the last cab which is getting as much age as i can allow.

it is true i prefer larger smokes but also enjoy some of the smaller ones occasionally. as i mentioned in the vid, i have bought a number of cabs of the PLPC's from rob and love them. not adverse to the occasional smaller smokes from montecristo or cohiba or partagas. when called to name them, rob came up with one that he knows i hate from my experiences. if it were larger i'd probably hate it more. but he could only find one (it isn't as though smithy cut the tape).

i think i found the 11's we smoked so spectacular that this 12 paled a bit.

rob came up with one that he knows i hate from my experiences. if it were larger i'd probably hate it more. but he could only find one (it isn't as though smithy cut the tape).

Rob did mention another 3 small cigars they were

Boli Corona Junior

Partagas Shorts

Cuaba Divinos

I will let you fill in what you said for each.

agree hugely re the ss2's - have smoked a lot of them and down to the last cab which is getting as much age as i can allow.

it is true i prefer larger smokes but also enjoy some of the smaller ones occasionally. as i mentioned in the vid, i have bought a number of cabs of the PLPC's from rob and love them. not adverse to the occasional smaller smokes from montecristo or cohiba or partagas. when called to name them, rob came up with one that he knows i hate from my experiences. if it were larger i'd probably hate it more. but he could only find one (it isn't as though smithy cut the tape).

i think i found the 11's we smoked so spectacular that this 12 paled a bit.

Fair enough. I just wish you had a better one to smoke as these are a joy.

Ken: How old is your oldest SS 2? And do you like the SS 1 to the same degree?

Fair enough. I just wish you had a better one to smoke as these are a joy.

Ken: How old is your oldest SS 2? And do you like the SS 1 to the same degree?

my remaining cabinet is from 2002, which is what the majority i've smoked are from. probably would always reach for these ahead of the SS1's as they have been so relaible, bar one batch we found in cuba a few trips back. one of the classics.

Rob did mention another 3 small cigars they were

Boli Corona Junior

Partagas Shorts

Cuaba Divinos

I will let you fill in what you said for each.

well thank you, little miss dobber.

sorry, what i meant to convey was that he did not name another smaller format smoke that i do not like. i am not unhappy with either the boli or the partagas and i do not consider the cuaba a cigar, merely a sad mistake that needs rectifying asap (habanos, if you must go on your deleting bender, start - and finish - with cuaba). rancid dog droppings glued together with whale eye puss is not a cigar.

Great review guys...always fun to watch...especially with Smithy's editing skills. Have to say that I have never been a big fan of the RS12, too many other better cigars in this vitola...IMHO. However, I do love the RS11...and will be sad to see that go next year (if it does). Happy Holidays...