Loose or Box Storage

ERJenkins

Hello everyone:

I have finally given up buying more desktop humidors to take care of my cigars and have decided to go for a small cabinet (with my desktop ones, that should give me 400+ capacity).

My question is about box storage - are there any opinions about the best way to store cigars - in box or loose?

I do age my cigars but not usually for too long - I won't leave a box completely alone for 3 years for instance and would just save a proportion for long term aging. This would potentially mean lots of half full boxes...

Thanks for any advice.

Eliot

Here's a link to a fairly recent, similar thread:

Link

For what it's worth, I like to leave cigars in boxes as long as possible. Open up a nearly full box of cigars and take a deep whiff, then do the

same with a desktop full of singles. I usually find the box will have a more intense aroma.

But in the end, I've had batches of singles which have aged nicely and tasted great sitting loose in a desktop.

Welcome to FOH.

Thanks for the advice and welcome.

I think I will indeed go for the cabinet and use boxes - seems like doing anything else is just delaying the inevitable...

Great to see a forum focusing on Cubans. There's always plenty of stuff for the American market but I suppose the rest of us are a bit spread out. I moved from the UK to the US two years ago and was stuck on mostly American market cigars until I found a few websites such as Cigar Czar - it is great to get back onto Habanos - still the best by far.

Eliot

Welcome to FOH. I too tend to keep my cigars in boxes even if there are only a few sticks left in it. When I need to make room for more boxes, I wll begin to empty those singles into a drawer. To be honest though...this is just me being neurotic. I can't imagine that being in a drawer with different singles would change the profile of a cigar all that much, at least not in the short term...as of course not including flavored sticks.

The truth be told the box represents an environment inside an environment. This, like everything in the cigar world is a double edged sword. The rewards in my opinion outweigh the liabilities in some cases. The reward is that the box shields the cigars inside from rapid environmental change. I am not a believer that some change damages cigars but there is too much to risk when your collection becomes an "asset." That insulation is a drawback when you are looking to smoke 70RH cigars at 63RH. It may take months to have them come to equilibrium inside a box in a small differential RH environment.

I store inside my original boxes whenever I can. The box itself is not worth much to me. But as I began to use refrigerated humidors it became apparent what changes take place in a humidor when the cooler is turned on. I tend to believe that cigars kept in room weather benefit little from a box, as in a desktop unit. Once refrigeration is in place all things change.

If storing within a large temperature controlled device, I would keep all cigars within a box. The box represent a micro environment within the macro environment, dampening the swings in temp and RH that the individual cigars are exposed to during refrigeration cycles. IMHO.