Late 90's Upmann's

Hey guys, I haven't been around these parts in a while, so I thought I would get a little habanos discussion going.

What Im looking for here is a discussion about the 1998 Connossieur No.1 and 1998 Monarcas. Just your thoughts about the year for these cigars. It is really a specific topic here but one that I thought would be interesting. Also, what other cigars from the Upmann line from mid to late 90's is worth looking at?

Cheers!

I have smoked both the '98 Connies and Monarcas AT. Given a preference, I'd take the Monarcas. Damned good cigars. The '98 Connie is a good cigar, but I actually prefer the recent 2008 version. Even though they're still pretty young, they show a depth of flavor, complexity and sweetness that should, in time, allow them to surpass the '98s.

Hey guys, I haven't been around these parts in a while, so I thought I would get a little habanos discussion going.

What Im looking for here is a discussion about the 1998 Connossieur No.1 and 1998 Monarcas. Just your thoughts about the year for these cigars. It is really a specific topic here but one that I thought would be interesting. Also, what other cigars from the Upmann line from mid to late 90's is worth looking at?

Cheers!

I've been smoking some late 90s Churchills recently ( some of them were 98s) including the Bolivar tubed Churchills, SLR tubed Churchills and the Monarchs in tube. The Monarchs (98s) are really excellent now--strong, balanced, a bit herbal with a pronounced and clean tobacco taste. Excellent. A couple of tight ones in the box but otherwise totally enjoyable. Wish I had more. Just a bit off topic: The Bolivar tubed Churchill is just so incredibly good it makes you wonder why they ever went away. And really gorgeous tubes as well.

I have smoked both the '98 Connies and Monarcas AT. Given a preference, I'd take the Monarcas. Damned good cigars. The '98 Connie is a good cigar, but I actually prefer the recent 2008 version. Even though they're still pretty young, they show a depth of flavor, complexity and sweetness that should, in time, allow them to surpass the '98s.

Ditto. Except I have not had any 08 Connies. :buddies:

I think the two standouts for me from that period are the Upmann Monarchs and the Upmann Super Corona. I really miss the Upmann Super Corona. It was one of my favourite Corona Gorda's of all time.